Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century Turntable  (Read 94074 times)

gsfan85

$ale of the Century Turntable
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:17:13 PM »

Hey everyone...as I\'ve been watching $ale this week on GSN, it got me thinking.  Did they ever show the turntable moving between the Fame Game board and an Instant Bargain/Instant Cash?  Guessing it was a 3-sided turntable.

Would be intrigued to see it in use!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
Not here in the USA, but it did happen daily on the Australian version during Tony Barber\'s tenure. The hostess comes off it as she\'s being intro\'d at the top of the show.

EDIT: Jump to the 1:00 mark.

I always thought it would be neat if the turntable rotated the instant bargain offstage if the contestant didn\'t buy, similar to the way the big doors close on Price when the contestant loses the car on Ten Chances.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:07:16 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »
Well, there was the one time the turntable started moving before it should have from \'85...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Bryce L.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »

Just curious... if one side shows the Fame Game board, one side displays Instant Bargains, what does the third side show?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:11:46 PM »
Old movies?
Travis L. Eberle

gsfan85

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:01:37 AM »
Well, there was the one time the turntable started moving before it should have from \'85...

Is there a clip from this somewhere?  

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:31:41 AM »

It\'s the one where Jim Perry has to get away from the turntable because they started spinning it too early and then has to grab the Sale Surprise from behind the wall because of it.

Fast forward to about 4:00, that\'s when the whole debacle starts. Still don\'t get why it makes me chuckle but it does. :)

(Yes, I edited to add the clip. It was a lot tougher to find than I had originally thought.)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:50:58 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

gsfan85

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »
It\'s the one where Jim Perry has to get away from the turntable because they started spinning it too early and then has to grab the Sale Surprise from behind the wall because of it.

Fast forward to about 4:00, that\'s when the whole debacle starts. Still don\'t get why it makes me chuckle but it does. :)

(Yes, I edited to add the clip. It was a lot tougher to find than I had originally thought.)

Love it...thanks for finding and posting!

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »

Looks like it was only two sides to the turntable, the Fame Game board, and behind it the setting for whatever skit they had in place. Looks like an L-shaped partition that sat directly behind the board,

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gsfan85

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »
Looks like it was only two sides to the turntable, the Fame Game board, and behind it the setting for whatever skit they had in place. Looks like an L-shaped partition that sat directly behind the board,

Wow...stagehands must have worked quick if they had to change it out for every Instant Bargain!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »
In the most common format of acts & commercial breaks, they always had a break between Instant Bargains.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck