Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Survivor TRADING CARD GAME?  (Read 3327 times)

DoItRockapella

Survivor TRADING CARD GAME?
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »

I know Survivor arguably doesn\'t count as a game show, but this is so unlikely I just had to bring it up. Something compelled me to search the show on eBay, and I came across a nearly complete card set for, well, read the thread title. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-3-1-SURVIVOR-TCG-24-BOOSTER-2-60-Card-2-PLAYER-STARTER-DECK-CBS-/380596305725?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item589d4ebf3d

Anyone ever hear of this? I realize the game\'s probably awful, but I\'m seriously considering buying anyway, if only to see how on Earth they executed the idea. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:21:45 PM by DoItRockapella »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »

On boardgamegeek.com the ratings page shows mostly positive comments that as a trading card game it works and in fact the lone negative comment and rating of 1 out of 10 (which is supposed to mean that the rate-er would be hard pressed to play the game ever again) is from someone who bleats \"I hate Reality TV!\" So there\'s that.

If you want to pay forty bucks plus shipping that\'s your call, but I do think that if you want something to emulate the game play and mood of Survivor you won\'t find it in a pack of trading cards.

Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
If you want to pay forty bucks plus shipping that\'s your call, but I do think that if you want something to emulate the game play and mood of Survivor you won\'t find it in a pack of trading cards.

You won\'t find it in the games Atari published while I was working there, either. Whoof.

Seriously, though, who says anyone\'s looking to emulate the game play and mood of Survivor? If I want that I can hide in Marymoor Park for a couple weeks. I can see something like this being amusing just for the moment that you get to drop a \"Fairplay\'d!\" instant on your opponent, or to pop open a booster and discover that, holy shiat, you actually got an ultra-rare Naked Richard Hatch.

(I\'m not sure where DIR gets the idea that it\'s a nearly complete set; if he thinks he\'s gonna get a complete set out of two starters and a box of boosters, well, he doesn\'t know Upper Deck very well. If nothing else I guarantee you that the card set has more than 24 rares / ultra rares.)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:44:50 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoItRockapella

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »
(I\'m not sure where DIR gets the idea that it\'s a nearly complete set; if he thinks he\'s gonna get a complete set out of two starters and a box of boosters, well, he doesn\'t know Upper Deck very well. If nothing else I guarantee you that the card set has more than 24 rares / ultra rares.)

A good point; I\'m far from a trading card game expert. I\'m certainly not looking to emulate the gameplay and mood of Survivor; even if I do buy the damn thing, I\'ll never find anyone who wants to play it with me.

Besides, if you really want to spend money, feast your eyes on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-SURVIVOR-CBS-PROMOTIONAL-CARD-GAME-UNOPENED-IN-ORIGINAL-CRATE-/290879646729?pt=Games_US&hash=item43b9c72c09

Loogaroo

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »

The irony of the game is, it came out in 2001, which means it depicts the show in its most vanilla format - no tribal swaps, no hidden idols, no three- or four-tribe games, no final three, none of that stuff. I imagine that a Survivor card game released now would be a lot more intriguing.

You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »
I imagine that a Survivor card game released now would be a lot more intriguing.

I doubt it, unless you *really really* care about theme and flavor text and such. The basic mechanics of the game, I would wager, wouldn\'t change much, seeing as I suspect they only tangentially follow along with the TV show in the first place.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:57:46 PM by clemon79 »

Loogaroo

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 03:17:48 PM »
I imagine that a Survivor card game released now would be a lot more intriguing.

I doubt it, unless you *really really* care about theme and flavor text and such. The basic mechanics of the game, I would wager, wouldn\'t change much, seeing as I suspect they only tangentially follow along with the TV show in the first place.

I could see it playing kindof as a Killer Bunnies-style game. Everybody secretly draws a character card; that\'s the character they try to keep in the game as long as possible. Shuffle all the characters back in and deal them out into tribes. Then the game would be spent trying to figure out what character each player is representing and find ways to vote them out using the various mechanics of the show.

You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
I could see it playing kindof as a Killer Bunnies-style game. Everybody secretly draws a character card; that\'s the character they try to keep in the game as long as possible. Shuffle all the characters back in and deal them out into tribes. Then the game would be spent trying to figure out what character each player is representing and find ways to vote them out using the various mechanics of the show.

I doubt it\'s that interesting. I bet it\'s closer to: you build a \"tribe\" (deck) which you then use to \"compete in challenges\" (attacks) to ultimately \"vote off\" (trash) other people\'s tribe members, all using bog-standard CCG mechanics. Last person standing wins.