Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Seeking Former Tournament of Champions Players  (Read 78384 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy! Seeking Former Tournament of Champions Players
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 01:50:07 AM »
Where does it say \"winners\"?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 02:12:36 AM »
Well don\'t I feel stupid.

I blame it on the Percodan. That stuff rots your brain.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 04:36:50 AM »
[quote name=\"TLEberle\" post=\"309779\" timestamp=\"1369201319\"]Do we know for a fact that this is a tournament and not just exhibition games?[/quote]
Who confirmed there is gameage involved?  I\'m thinking a nightly \"Where are they now?\" segment going into breaks.

PYLdude

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 04:48:06 AM »
But why do it again if they already tried it five years ago?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

mmb5

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 07:14:20 AM »
Well don\'t I feel stupid.

I blame it on the Percodan. That stuff rots your brain.

And now a word from our sponsor...

Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

jage

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 07:25:11 AM »

Ratings were good? Why not. Given just about any reasonable format, I\'m sure most of us will be following it.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 08:18:30 AM »
If you\'re talking about a \"Where are they now?\" segment, if they get 2/3 feedback, they\'ll have enough filler for the entire season. I\'m hoping it\'s not a bloated reboot of the Ultimate Tournament 8 years later. A potential 300+ person tourney is way too big plus on a selfish level, I am in the pool through the end of season 30 and such a tournament means my probability of making the show gets lower and lower.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »

Do we know for a fact that this is a tournament and not just exhibition games?

Who confirmed there is gameage involved? I\'m thinking a nightly \"Where are they now?\" segment going into breaks.

Fair cop.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:20:33 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

colonial

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 11:13:32 AM »
In terms of ratings, I don\'t believe the UTOC led to a significant ratings bump, if any ratings bump at all, for the show.  It was a great one-time experiment, but I doubt it will be returning anytime soon.

A \"where are they now\" segment seems to be the best option.  We\'re two years ahead of Trebek\'s expected retirement, so I doubt it\'s some kind of a segment saluting Trebek.

PS -- Now imagining an Alex Trebek roast with Gilbert, Sajak, 1-2 famous contestants and various SNL personalities (Ferrell as Trebek, Hammond as Sean Connery, McDonald as Burt Reynolds) as roasters.

JD
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:15:34 AM by colonial »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 11:17:56 AM »
PS -- Now imagining an Alex Trebek roast with Gilbert, Sajak, 1-2 famous contestants and various SNL personalities (Ferrell as Trebek, Hammond as Sean Connery, McDonald as Burt Reynolds) as roasters

Needs moar Gottfried.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
The way I saw it, it seems to me that if they\'re asking them to have their contact info updated and they \"may have plans\" it sure seems to me like a tournament of some sort is in the offing.

calliaume

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »

Going back to Art Fleming\'s version, I know Mel Gibson\'s father is still alive - but I think that\'s a door they\'re better off not opening.

BrandonFG

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 01:26:01 AM »

Sheesh. Like father, like son?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »

As it stands right now, here is some information on how the upcoming Jeopardy! Decades Tournament is going to work.

Forty-five notable players from the past are divided into decades of Jeopardy! (1984-1993, 1994-2003, 2004-2013). They will compete against players who participated in the same decade. Five matches for each decade in the standard one-match win format. Each qualifying week will air in a different month in the winter/spring. The winners of those matches, fifteen in total, will go on to compete in a standard Jeopardy! tournament format for a top prize of one million dollars.

Interestingly, some candidates will be automatically included by producers but some will also be selected in an online vote by fans via the website and social media.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 04:24:34 PM »
Huh. That manages to be both very clever and very annoying all at the same time. Thanks for the heads up, Chad.
Travis L. Eberle