Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Chase Ordered for GSN, Plus Programs In Development  (Read 39331 times)

Flerbert419

The Chase Ordered for GSN, Plus Programs In Development
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 06:40:33 PM »

Although I\'m glad that Mark is involved with the production, I wonder how much the fact that he is British will influence either the question choice or the games themselves.

I know that many of the soccer and royalty questions on the UK show are quite difficult for me, but seem like common knowledge to both Chasers and contestants.

A course on US sports and pop culture might be necessary to even the playing field and still offer questions that connect with viewers.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »
Without giving too much away, when the show was in development they were using somebody other than Mark (a recognizable American, in fact), and I certainly got the impression they were planning on having a team of chasers.

They shot two pilots for FOX last year, one with Mark and one with the American (name dropped in the link). My guess is that they figured with only an initial order of eight episodes, why bother with introducing a full team?

Well, there you go then.  I was playing \"better safe than sorry\".  I didn\'t realize the Chasers were publicly known, and since I was told in a social setting, I didn\'t want to reveal it myself.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

pacdude

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »
Although I\'m glad that Mark is involved with the production, I wonder how much the fact that he is British will influence either the question choice or the games themselves.

I know that many of the soccer and royalty questions on the UK show are quite difficult for me, but seem like common knowledge to both Chasers and contestants.

A course on US sports and pop culture might be necessary to even the playing field and still offer questions that connect with viewers.

I\'ve heard through the grapevine that Mark\'s been studying up on US culture for the tapings so I don\'t think that should be too much of a concern.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 08:54:19 PM »

From the CCs at the Chicago auditions- taping begins the first week of June. No word on payouts or a host yet, and they\'re toying with the idea of cutting the team from 4 to 3. During the Round 2 auditions, my time slot had me as part of a 3 person team, while it looked like the slot after us was a 4 person team.

BTW, I made it through the process and am now playing the waiting game. Anybody else make it through?

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Sodboy13

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »

I made it through as well, and was part of that 4-person slot. Apparently they had 19 qualifiers from Saturday, so they had one with the odd-man-out arrangement. Ours was played as two separate 3-player Final Chases, with one player rotating out after the first. I think the 3-player team for the U.S. version is pretty much set.

"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »

I missed out on Saturday\'s festivities in Chicago due to wisdom teeth removal ( & recovery). Needless to say, I hoped you guys fared well.

Marc412

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »
I\'ve read from Alex Davis that the prize budget will be pretty big.  But with only three players on a team, and a one-hour time slot, the pacing will suffer.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:08:03 PM by Marc412 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »
Were you going to actually ask a question there?
Travis L. Eberle

Marc412

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
I just left the thought unfinished.  I\'ve since completed it. :)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 12:51:15 PM »
I\'ve read from Alex Davis that the prize budget will be pretty big.  But with only three players on a team, and a one-hour time slot, the pacing will suffer.

I\'m not a big fan of picking a show apart before it\'s actually been made, much less before any of us have had a chance to see it.  Seems to me that with the addition of commercials, there ought not be a considerable difference in pacing between the Brit four-player game and the American three.  We also, for example, don\'t know for sure whether the three-player game might have an extra step or two in the head-to-head matchups to make up some of the difference.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »
[citation needed]

(Matt, wasn\'t one of your issues that the show has four rounds of drudgery repeated four times, then the show gets good in the last act? Or was that someone else?)
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »
I\'ve heard a few rumors through the grapevine  (casting, other producers)  about extra rounds/questions and it is possible since the teams narrow down from 4 to 3 here in the U.S.

Which Imaginary Friend did you create to come up with this chestnut?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 03:49:16 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
(Matt, wasn\'t one of your issues that the show has four rounds of drudgery repeated four times, then the show gets good in the last act? Or was that someone else?)

Absolutely.  I think the show as we know it could move quicker.  I\'m just challenging the assertion that the show we DON\'T know would necessarily be any worse.  And, frankly, three rounds of drudgery beats four rounds of drudgery anyway.

tvwxman

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »

I\'m not a big fan of picking a show apart before it\'s actually been made, much less before any of us have had a chance to see it.  Seems to me that with the addition of commercials, there ought not be a considerable difference in pacing between the Brit four-player game and the American three.  We also, for example, don\'t know for sure whether the three-player game might have an extra step or two in the head-to-head matchups to make up some of the difference.

I\'ve heard a few rumors through the grapevine  (casting, other producers)  about extra rounds/questions and it is possible since the teams narrow down from 4 to 3 here in the U.S.

Talking out of your ass does not constitute a conversation.

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
Talking out of an ass did provide Adult Swim with 2 seasons of crap, however. So...he\'s got a job waiting there, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:32:20 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.