Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Top 3 Most Dominant Contestants in History  (Read 17849 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Top 3 Most Dominant Contestants in History
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 09:52:21 AM »
Sometime ago it was mentioned that one of the contestants on I Survived a Japanese Game Show had managed to be on the winning side of every challenge from wire to wire. Does that make the gal whose name I can\'t remember the most dominant challenge performer in reality competition history? Naw, it means she was a tad fortunate. In team sports there\'s all sorts of solo statistics because they\'re interesting to track and they tell how well a particular athlete is performing, but it makes no difference if the team isn\'t good.

Karol\'s performance, such as it was, should be judged in the paradigm where it existed.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »

Of those nine, how many blew through a stack and three quarters of questions without using lifelines, calling Dad not withstanding?

I\'d say the only thing that gives Carpenter the possible nod is him doing well on his second stack. Both David Goodman and Steve Perry outshone Carpenter in the whole no-using-lifelines department by facing more difficult questions, and several players reached the MDQ with two lifelines facing more difficult stacks.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »

I\'d say the only thing that gives Carpenter the possible nod is him doing well on his second stack.

A thing to note; on the $500,000 question in his second game, John mentions that since he\'s playing half for charity he was less inclined to have a go. Could he have beaten the game twice? We\'ll never know. What we know is that he was jointly the top money winner for the champions episodes, solidly beating the other millionaires. We also know that only those early winners got the same opportunity.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised that they didn\'t go for a second TOC ep later on. They sure would\'ve had plenty of people to draw upon.

Now that you mention it- didn\'t Dan Blonsky llama out in his turn? Or did he make it past the first five, only to lose shortly after? I know he didn\'t get very far.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:51:21 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »

A thing to note; on the $500,000 question in his second game, John mentions that since he\'s playing half for charity he was less inclined to have a go. Could he have beaten the game twice? We\'ll never know.

Depends on if he would have gone with his brother or his own gut on that question. Remember his gut was wrong.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »

Let\'s focus on the wins, not the dollar amount here. The average take for winning a game on TTD is somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000. Take out a few tie games here and there that really add to the pot (I think Tom had a $30K+ one), and at the end of the day, only a third of that money at best came from actual knowledge based gameplay. The other $200K or so was made up of cruises, cookware, and disco jukeboxes earned by avoiding dragons.

In You Can Be a Contestant and Win! by Susan Sackett and Cheryl Blythe the authors broke down Thom\'s winnings as $199,500(ish) in cash and the rest prizes. If we assume that $48,000 of that is eight cars, he has about $65,000 in prizes remaining. Depending on how big the prize packages were ($2,500 or so? $1,000 of each prize package was the money goal) then that means he won twenty-ish times, about half-and-half.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:01 PM »
In other words, Jeremy was wrong.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2013, 07:11:45 PM »
I beg your pardon. Why does it need to be said \"in other words\" at all? I used the words I said.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »

I beg your pardon. Why does it need to be said \"in other words\" at all? I used the words I said.

We both did end up making the same point. Confirmation is what I got in your post.

I wasn\'t meaning to slam you- just needed confirmation that there was more front game winnings in Thom\'s total than just a third. I did lay it on a bit too thick asking Jetemy to own it and shouldn\'t have. My bad.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:17:01 PM by PYLdude »

davidbod

David J. Bodycombe, Labyrinth Games

Author of How To Devise A Game Show