Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows You Thought Were Game Shows...But Weren't  (Read 32132 times)

Jimmy Owen

Shows You Thought Were Game Shows...But Weren't
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 08:52:08 PM »
Jimmy, off topic a bit, but was Channel 2 in Detroit one of those \"late night only\" listings in your TVG? IIRC, the Pittsburgh edition showed WCBS-2 in NY\'s late night listings for the movies..

In my area, we got what was called the Michigan State Edition. The Detroit channels covered were 2, 4, 7 and 50, along with 9 from Windsor. They were listed full time. When WTBS went superstation we started getting those listings \"late night only\" for a couple years.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:08:15 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »

I never understood the \"late night only\" listings.  I\'ve got a Pittsburgh edition from 1977 that includes Ch. 2 New York as \"late night only\" (listings from around 11:30 PM onwards).  Does that mean that the cable company picked up that station after another they carried signed off the air?  Does that mean the station was powerful enough to be received via antenna but only at night?  Never could figure it out.

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »
I never understood the \"late night only\" listings.  I\'ve got a Pittsburgh edition from 1977 that includes Ch. 2 New York as \"late night only\" (listings from around 11:30 PM onwards).  Does that mean that the cable company picked up that station after another they carried signed off the air?  Does that mean the station was powerful enough to be received via antenna but only at night?  Never could figure it out.

I\'m pretty sure it was for cable companies that wanted to provide 24 hour programming on at least one channel. Circa 1979 at around 3 in the morning, our cable company used to switch their local origination station to WGPR Channel 62, which was the first station to go all night in Detroit.  Saw some pretty good movies on that station.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »
The first time I saw \"post-game show\" after a football broadcast as a 5-year old made me sad.

Same goes with me and a pre game show

Marc412

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »
I suppose a younger version of myself might have mistaken \"Game of Thrones\" for a game show.

There is a technology news show on the BBC called \"Click\" that I almost mistook for a British version of the 90s teen game show.