Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Top 3 Most Dominant Contestants in History  (Read 17843 times)

pyrfan

Top 3 Most Dominant Contestants in History
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 02:00:56 AM »

I\'ll add to this list \"Password Plus\" winner Karol Hicks. She was the only 7-time champ to win all of her games $400-$0, never letting any of her opponents win even one puzzle.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 02:09:28 AM »
Going back to Pat and Liz McCarthy for a second- would you consider them as the whole team or would you have to split based on performance?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jay Temple

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:01 AM »

I\'ll add to this list \"Password Plus\" winner Karol Hicks. She was the only 7-time champ to win all of her games $400-$0, never letting any of her opponents win even one puzzle.

I won\'t necessarily say she\'s my #3, but whoever wants to say it\'s someone else has to show why that person ranks ahead of her. That\'s 21 solves in a row. I would say anyone from Blockbusters would have to win 20 games and lose none in order to place ahead of her.

As much as I\'d love the recognition for a Pyramid contestant, I can\'t give it to Kief Ferrendini. If she were truly dominant, she would have lasted longer in the main game. I\'d say she\'s the equivalent of the greatest left-handed pitcher or the greatest switch-hitter.

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BillCullen1

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »

I would vote for Jennings, McKee and Frank Dillon, who won over $100,000 on The Jokers Wild.  I remember Jack Barry offering him a job with the B-E company after his Tournament of Champions win. Dillon was also on Jeopardy  but lost his game.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »

Dillon was also on Jeopardy  but lost his game.

But in a dominant fashion, I\'m sure.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Matté

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »

I won\'t necessarily say she\'s my #3, but whoever wants to say it\'s someone else has to show why that person ranks ahead of her. That\'s 21 solves in a row.

To be fair to the others in the contestant pool, it wasn\'t exactly 21 solves in a row for her, it was her and the celebrity partners solving the puzzles. While this doesn\'t necessarily make her an awful contestant, it means she had very good celebs too and the honor should be shared jointly.

BillCullen1

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »

Dillon was also on Jeopardy  but lost his game.

But in a dominant fashion, I\'m sure.

Oh yeah. After Alex asked Dillon to verify his answer, he declared Dillon as being wrong. Damned if I can remember the FJ question. Wish I could.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »

I don\'t know if it fits the list seeing as it\'s an Australian contestant on an Australian show, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Jones_(Australian_politician)\'>Barry Jones. The winner of 208 episodes of Pick-A-Box spanning a period of eight years.

From reading the description the show reads a whole lot like Treasure Hunt. Whoever answers more out of five questions correctly chooses a box and can either keep the contents therein or a cash substitute.

What I find interesting about this endeavor is that some people say \"the correct answer\" or \"If person X isn\'t included the list has no cred\" when there are many contestants who can put their stick in the ground for it, and I find it high-falutin\' and haughty in the highest order to claim that one is more correct than another on a matter of opinion.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »

I don\'t know if it fits the list seeing as it\'s an Australian contestant on an Australian show, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Jones_(Australian_politician)\'>Barry Jones. The winner of 208 episodes of Pick-A-Box spanning a period of eight years.

From reading the description the show reads a whole lot like Treasure Hunt. Whoever answers more out of five questions correctly chooses a box and can either keep the contents therein or a cash substitute.

What I find interesting about this endeavor is that some people say \"the correct answer\" or \"If person X isn\'t included the list has no cred\" when there are many contestants who can put their stick in the ground for it, and I find it high-falutin\' and haughty in the highest order to claim that one is more correct than another on a matter of opinion.

It\'s even more high falutin\' to dismiss someone\'s accomplishment because one thinks the material they faced was too easy, not taking other factors into account.

Wouldn\'t you agree?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »

Third would be John Carpenter.  He beat all the fastest finger opponents and answered all the questions to win the million.  A household name.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Bryce L.

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 08:00:48 PM »

Third would be John Carpenter.  He beat all the fastest finger opponents and answered all the questions to win the million.  A household name.

If you are just going to leave it at that, there are eight other players who could make that same claim

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »
One of which very nearly duplicated the feat, at age 24.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »

If you are just going to leave it at that, there are eight other players who could make that same claim

Of those nine, how many blew through a stack and three quarters of questions without using lifelines, calling Dad not withstanding?

Don Howard

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »

Not at my house.

My three: Teddy Nadler (1950s superchampion who I believe did win honestly), John Hatten and Ken Jennings.

pyrfan

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 02:15:19 AM »

I won\'t necessarily say she\'s my #3, but whoever wants to say it\'s someone else has to show why that person ranks ahead of her. That\'s 21 solves in a row.

To be fair to the others in the contestant pool, it wasn\'t exactly 21 solves in a row for her, it was her and the celebrity partners solving the puzzles. While this doesn\'t necessarily make her an awful contestant, it means she had very good celebs too and the honor should be shared jointly.

Excellent point. To that, though, I would say that it was Karol giving good clues to her celebrity partners that allowed her team to keep the ball long enough for the celebrity to correctly solve the puzzle. I\'d also add that each of Karol\'s opponents had the same excellent celebrities that she did -- Susan Richardson, Peter Marshall, Joanna Gleason, and Jon Bauman -- and never had his/her team solve one puzzle while playing against Karol\'s team. So while Karol certainly had good help during her run, so did all of her opponents.