Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Chase Ordered for GSN, Plus Programs In Development  (Read 39342 times)

chad1m

The Chase Ordered for GSN, Plus Programs In Development
« on: April 09, 2013, 12:05:17 PM »

GSN\'s 2013 upfront presentations were today. From that, we learned...

Minute To Win It, hosted by Apolo Anton Ohno, premieres June 25 at 8PM.

The Chase, a fan favorite quiz show from ITV in the UK, has had eight episodes ordered for a U.S. adaptation. Chaser Mark Labbett is apparently on board.

Series in development include...

Dance Rivals, in production with Dancing With the Stars great Derek Hough, about dueling ballroom studios in Utah.

The Imposter, a real-life To Tell the Truth where a pair must determine, through interacting with them over a weekend, which member in a family really doesn\'t belong to that family. (This has been casting recently, so it\'s possible this has been greenlit for series.)

It Takes a Church, a religious dating show where a whole congregation finds a romantic match for one of its members.

Mind of a Man, a \"comedy game show\" with women trying to answer how a man would respond in posed situations.

Where Have You Been All My Life, a dating show where women make selections based on a man\'s youth.

You Don\'t Know What You\'re Missing, where family members are challenged to recall items from their home.

As per usual, most of these won\'t ever make it to series but are on the slate for potential programming options.

(Full press release here.)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:15:19 PM by chad1m »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »

The Imposter was done previously as No Relation. Interesting news about The Chase as well. Thanks for the update.

Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »
The Imposter was done previously as No Relation.

And it put me to sleep, but I don\'t speak for the forum.

You Don\'t Know What You\'re Missing sounds a little like NBC\'s Amnesia with Dennis Miller. None of the shows \"in development\" sound intriguing, but that\'s just from a one sentence description. Mind of a Man sounds a little interesting...I\'m guessing they\'ll throw a C-list male comedian or two on the panel?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »

Except for MTWI, nothing on this list makes me say \"OMG I gotta watch that!\" Despite the DWTS ratings fiasco, they\'re still determined to try and get a dance oriented show on. Some execs just never learn.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »
You Don\'t Know What You\'re Missing sounds a little like NBC\'s Amnesia with Dennis Miller.  
I don\'t remember the exact title of the article but there was one in Games Magazine many years ago that went into detail about various game shows overseas. This would have been well before the Deal or No Deal craze. One example was a show where contestants would be paid in gold bullion the amount of weight that they lost, but they were constantly tempted by various unhealthy snacks and so the game became one of short vs. long term thinking.

Anyway, ...Missing? sounds much closer to a Netherlands show by the name of Over de Roooie, where the host would hide a 1,000 guilder note somewhere inside the contestant\'s home and the family would have five minutes to find the money and keep it.
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »
That is the kind of insight and commentary I come to expect from LGY.
Travis L. Eberle

trainman

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »
Oh, hey, I tried out for a \"The Chase\" pilot about a year ago. Wonder if the producers still have my info on file...
trainman is a man of trains

J.R.

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:35:41 PM »
Minute to Win It, The Chase and Mind of a Man all sound really good.

Where have You Been all My Life sounds just alright, but it sounds better then anything like Love Triangle.

The Impostor doesn\'t thrill me. I\'m not 100% if it will do well. Time will tell.

The dancing one, the \"Dating Church Game\" and the bottom one sound pretty bad. But who knows.

\"These might work out. I guess. We\'ll see, I suppose\".

Where is this man\'s Pulitzer?

-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 11:43:46 PM »
\"These might work out. I guess. We\'ll see, I suppose\".

\"I\'m a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.\" -- Red Green

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 12:09:52 AM »
His opinions aren\'t necessarily wrong or bad (as such), but he undermines whatever femtoscrap of authority he might have left with the weasel language.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »

For anyone interested in taking on The Chase, auditions are announced for this and next month in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Washington, D.C. and Boston. Personally, I think that\'s a great sign about this being done right, that not all contestants will be coming from LA central casting like most GSN programs.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 12:16:14 AM »

It\'s likely too early to speculate, but I wonder if it\'s just going to be the Beast for the entire series or if they\'re going to have a stable like the Brits do.

I wouldn\'t particularly mind either way, but the casting page made me wonder.

This signature is currently under construction.

chad1m

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
It\'s likely too early to speculate, but I wonder if it\'s just going to be the Beast for the entire series or if they\'re going to have a stable like the Brits do.

The press release doesn\'t even use the word \"Chaser,\" it\'s always \"the Beast,\" so I\'m guessing its all Mark.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 10:49:08 AM »

The press release doesn\'t even use the word \"Chaser,\" it\'s always \"the Beast,\" so I\'m guessing its all Mark.

Without giving too much away, when the show was in development they were using somebody other than Mark (a recognizable American, in fact), and I certainly got the impression they were planning on having a team of chasers.  That may have changed, or I may have misunderstood.  I\'m not close enough to the production to know, but I am close enough to be ineligible to play, darn it.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:50:32 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 01:45:08 PM »
Without giving too much away, when the show was in development they were using somebody other than Mark (a recognizable American, in fact), and I certainly got the impression they were planning on having a team of chasers.

They shot two pilots for FOX last year, one with Mark and one with the American (name dropped in the link). My guess is that they figured with only an initial order of eight episodes, why bother with introducing a full team?