Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Home game writing  (Read 3591 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Home game writing
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »

Is home game material written by a show\'s contributors or by the game manufacturer?  I know some shows lifted material straight from the show; Wipeout DOS game in the late 80\'s comes to mind immediately.  Thanks.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Home game writing
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:47:13 PM »

I remember reading in Harry Eisenberg\'s Jeopardy book that some of the game material was separately licensed for home versions.

Also, I\'m pretty sure the first edition of MB Concentration featured puzzles written by the MB people.

Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

Home game writing
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »

There\'s no right answer.  Some did it themselves, some used show material.  I know when I interviewed for a job with Milton Bradley in the eighties, they told me that the game material was all written in-house by MB employees.  However, as you say, some material is clearly taken directly from actual game play.  The one surviving episode of The Who What or Where Game features some questions that appear in the home game, and that was MB.

Long answer way of saying \"It depends.\"

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:34:20 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Home game writing
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 07:08:19 AM »

Is home game material written by a show\'s contributors or by the game manufacturer?  I know some shows lifted material straight from the show; Wipeout DOS game in the late 80\'s comes to mind immediately.  Thanks.

The Family Feud DOS game (made by the same people that did Wipeout) also lifted material directly from the first few weeks of shows.

--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Home game writing
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:11:08 AM »

Wouldn\'t there be writer\'s guild stipulations if Q&As were lifted from the show? 

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
Home game writing
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:20:22 AM »

There\'s no right answer.  Some did it themselves, some used show material.  I know when I interviewed for a job with Milton Bradley in the eighties, they told me that the game material was all written in-house by MB employees.  However, as you say, some material is clearly taken directly from actual game play.  The one surviving episode of The Who What or Where Game features some questions that appear in the home game, and that was MB.

Long answer way of saying \"It depends.\"

I figured the answer would be that, especially for games which were made when the show was not on the air at the time, like the 14th edition of Jeopardy from 1982.  I was curious if the contributors to shows (Chris C., others who may be lurking) would share their experiences.

Bob Zager

Home game writing
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »

I\'ve often found that the  home versions will mention somewhere in the instruction/question booklets that the material is taken from the actual TV show, whenever that\'s the case.

Adam Nedeff

Home game writing
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »

Wouldn\'t there be writer\'s guild stipulations if Q&As were lifted from the show? 

If the writers were unionized, yes. I know Goodson didn\'t have union writers; I\'m curious, did any game show packagers have union writers?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Home game writing
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »

If the writers were unionized, yes. I know Goodson didn\'t have union writers; I\'m curious, did any game show packagers have union writers?

ISTR a situation where Aaron Solomon had to walk off of the set of whatever show (Donnymid, maybe?) he was working on when the last big writer\'s strike happened, so possibly.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GSNFAN3000

Home game writing
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »

I\'ve often found that the  home versions will mention somewhere in the instruction/question booklets that the material is taken from the actual TV show, whenever that\'s the case.

Yes, the 70s versions of the \"Match Game\" board games used questions and answers from the show.

Steve Gavazzi

Home game writing
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »

ISTR a situation where Aaron Solomon had to walk off of the set of whatever show (Donnymid, maybe?) he was working on when the last big writer\'s strike happened, so possibly.

Wasn\'t Donnymid -- that was cancelled years before the strike happened. I wanna say it was Temptation.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Home game writing
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 09:28:24 PM »
That sounds right.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Home game writing
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 10:17:41 PM »

You know what, I think it was Temptation. I kept thinking Donnymid but then I also kept thinking, as Steve said, \"dammit, but the timing doesn\'t work out there...\"

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Home game writing
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 11:25:11 PM »

It was definitely Temptation, though the specific situation wasn\'t exactly what you\'re describing. 

I think Adam\'s original question, though, was more with regard to the \"classic\" era of game show producers, the Goodsons, Barrises, Stewarts, Enrights and the like. 

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:25:54 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.