Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would you go on a game show you hate?  (Read 4584 times)

Card Shark

Would you go on a game show you hate?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2003, 09:59:50 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 09:12 AM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 08:59 AM\'] I probably would.  I've tried a couple of times to get on a game show in the past but have been unsuccessful.  I probably would even go on something like "Friend or Foe" (which I don't really care for) if the opportunity arose just to have the experience.  Since you're allowed on more than one game show in your life once something I really wanted to go on came up I'd still have a shot at it. [/quote]
I wonder if some of our excessive game show love and knowledge turned anyone away from getting on a show? Just a thought. [/quote]
 I wonder the same thing. For example, when I went to TPIR almost five years ago, I didn't know as much about the process of picking contestants and what to say/not say when it was time to talk to Phil. So, I was thinking about how Phil might react if I said something like, "How are YOU, Mr. Rossi? It's good to see you again..."
Adam Strom

zachhoran

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2003, 10:05:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 09:59 AM\']
I wonder the same thing. For example, when I went to TPIR almost five years ago, I didn't know as much about the process of picking contestants and what to say/not say when it was time to talk to Phil. So, I was thinking about how Phil might react if I said something like, "How are YOU, Mr. Rossi? It's good to see you again..." [/quote]
 My contestant producer on Moron.... er...... Millionaire in August 1999, Jen Kelly(who has since moved up the ranks on the staff), was 24 I think at the time. I was five years older than her, and she really didn't know game shows(at least at that time) the way some of us in here do/did(she had also worked on The Man Show at that time). She may well have learned something from me, hard to believe but true. In the case of someone like Phil Rossi or Roger D. or Harry Friedman, who have worked on game shows as long or longer than most of us been alive, knowing too much might have a negative impact on some of us getting on the show.

cmjb13

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2003, 11:14:24 AM »
In the case of someone like Phil Rossi or Roger D. or Harry Friedman, who have worked on game shows as long or longer than most of us been alive, knowing too much might have a negative impact on some of us getting on the show.
Harry could probably point that out, but I don't think Roger or Phil could see if a contestant knows what he/she is doing from a 10 second interview.

They can definitely weed out the fakers as far as enthusiasm goes, but unless you are rambling off prices of prizes or brag how you know how to master some games, I don't know how they could know if you can master some of the games.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2003, 11:19:28 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 11:14 AM\']
They can definitely weed out the fakers as far as enthusiasm goes, but unless you are rambling off prices of prizes or brag how you know how to master some games, I don't know how they could know if you can master some of the games. [/quote]
 WHat if you told them you worshipped Professor Price or On the Nose?

scully24

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2003, 12:26:36 PM »
I wonder if some of our excessive game show love and knowledge turned anyone away from getting on a show? Just a thought.

This absolutely happens to the avid game show lover.  Rabid game show fans come in to an audition and they're so eager to prove that they're deserving to be on the show that they spout off all kinds of arcane information in an effort to establish superiority over the others trying out.  Sometimes they even get competitive with the coordinators themselves--a sure recipe for getting shown the door.  They quickly get weeded out because the coordinators are looking for likable every day folks.  It's like making out a guest list for a party; while it's a pre-requisite that they must play the game well, they must be people you want to have in your home, and who you enjoy being around, and who will be gracious and subservient to the host no matter what happens.  The last thing they want is to put someone on who demonstrates a superior attitude and who (god forbid!) might even challenge the host.

I've worked in the contestant selection process and seen excellent knowledgeable players leave the office only to have the producer write the fatal initials PITA across their tryout forms.  The kiss of death!

Jay Temple

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2003, 12:33:29 PM »
[quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 11:26 AM\'] It's like making out a guest list for a party; while it's a pre-requisite that they must play the game well, they must be people you want to have in your home, and who you enjoy being around, and who will be gracious and subservient to the host no matter what happens. [/quote]
 This is what I meant earlier.  Someone who hates a given show would probably fail some part of this.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2003, 12:45:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 10:33 AM\'] This is what I meant earlier.  Someone who hates a given show would probably fail some part of this. [/quote]
 Why? I hate Wheel, but I sure as heck know what not to say at an interview. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2003, 03:33:15 PM »
[quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 12:26 PM\'] the fatal initials PITA across their tryout forms.  The kiss of death! [/quote]
 Say, what does "PITA" stand for anyway ?

Thanks
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2003, 03:35:39 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 03:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 12:26 PM\'] the fatal initials PITA across their tryout forms.  The kiss of death! [/quote]

Thanks
-Joe R. [/quote]
 Pain In The Ass.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2003, 03:37:55 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 03:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 12:26 PM\'] the fatal initials PITA across their tryout forms.  The kiss of death! [/quote]

Thanks
-Joe R. [/quote]
PITA is a Middle Eastern pocket bread...or in this case, it likely stands for "pain in the ass".

Edit:  I didn't see Brandon posted a reply to this.  Darn you Brandon! :-)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 03:38:45 PM by hmtriplecrown »

uncamark

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2003, 03:42:48 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 03:35 PM\'][quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 03:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'scully24\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 12:26 PM\'] the fatal initials PITA across their tryout forms.  The kiss of death! [/quote]

Thanks
-Joe R. [/quote]
Pain In The Ass.[/quote]
"The Gong Show" staff had that shortened to just "PIA."  The "PIA" abbreviation was the one thing that would keep acts from appearing on the show who also got a "OMG"--as in Oh, My God.