Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Things that stick out"....  (Read 5928 times)

aaron sica

"Things that stick out"....
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:53:22 AM »

Had a friend recently (who of course knows I love game shows) tell me he remembers a playing in the Winner\'s Circle where the category was \"Things that Stick out\", and after trying to give clue after clue, the celeb finally said \"my boobs\" and the contestant got it, amid laughter and applause from the audience. Anyone happen to know if there\'s a clip out there of this? He thinks Jo Anne Worley might have been giving the clues, but he\'s not sure...

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 08:42:06 AM »
Given that the subject appeared as a top box in a tournament, I\'m not buying that. Might be bowling buddy territory.

"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »

Well, thanks for trying! The clip you showed is the only one I found too of \"things that stick out\". Not sure it\'s bowling buddy territory, as this is a friend I know pretty well...

daveromanjr

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:10:33 AM »

I immediately thought of the John Davidson clip as well... when the buzzer finally does go off after 60 seconds John is shown still standing there for a second in (fake) deep thought before realizing time was up.

That\'s second only to the infamous \"but keep playing\" clip for Johnisms.

Wasn\'t there a \"things that protrude\" clip rumored, too?

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
Wasn\'t there a \"things that protrude\" clip rumored, too?

More along those lines: the \'84 premiere had a \"Things That Are Stacked\" category, in which Robert Mandan gave \"Sexy girls\".  (His partner responded with \"Things that are used\".)

Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 03:35:38 AM »

I remember a similar incident once. Two back to back categories were \"Things That Stick Out\", to which the celeb gave \"Dolly Parton\'s chest\", and \"Things That Fool You\". Neither box was gotten, so after the postmortem, Nipsey Russell called from the sidelines, \"Is Dolly Parton\'s chest \'Things That Stick Out\' or \'Things That Fool You\'?\"

Bobby Peacock

pyrfan

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »

While going through some tapes, I found the episode referenced in the original post. It was indeed Jo Anne Worley giving the clues, in July 1985. The contestant didn\'t guess the category, though, despite that clue, \"a sore thumb,\" and others.

geno57

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »

Besides Dolly\'s boobs, a near-perfect clue might have been \"A brat\'s tongue\".

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 02:34:22 PM »

Good one, Geno. How about \"a cowlick\"?

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 03:18:45 PM »

I like \"a sore thumb\". Interesting that the contestant didn\'t get that one.

And ouch to the Davidson clip posted. Could he have handled that any more awkwardly?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »

And ouch to the Davidson clip posted. Could he have handled that any more awkwardly?

It was John Davidson; of course he could. :)
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »

One $100K box for which a decent clue has always eluded me is \"Things That Are Awkward\". Now, I think I finally have one.

Bobby Peacock

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 07:33:51 PM »

One $100K box for which a decent clue has always eluded me is \"Things That Are Awkward\". Now, I think I finally have one.

I see what you did there...to answer the question, \"An uncomfortable situation\"...or \"uncomfortable silence\".

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »

Wouldn\'t uncomfortable be dinged as a synonym for awkward though?

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Jay Temple

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »

That\'s a good question. It seems to me that, at least in the 80\'s, if a word had two meanings and one was synonymous, it was still considered a synonym.

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.