Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $50,000 Pyramid Press Release on eBay  (Read 3982 times)

Bob Zager

$50,000 Pyramid Press Release on eBay
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:57:53 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Press-Release-Dick-Clark-Host-Premiere-50-000-Pyramid-1-6-1981-game-show-/121083900413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3129b1fd

Toward the end of the press release it mentions about plans to tape shows in New York and Las Vegas! 

I don\'t think they ever did any from Vegas, but it would\'ve been interesting.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:57:21 PM »

I can\'t remember if this was posted on eBay before, or in the Broadcasting magazine thread, but I do remember seeing Vegas mentioned. As far as I know, this version only taped in NYC.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

daveromanjr

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »

Vegas worked so well for Gambit, HS and LMaD....  The difference in look/feel of $50k to The All New $25,000 version that\'d be on CBS in a few short years gave it a much better update than taking $50k to Vegas.  But, of course, that\'s just my opinoin

Scrabbleship

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »
The difference in look/feel of $50k to The All New $25,000 version that\'d be on CBS in a few short years gave it a much better update than taking $50k to Vegas.  But, of course, that\'s just my opinoin

Wasn\'t the Vegas plan nixed after the MGM Grand fire destroyed the studio they would\'ve used? And wasn\'t the only reason that $50K was taped in NYC, even after Stewart relocated operations to LA, was because the set was still in NYC and it\'d have been simpler than shipping it out to LA?

This may be a good what might have been, especially considering that they\'d have had to build a whole new set (and doing a clone of the NYC set, even after the minor changes near the end of $20K\'s run, wouldn\'t cut it) and possibly overhaul the NYC technology to match. Watch a $50K and then an early CBS $25K and it\'s amazing to see how much the show changed in 18 months or so.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:30:58 PM by Scrabbleship »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 03:33:24 PM »

The seller seems a little full of himself, doesn\'t he?

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »

Ah, he\'s laying down the law, probably because I bet idiot buyers have burned him on all of those things at some point. And considering how buyer-centric Ebay\'s dispute policies lean, I can see where a seller feels they have to cover every single angle out of the gate to cover themselves.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »

Ah, he\'s laying down the law, probably because I bet idiot buyers have burned him on all of those things at some point. And considering how buyer-centric Ebay\'s dispute policies lean, I can see where a seller feels they have to cover every single angle out of the gate to cover themselves.

No argument there...I can relate because a guy scammed me by giving me a different address than he actually had. It was only $11 but still. Ever since though I tell everyone to make sure their address is validated with PayPal.

Still, though, I have to figure if someone\'s only offering you ten cents on the dollar for something that you\'re probably charging two to three times what it\'s actually worth, there\'s a reason. Sorry for editorializing there but...

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
It costs nothing to be a weener and say that you\'ll offer $600 for somebody\'s $5,500 car. Or to \"buy\" a game from boardgamegeek.com, then go through a rigamarole that ends up with neither money nor property changing hands but my temper rising.

Online commerce is great when all the wheels are well-oiled. When they aren\'t the whole proposition goes mammaries up. I cannot blame this guy for laying out the ground rules before the fact because you know somebody is going to ask a question that is answered in the FAQ.
Travis L. Eberle

tvmitch

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »

We could go off on a tangent here, but this sort of junk in a listing annoys me, because it doesn\'t matter one iota what you put in that listing as a seller. If the buyer decides to scam you, nothing in your listing protects you from anything whatsoever.

If I buy something on eBay, I actually shy away from sellers who use red type and negative wording in their listings, because they are probably a piece of work, and I\'ll go buy that widget elsewhere.

You should follow me on Twitter

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 04:29:23 PM »
How can a buyer scam you? I don\'t lose anything other than the listing fee if he doesn\'t pay, and I was out that money already. I don\'t send anything out unless I have cash in hand or equivalent.

(This is why I sell on boardgamegeek.com and buy on ebay, as opposed to the other way around.)
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »

Travis, look at my post again where I (think I) started the scam discussion rolling.

One can use different addresses with PayPal for some reason. If you send it to one address that he isn\'t using, he can claim it never got there. That leaves you with little to no recourse, since it\'s basically his word against yours (which is why you should always include tracking), and you get screwed because eBay has to give the guy his money back and then your account is suspended until you reimburse them.

And at the end I got the thing RTS\'d to me because they couldn\'t find his address. Boy was I pissed.

On a positive note, I resold the item and it worked out.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:34:20 PM »
I use multiple addresses with Amazon (if something will be sent via FedEx/UPS, I have it sent to the office, since we don\'t have a manager\'s office and the item will sit on my welcome mat; if by USPS I have it sent to my home because I have a locked mailbox) so I don\'t see why that\'s a problem with Paypal.

Before tracking became folded into Priority Mail, I always added a dollar to the shipping cost to cover that tracking slip for the reasons you mention.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »
I use multiple addresses with Amazon (if something will be sent via FedEx/UPS, I have it sent to the office, since we don\'t have a manager\'s office and the item will sit on my welcome mat; if by USPS I have it sent to my home because I have a locked mailbox)

Man, I would LOVE for there to be some kind of feature that tells me what shipping method a given purchase will use before I agree to buy it, because I can trust UPS to drop something on my doormat, and everything else is a TOTAL crapshoot. All they tell you with Amazon Prime is that you\'ll get it in two days; how they get it to you is their choice.

/mind, most of the time now I have it sent to the Amazon Locker at the 7-Eleven down the street

//woo Amazon funs *and* a Slurpee

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe