Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! Seeking Former Tournament of Champions Players  (Read 78913 times)

chad1m

Jeopardy! Seeking Former Tournament of Champions Players
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »

If you or someone you know participated in a Tournament of Champions on Jeopardy!, the show wants to hear from you. Their 30th season is coming up, so something fun may be brewing. More information is available at their website: http://www.jeopardy.com/news/decadessearch.php

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »

Too bad they can\'t get Jerry Frankel (first TOC winner in 1985). He\'s dead.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37162448.jpg

Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

thewhammy_2000

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »
I wonder if an old classmate of mine, Colby Burnett, is eligible. I still have his smug commentary in my 8th grade autograph book....

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:32:57 PM »
Why wouldn\'t he be eligible? 2013 was a former Tournament of Champions.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:09:05 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »

Was that necessary, man? You don\'t need to say EVERYTHING that comes into your head ya know.

I like the idea of there being a 30th anniversary tournament...I also would like to see them have a second Ultimate Tournament of Champions but I\'m fairly certain they won\'t do it (at least not to the degree that they did it before).

I\'m suddenly curious as to who would receive the nine byes if they did that again (there were nine, right? It\'s been awhile since I covered the UTOC for the forum- or if you want to be more accurate editorialized)...I\'d assume that KenJen, Rutter, and Vered get the first three due to their runner up finishes in the last one (like Rutter, Eric Newhouse, and Bob Verini did due to their finishes in the Million Dollar Masters)...beyond those three and perhaps David Madden, who would get the other five? I could only come up with two more (Roger Craig, Larissa Kelly).

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:21:04 PM »
Was that necessary, man? You don\'t need to say EVERYTHING that comes into your head ya know.
Just because he\'s insensitive doesn\'t mean he\'s wrong. (Lionel Goldbart, the Patron Saint of For The Love of Merv, Please Phrase Your Response in the Form of a Question? Also dead.)

I really hope they can wrap this up in a month. I already had one Jeopardy enema, I\'d prefer to not do that again.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »
Just because he\'s insensitive doesn\'t mean he\'s wrong.

Technically, he\'s correct, yes.

Technically, he\'s also a jackass.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 11:27:54 PM »
What I\'m driving at: we have to decide if we\'re going to jam GSL\'s foot down his throat every time he sticks it in his mouth, to the detriment of actually discussing the topic. (For example, it wouldn\'t be too hard to have a thirty player tournament.)
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 11:45:58 PM »
What I\'m driving at: we have to decide if we\'re going to jam GSL\'s foot down his throat every time he sticks it in his mouth, to the detriment of actually discussing the topic. (For example, it wouldn\'t be too hard to have a thirty player tournament.)

Well, if GSL is going to keep saying things that require his foot to be jammed in his mouth, people are going to continue to call him on it. You don\'t have to participate in the discussion if it bothers you, you know. Hate to be blunt here but you left me little choice, Travis. Henke does the same thing, what\'s your opinion on that?

Now, returning to the topic...

So we do thirty. Definitely manageable. Leaves you ten winners. Are you including wild cards?

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »
The first graf should be brought up in BTS. (Obviously you didn\'t hate to be blunt there, because you were blunt there.)

As to the second, I was thinking you do two two-week tournaments, whoever is the high scoring loser finalist joins the two winners to play in a forty-three game total point affair and the winner collects Leventy Trillion Jillion Dollars.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:53:14 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:07:48 AM »
Don\'t give them ideas. :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »

The comment itself is ridiculous, seeing as how Mr. Frankel died before the show\'s fourth season (26 years ago), and it never affected any other tournaments featuring former champions, including Super Jeopardy! The comment was unnecessary on many levels.

As for the tournament, I could see 30 players in a three-week tournament.

Week one: seasons 1-15 champs

Week two: seasons 16-30*

Week three: the 10 champs + 2 wild cards participate in finals M-Th, and Friday the top players return

Don\'t know if that would necessarily work, seeing as how the show usually does 2-day championship games...I also haven\'t had my coffee, so go easy on me. :-P

*First champion of the new season to rack up 5- or more wins

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

pacdude

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37015794.jpg

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »

Anyone who claims I\'m being tasteless is full of shite, nothing more.