Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows You Thought Were Game Shows...But Weren't  (Read 32135 times)

TimK2003

Shows You Thought Were Game Shows...But Weren't
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »

Inspired by a post on another thread, have you ever been duped by a vaguely-worded ad or announcement, or a TV Guide listing thinking the title was a game show only to find out it wasn\'t even close?

Back in \'87 when I visited LA, I was looking to choose a show taping to see at NBC Burbank.  On the board of available tickets for that week -- listing just the titles only -- I almost made the mistake of choosing \"Saved By The Bell\".  I never heard of nor seen the show before and I thought it sounded like a great title of a new game show. 

Luckily, I opted for Super Password and Hollywood Squares instead and ultimately got to speak at length with Gene Wood in person!

Others?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »
Around 1968 or so, during the time when Newlywed and Dating Game were in prime-time, ABC started promoting a special called \"The Mating Game.\"  To my dismay, it was only a documentary about wild youth and their social lives.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
I don\'t know how Saved by the Bell was one of the shows considering it not only didn\'t premiere until the next year but it was also under a different title.

(if you go by the syndication package rules, which includes the entire Good Morning Miss Bliss series as part of the Saved by the Bell package)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Johnissoevil

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:59:55 PM »

When I first saw promos for Star Search before it premiered, I thought it was gonna be a game show.  Watched the premiere, and while it wasn\'t a game show, I still became a fan nonetheless.

In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 01:07:41 AM »

I can think of the polar opposite...Seeing the famous [Last show of the series. Beginning Monday, \"Body Language\" premieres here.] in the TVG, I figured it was an exercise program.

10 years later, the opposite would happen - VH1 had a music video show called \"Body Language\", which TVG incorrectly listed as the game show..

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:07:52 AM by aaron sica »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 02:05:39 AM »
For years as a kid I thought \"Crossfire\" was a game show. Why I don\'t know.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 02:37:38 AM »
For years as a kid I thought \"Crossfire\" was a game show. Why I don\'t know.

Probably because of Milton Bradley.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 02:38:24 AM by WilliamPorygon »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 03:22:03 AM »

When I saw Hart to Hart in a TVG listing once, I thought it was a dating show where couples try to create compatibility with each other, like \"heart-to-heart\" which was similar to Love Connection that was out at about the time.  When I saw the opening sequence, it turned out to be a husband & wife crime-fighting team.

J.R.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 07:47:21 AM »

I thought NBC\'s Deal or No Deal was a game show. Turned out to be a giant circus.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:47:39 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
I thought NBC\'s Deal or No Deal was a game show. Turned out to be a giant circus.

Best post ever from you.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »

Well played.

I have a few more other than Money Wheel on the other thread, which was actually a CNBC financial news or advice show. Sometime in the early-90s, one of the cable networks aired a show called Dream House, which had nothing to do with Mike Darrow or Bob Eubanks.

Others that fooled me:

-Bulls Eye (note the two-word spelling)...it was a recap show about the Chicago Bulls that aired on WGN in the 90s

-The aforementioned Crossfire

-That Girl...I thought it was a Queen For a Day-type show when I saw the listing...the TV magazine also said it would come on USA around the same time that their game show reruns traditionally aired.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 12:13:52 PM »

There was also a celebrity-driven NBC mid-morning show blip in the 70\'s called \"Take My Advice\", with KNBC personality Kelly Lange. 

I was thinking it was going to be a game show as it briefly replaced the \"Magnificent Marble Machine\". 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:59:07 PM by TimK2003 »

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 12:19:46 PM »
10 years later, the opposite would happen - VH1 had a music video show called \"Body Language\", which TVG incorrectly listed as the game show..

Similar experience. I was once channel-surfing and came to a listing for \"High Rollers\" on E!, and the cable guide summary even had a summary for the game show. Turned out to be a documentary about gamblers.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »

I thought the movie Double Jeopardy was going to be a documentary about Jeopardy! and I couldn\'t for the life of me (those eight years of life) understand why it was rated R.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

gamed121683

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
I remember about 10-15 years ago flipping through the TV Guide and stumbling across this listing:

3:30AM (Channel 7) 3\'s A Crowd--Game.

My curiosity piqued, I taped the show & watched it the next day. Turns out it was reruns of the short-lived John Ritter sitcom of the same name.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:36:39 PM by gamed121683 »