Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century to GSN.  (Read 103080 times)

Bill Neuweiler

$ale of the Century to GSN.
« Reply #540 on: July 16, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »

(Just got around to watching the final week)

Looked like that guy had a control box or something...person responsible for working the turntable and (WBMG) podia, perhaps?

I thought that as well.  

<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Bill Neuweiler

« Reply #541 on: July 16, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »

Jim always says that the player in the lead can buy bargain merchandise, was this rule the same in prior versions of the show? 

<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #542 on: July 16, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »

In the original $ale of the Century here in America, as well as over the UK, I believe you had to be the first of the three contestants (or two couples from 1973-1974 here in America) to buzz in as soon as it was revealed in order to purchase it.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:23:15 AM by gameshowlover87 »

rwalker

« Reply #543 on: July 22, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »
I\'d venture we will see a few more shows from this stack. There\'s at least one Christmas show on yt from 1988. Was there a week or two of Christmas shows for Sale?

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #544 on: July 23, 2013, 12:17:35 PM »

I\'d venture we will see a few more shows from this stack. There\'s at least one Christmas show on yt from 1988. Was there a week or two of Christmas shows for Sale?

Yes, but the first go-around, they skipped Christmas and went straight to \'89.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #545 on: July 23, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »

And New Year\'s, for that matter.

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

That Don Guy

« Reply #546 on: July 23, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »

In the original $ale of the Century here in America, as well as over the UK, I believe you had to be the first of the three contestants (or two couples from 1973-1974 here in America) to buzz in as soon as it was revealed in order to purchase it.

Not only that, but in the American version, they would announce the price first, then reveal it from behind a curtain - and if you buzzed in before the reveal, it was called \"No Sale\", and you lost the price of the item without winning it.  (I don\'t remember how they determined which of the other two players could then purchase it; in the couples version, Joe just asked the other couple if they wanted to buy it.)

SuperMatch93

« Reply #547 on: July 23, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »

I don\'t remember how they determined which of the other two players could then purchase it; in the couples version, Joe just asked the other couple if they wanted to buy it.

Could it have been the next of the two remaining players to buzz in?

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #548 on: July 24, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »

Two questions I have about both 70\'s and 80\'s Syndicated versions:

Was the 1970\'s one ever seen on N.Y. and L.A. stations from September 1973-September 1974?

Which stations carried the 1980\'s one for the entire run from January 7, 1985 to September 1986? I imagine WLS-TV Chicago and WXYZ-TV Detroit were among them, but I\'m not sure about that.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #549 on: July 24, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »

Was the 1970\'s one ever seen on N.Y. and L.A. stations from September 1973-September 1974?

Which stations carried the 1980\'s one for the entire run from January 7, 1985 to September 1986? I imagine WLS-TV Chicago and WXYZ-TV Detroit were among them, but I\'m not sure about that.

According to my back issues of TV Guide, the 70\'s $ale never aired in NYC or LA.  Closest it came to NYC was Hartford/New Haven. 

Detroit had it from the beginning, but not the entire run.  Grand Rapids had it in prime access to the end.  Don\'t know about Chicago.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Bryce L.

« Reply #550 on: July 24, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »

Question about the 1985-1986 run...

Were the shows all first-run straight through to September 1986? I know some shows that do not get renewed for the fall will air their last first-run show in May or June, then show repeats until September when the station picks up something new for the timeslot. I wasn\'t sure if that was the way the syndicated Sale went out

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #551 on: July 24, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »

According to my back issues of TV Guide, the 70\'s $ale never aired in NYC or LA.  Closest it came to NYC was Hartford/New Haven. 

Detroit had it from the beginning, but not the entire run.  Grand Rapids had it in prime access to the end.  Don\'t know about Chicago.

Chicago had it in 1985. I\'m not sure if it stuck around WLS for season 2.

BrandonFG

« Reply #552 on: July 24, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »

I know WVEC in Norfolk aired the second season at 4:00 pm. Not sure about season 1; I\'m pretty sure they had Joker\'s Wild and Tic Tac Dough in that hour in what would\'ve been the first season.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #553 on: July 25, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »

According to my back issues of TV Guide, the 70\'s $ale never aired in NYC or LA.  Closest it came to NYC was Hartford/New Haven

Wow - to me that\'s surprising.  I can\'t think of too many other syndicated games of the era that didn\'t air in either of the top two markets.  I thought NYC had virtually everything.

I am aware that the nighttime Wheel didn\'t start airing there until mid-season, but that was a decade later.

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!