Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New game show games/apps  (Read 23692 times)

SuperMatch93

New game show games/apps
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 06:40:34 PM »

^ Out of curiousity, Matt: On QuizBusters, does the research staff use encyclopedias (e.g. World Book, Britannica) as reference sources, and if so, do you get a new set every year?

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Matt Ottinger

New game show games/apps
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 09:52:28 PM »

the research staff

That\'s adorable.

Seriously, we\'re a local public television show in a small market.  It\'s amazing they pay ME.  There\'s no \"staff\" to research anything.  We get most of our material from national providers of high school quiz questions, and we count on them to have done their own homework, though if I see something that strikes me as troublesome, I might look up something myself.

Also, no one uses encyclopedias anymore.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:55:39 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
New game show games/apps
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 10:03:47 PM »
But he raises a good question: when you\'re writing Quick Ten, Lightning Round and Pop Quiz questions, those have to come from somewhere, and you can\'t just make stuff up. If a question is written about Hawaii as the 50th state, do you have to look that up to confirm that you were right, or can you take it as written and hope that an error doesn\'t get in?

I get that Quizbusters isn\'t Jeopardy in size or scope, but I\'m assuming that at least whoever is writing up their packet has done some diligence.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

New game show games/apps
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 10:49:39 PM »

But he raises a good question: when you\'re writing Quick Ten, Lightning Round and Pop Quiz questions, those have to come from somewhere, and you can\'t just make stuff up. If a question is written about Hawaii as the 50th state, do you have to look that up to confirm that you were right, or can you take it as written and hope that an error doesn\'t get in?

I get that Quizbusters isn\'t Jeopardy in size or scope, but I\'m assuming that at least whoever is writing up their packet has done some diligence.

Interesting that this is coming up, since I happen to be working on material tonight.

I\'ve always been a little circumspect about this, even on the forum, but as far as WKAR goes, I am the show\'s only writer.  All the segments you mentioned, plus the video bonus categories, are my responsibility.  I won\'t get into the nuances of how I put everything together, but yes, of course I don\'t just trust my personal gut instinct.  To use your example, I wouldn\'t look up whether or not Hawaii was the 50th state, because I simply know it is. On the other hand, while I\'m almost positive Arizona was the 48th, I\'d look that up.  The station trusts me, and I take the responsibility seriously, but there is no set of rules I have to follow or documentation I have to provide.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:51:07 PM by Matt Ottinger »

SuperMatch93

New game show games/apps
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 10:57:19 PM »
Do you guys use NAQT?

I competed in scholastic bowl all four years of high school, and I always wished WGN would start a show like QuizBusters, because we didn\'t have audiences.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:59:59 PM by SuperMatch93 »
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Matt Ottinger

New game show games/apps
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 11:09:56 PM »

Do you guys use NAQT?

We have for many years, but will be using a series of different suppliers this season.  I\'m not at liberty to say who.  It was a tricky and complicated business decision having nothing to do with how much we liked the NAQT material.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:10:24 PM by Matt Ottinger »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
New game show games/apps
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
I just want to go out on point and mention that I miss the Audio Bonus. I liked those a whole bunch.

Matt, thanks for a great answer to my question. I appreciate it.
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

New game show games/apps
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 11:35:29 PM »
During my junior year of high school, I was going to apply for a job writing for NAQT (and even wrote some pyramidal questions as practice), but since I was so busy with school, I had to put it off.

The worst part is that DePaul doesn\'t even have a quiz bowl team, so I have no excuse not to apply for the job now...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:48:06 PM by SuperMatch93 »

Sodboy13

New game show games/apps
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 12:36:27 AM »

During my junior year of high school, I was going to apply for a job writing for NAQT (and even wrote some pyramidal questions as practice), but since I was so busy with school, I had to put it off.

The worst part is that DePaul doesn\'t even have a quiz bowl team, so I have no excuse not to apply for the job now...

They will once Rahm Emanuel builds the school that publicly-financed 12,000-seat arena in the South Loop.

/quiz bowl would probably be a better draw than the basketball team

"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

SuperMatch93

New game show games/apps
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 12:55:40 AM »
^The worst part is that almost nobody at DePaul wants them to build it.

SuperMatch93

New game show games/apps
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »

Do you guys use NAQT?

We have for many years, but will be using a series of different suppliers this season.  I\'m not at liberty to say who.  It was a tricky and complicated business decision having nothing to do with how much we liked the NAQT material.

It wasn\'t because I asked, was it?

/if so, sorry...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
New game show games/apps
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 01:14:01 AM »
I have a hard time believing that to be the case.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

New game show games/apps
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »

Jellyvision has come out with another game for iOS- it\'s called Lie Swatter. It\'s a turn based trivia game where you try and \"swat\" all of the lies in a given category of statements. At its core, you\'re playing turn based Wipeout, but the writing makes it much better.

I heartily endorse this, too. Fun game, good writing. Seems like there\'s a revival of Liars\' Club in it somewhere.  

Thunder

New game show games/apps
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »

Except for the 4 celebrity guests, the four contestants, the strange items, the strange artwork, the TV cameras, the stained glass set and the host.

Yeah. Just like the TV show....

SuperMatch93

New game show games/apps
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »

So Liar\'s Club is similar to To Tell The Truth? Cool.