Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune Road Locations...  (Read 20267 times)

SuperMatch93

Wheel of Fortune Road Locations...
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 12:33:30 PM »

I\'d also suggest contacting WEWS if you haven\'t already to see if the episodes are in their archive.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »
You may also want to contact WKEF and WKBW, as they apparently also aired these shows...and WBNS, which I'll explain in a bit.

I would love a little more firm of an account than the two in that particular thread.
I think I found it per Variety (8/10/83 Weekly, Page 54). Searching for "Ohio State Fair" Wheel brought part of this up, and a bit more digging got this:

WBNS-TV plans to air more than 40 hours of programs from the Ohio State Fair, including two syndicated shows that will be taped at the station's pavilion. The noon editions of the news will air live from the pavilion on weekdays during the fair; the syndicated gameshow "Wheel Of Fortune" will be taped there on Aug. 18-19 and "The 20-Minute Workout" will be taped there on Aug. 9-10.
So there you go. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:48:51 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »

You may also want to contact WKEF and WKBW, as they apparently also aired these shows...and WBNS, which I\'ll explain in a bit.

I would love a little more firm of an account than the two in that particular thread.

I think I found it per Variety (8/10/83 Weekly, Page 54). Searching for \"Ohio State Fair\" Wheel brought part of this up, and a bit more digging got this:

WBNS-TV plans to air more than 40 hours of programs from the Ohio State Fair, including two syndicated shows that will be taped at the station\'s pavilion. The noon editions of the news will air live from the pavilion on weekdays during the fair; the syndicated gameshow \"Wheel Of Fortune\" will be taped there on Aug. 18-19 and \"The 20-Minute Workout\" will be taped there on Aug. 9-10.

So there you go. :)

Which is no indication that these were the first episodes taped.

Which I also believe would still not have been the case.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »

Yeah, and another thing I would like to address:

When it was first announced that there would be a Syndicated edition earlier that same year, they said that there would be 39 weeks of first-run episodes, followed by 13 weeks of repeats. This is according to issues of Broadcasting Magazine. It\'s possible that those OSF episodes were done after the actual first Syndie tapings (the ones in Burbank), and were done just for fun, for local station purposes.

Oh, and here\'s a testimony from Paul E. Schindler, Jr. He was a contestant on episode 52 of the syndicated version. It doesn\'t say much, but he mentions the taping date of his episode as August 28, 1983. I guess it might help pin-point the actual date of the first Syndie tapings.

http://www.schindler.org/jepwheel.htm\'>http://www.schindler.org/jepwheel.htm

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:11:01 PM by gameshowlover87 »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 12:32:26 AM »
It's possible that those OSF episodes were done after the actual first Syndie tapings (the ones in Burbank), and were done just for fun, for local station purposes.
I don't think it was ever disputed that they were meant solely for the Ohio markets, because it's pretty clear they were. I'm pretty sure they were not done "just for fun", or at least the only definition that comes to mind (no actual money or prizes awarded/stuff awarded but not the same budget as the Burbank-produced shows), though.

When it was first announced that there would be a Syndicated edition earlier that same year, they said that there would be 39 weeks of first-run episodes, followed by 13 weeks of repeats.
Everything I've seen about the Season 1 package stated "39 first-run weeks and 13 weeks of repeats" with no "followed by" -- the first two rerun weeks were during the season (one in late December or early January, the other in March or April), with the remainder being in the Summer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:46:43 PM by Dan88 »

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »

Bobby, why did you delete my edits on the WOF Timeline?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »

That\'s how he do.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »

Which ones?

Bobby Peacock

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
I thought Wikipedia had a \"talk\" page where the two of you could resolve quarrels like this.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 06:11:36 PM »

Which ones?

This:

On August 28, 1983, 3 weeks prior to the Syndicated versions\' debut, Paul Schindler, Jr. appeared during a taping of the show as contestant no. 3. No. 1 and no. 2 were two females (Francine and Kim respectively), and the episode was designated as Show #52. The first tapings of this version in Burbank, California were presumably a month prior to this.

Now I see you put it back.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:26:38 PM by gameshowlover87 »

Twentington

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »

I thought Wikipedia had a \"talk\" page where the two of you could resolve quarrels like this.

This is actually on my Wheel of Fortune History Wiki, but talk pages still exist there. Either way, I\'ve restored his edit.

Bobby Peacock

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »
Now I see you put it back.
And I've removed it because it's badly-written and redundant, especially since the placement of #S-052 already mentions the player names and recording date.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:44:13 PM by Dan88 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »

Game show Wikipedia pages. Serious Bizness.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 08:17:29 PM »

Daniel, you stated your edit much better than I did. Thank you.

Twentington

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »

Game show Wikipedia pages. Serious Bizness.

Again, this is an unofficial wiki on Wikia, not Wikipedia. But I suppose the \"serious business\" still applies. :D

Bobby Peacock