Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best thrift store/garage sale game show find?  (Read 13181 times)

pacdude

Best thrift store/garage sale game show find?
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
Lemon, that first link of the controller was the box it came in!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 06:11:45 PM »

Well, that makes sense, since the contents look like yours too. :)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Bryce L.

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »

Now if they do this same thing, only for Sega Genesis, I\'ll be in business...

\'Cuz if it\'s the latter, http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Retrolink-USB-Controller-RETROBIT/dp/B0080M0C4O\'>congratulations, you\'re in business.

Thank you, looks like I\'m in business indeed! :-)

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »

Somewhat tangential to the topic of buying GS home games, I am in the process of working through my father\'s estate.  Before he passed away I was handed back all of my old board games, and they\'re in the garage.   They can\'t stay there. 

Based on my read of the thread so far, it seems like I have nothing earth-shattering-- probably the best of the lot is a Pay Cards! home game.  There\'s a Concentration and a WOF which was completely unopened until my kids opened it.  I need to check on edition numbers and such for these.

It seems to me that thrift stores might not the best way to get these into the hands of those who would really appreciate them-- which is what I\'d really like to do; i.e. folks here.   Any ideas from the group on how to do this?

George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Bryce L.

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »

Best I can say is put up offers for anyone who wants to buy them here, and have people message you off-board if they\'re interested... I recently got a bunch of tapes from someone here on this board by responding to an open offer they posted here, so I know posts of that sort DO get noticed... good luck!

pacdude

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 12:34:05 AM »

I would totally buy the Pay Cards and the Concentration from you! E-mail me (cory@pacdudegames.com) and we can set something up.

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 03:09:35 PM »

If there\'s no objection from the moderators-- I\'ll put up a post in a new thread about this. 

Let me verify condition, editions, and the like and compile a full list-- please stand by, it could be a few days (or more, depending on the day job).

George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Allstar87

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »

One of my best game show finds wasn\'t a board game...it was an old VHS tape that had a 2002 episode of It\'s Academic. Really was a blast watching it. :)

Board game related, I found a good quality copy of the 1986 TPIR board game, and a still-sealed copy of Trivial Pursuit: Game Show. I paid about $2 for each.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »

I found a 1960s Jeopardy! home game at the St. Vincent dePaul in Marquette, Michigan, but I didn\'t feel like spending $20 on it. Found a 1970s Family Feud at a garage sale once, and I have several old Wheel board games from the 80s somewhere. I also have Jeopardy! for the NES, which I bought when I was about 10.

I\'m actually not overly interested in old home games, and it doesn\'t help that the stores around here tend to have very few of them.

What I like to find most at thrift shops are:

1.) Old VHSes and DVDs of obscure or hard-to-find cartoons. Some (The Little Fox) are treasures; some (Bonkers) are vague childhood memories; some (Butt-Ugly Martians) are probably crap, but at least seem like they\'d be fun to mock.

2.) Obscure CDs, usually country. One good find was a country music sampler disc that RCA packaged with Maxwell House coffee in 1996 — at least one of the songs on it was from an album that never had a physical release. I\'ve also found at least two advance copies of albums that never had \"real\" releases, and one of the albums that Hunter Hayes did back when he was still a child.

3.) Books that look interesting in one way or another. Sometimes the title is enough to draw me in — I Don\'t Remember Dropping the Skunk, but I Do Remember Trying to Breathe is one of the best titles I\'ve ever heard, even if it\'s a Christian life lessons book for teenagers.

If a store has homemade VHS recordings, then I will frequently check the labels in the off-chance that any have old game shows. So far, the best I\'ve done is the credits to Classic Concentration on a tape I found at a senior center.

Bobby Peacock

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »

If a store has homemade VHS recordings, then I will frequently check the labels in the off-chance that any have old game shows.

Personally, I just buy the tapes and look through them when I get home. Surprisingly, no game show stuff.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »

The only VHS tape I\'ve ever purchased at a thrift store is \"Expansion\" #1 for http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103736/tv-play-along-wheel-of-fortune\'>this little beauty at a Salvation Army.  It\'s still in the shrink wrap, although I might bust it out one day since my fiancee still has a VHS player and I still have the unit that I got for Christmas when I was four years old.

clemon79

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »

The only VHS tape I\'ve ever purchased at a thrift store is \"Expansion\" #1 for http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103736/tv-play-along-wheel-of-fortune\'>this little beauty at a Salvation Army.  It\'s still in the shrink wrap, although I might bust it out one day since my fiancee still has a VHS player and I still have the unit that I got for Christmas when I was four years old.

Do you still have a tube-TV kicking around, as well?

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »

Sure do!

clemon79

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 09:55:34 PM »

Sure do!

In that case, you\'re good then! :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 10:06:23 PM »
That little console helped me pass a whole bunch of time after my attempt to run over the neighbor\'s minivan on my bike went terribly wrong.
Travis L. Eberle