Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ebay Finds 5/2013  (Read 5899 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Ebay Finds 5/2013
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:53:53 AM »
Some things I found while browsing around...
* A "rough cut" of the Smush premiere (this seller has a lot of tapes and DVDs that were sent by networks to media outlets or for Emmy consideration)

* Million-Dollar Money Drop "preview reel" DVD (the premiere, some behind-the-scenes stuff, and an electronic press kit; same seller as above)

* DVD of the Who's Still Standing? premiere, possibly before they edited in the Christmas stuff (same seller as above; oddly, it has an episode title: "Country Strong")

* DVD of Take Me Out (US version) which includes, of all things, a "dating kit" (same seller as above; this one ended on April 30, but I found this way too strange to not share)

* This one isn't from the above seller and ended back on February 24, but I found it interesting for historical reasons -- a 16mm film reel containing the July 18, 1957 episode of High Low. The seller, who didn't have a projector, notes in the description that "There is only one existing episode of this short lived series known to exist - all the episodes were destroyed by NBC. The episode up for auction today would be only the second known episode known to exist from this series" (he may have looked at the individual frames to determine this, since one picture is a close-up of some frames). Another picture indicates that this film came from an NBC facility at Eaglewood, New Jersey -- possibly the same place You Bet Your Life was saved from.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 02:33:59 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »

Mini-rant on the state of TV today...

Looking at the Who\'s Still Standing listing, I notice two things that have become common on shows (and for me annoying):

1) the aforementioned episode title. Dunno what it is, but something annoys me about game and reality shows having episode titles, as if it\'s a sitcom or drama. Maybe that\'s what it is: there\'s already a thin line between fabricated and scripted game/\"reality\" shows...adding a title makes it even more like a sitcom. But I guess for rerun or DVR purposes, it\'s a necessary evil (not really).

2) Ben crossing his arms has become the most overdone photography cliche I\'ve ever seen, esp. on TV shows. The cable channels LOVE doing that shite in their promos.

/Get off my lawn

//I need coffee

///Smush was a fun little show

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »
Mini-rant on the state of TV today...
I can see why they\'d do it that way; \"Country Strong\" might give you an idea of who the hero is, and that\'s a better indication than \"101\".
Travis L. Eberle

colonial

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »

IIRC most, if not all, of the WSS episodes had movie-related titles to them.

Isn\'t it illegal to sell these \"media preview\" DVDs?  The WSS DVD I received from work has that warning, and the Money Drop DVD appears to have that warning on the bottom of the pictured disc.

JD

BrandonFG

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 11:54:01 AM »
Travis\' point makes sense and I think I figured out my annoyance with the practice...to me it makes it seem like the producers want to shoehorn a plot line into the show, when it\'s nothing more than a word game. It goes hand in hand with my annoyance with \"reality\" shows becoming increasingly scripted.

/Or in the case of \"House Hunters\" and \"Pawn Stars\", fake
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:54:34 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

irwinsjournal.com

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
Isn\'t it illegal to sell these \"media preview\" DVDs?  The WSS DVD I received from work has that warning, and the Money Drop DVD appears to have that warning on the bottom of the pictured disc.

JD

Probably in the same way that \"Promo Copies\" of 45s and CDs were/are... and I used to see them by the hundreds at record shows.  Technically, the listings probably should have been pulled by eBay-- I haven\'t read their list of \"can\'t sell items\" in a long time but I thought this kind of material made the list.

George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Matt Ottinger

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 02:58:26 PM »

\"Illegal\" suggests a law is being broken, and I\'m not absolutely sure that\'s the case.  The people who send them out certainly don\'t want you to sell them, so they\'re going to put strongly worded language on the packaging.  But unlike dishonest-to-goodness bootlegs, these are hardly the sort of things that are going to involve law enforcement authorities.  A friend of mine writes about television professionally, and my uncle was in SAG, so I\'ve been surrounded by this stuff for decades.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Adam Nedeff

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
I can see why they\'d do it that way; \"Country Strong\" might give you an idea of who the hero is, and that\'s a better indication than \"101\".

My episode was titled \"Blonde Ambition,\" because the hero was blonde. That way, the viewer aware of the episode title knew that the contestant standing center stage who was winning all the money and being referred to as the hero was, in fact, the hero.

SuperMatch93

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 06:14:11 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

rjaguar3

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
IIRC most, if not all, of the WSS episodes had movie-related titles to them.

JD

There was a 9th Circuit case on this back in 2011: UMG Recordings, Inc. v. Augusto.

Jimmy Owen

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »

Let the bidding continue!

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 01:44:42 PM »
There was a 9th Circuit case on this back in 2011: UMG Recordings, Inc. v. Augusto.

Cool, nice find.  It is therefore specifically NOT illegal.  Good to know.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

trainman

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 11:00:05 PM »

Thanks.

The guy on Twitter who told me that it was illegal for me to have a 1980 episode of \"American Top 40\" can go to hell.
trainman is a man of trains

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 11:22:04 PM »
The guy on Twitter who told me that it was illegal for me to have a 1980 episode of \"American Top 40\" can go to hell.

Certainly Twitter is the place I go for all of my legal advice. :)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Pyramid80

Ebay Finds 5/2013
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »
Quote from: inman\\\" post=\\\"310 link=topic=24821.msg#msg date=9710005\\\"
[quote name=\\\"rjagu]There was a 9th Circuit case on this back in 2011: http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=9864676590603387904&hl=en&as_sdt=2&as_vis=1&oi=scholarr" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">UMG Recordings, Inc. v. Augusto.
Thanks.The guy on Twitter who told me that it was illegal for me to have a 1980 episode of \"American Top 40\" can go to hell.[/quote]
I know only one person can sell these AT40 shows on eBay, so I can\'t be illegal to own them.  You just may have a problem if you want to sell, as this guy will have to sell it for you.