Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which show had the bigger budget and bigger payouts  (Read 11960 times)

14gameshows

Which show had the bigger budget and bigger payouts
« on: March 25, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »

I got to thinking about the different game shows that were on NBC back in 1987. You had Wheel of Fortune, Super Password, Blockbusters, Classic Concentration, $ale of the Century, Scrabble, and Win, Lose, or Draw.

Out of curiosity, which game show had the bigger prize budget meaning that you had a greater opportunity to win more cash and/or prizes than the other shows?

Also, weren\'t champions allowed to stay on for 7 days on most of the NBC shows?  My memory is fuzzy when it comes to Wheel of Fortune because I thought that on that show the rule was different in that the champion could stay on for 3 days?!?!  Please correct me if I\'m wrong 

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »

Here\'s my attempt to break this down:

Even though the limit for 7 days seems to be the case for many NBC shows in the late 70\'s/Early 80\'s, the shows you\'ve mentioned didn\'t have such a limit. 

• Sale (earlier in \'87) allowed for a 11 games because of the Winner\'s Board, but by the end of \'87 changed to an 8-day maximum (and that\'s IF you win game 7 and it\'s Big Money Game, otherwise you go bye-bye). 

• Wheel had a three-day limit since the Woolery Era. 

• Scrabble at this point had a 5-day limit. 

• Blockbusters had 10-game limits

• Concentration had the one-loss rule; but I\'m unsure about the maximum amount of victories (Five?)

• WLoD escapes me. The syndie rules varied from the daytime version.

• Super Password had five game limits.

Out of the maximum winnings, it would really depend what show and if there was a rollover jackpot. For example: On Sale, you had the opportunity to win over $100,000 if you won the 11-games (exception; O\'Brien, Tom). You\'re assured roughly $55K or $60K if you win 10-games (plus prizes and bargains). 

Blockbusters allowed you to win 10 games. Assume 10 wins (at $200 a match), plus the $5,000 each time, you could stand to win $52,000 minimum (the rollover jackpot later) would\'ve given you the opportunity to win more than that but not by much.

Super Password  would\'ve depended if the person (or people) goofed up in the bonus. So you could win $10,000 in your bonus, or only $5,000. Same with Scrabble. Your Sprint amount depended on previous attempts plus whatever bonuses you got in Crossword.

TL;DR: Sale of the Century gives you a high cashout rate.

Fedya

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:42:13 PM »
The number of days/games a player can remain on only affects the amount a player can win, not the show\'s budget.

Blockbusters was $500 a game, with eventually a 20-game limit: they brought back the retired 10-game champs to play a further 10 games if they made it that far. I believe one solo player and one family pair won the maximum $120K.

But the budget would, I think, be bigger for something like Super Password that guaranteed giving away $5,000 per bonus round since the progressive jackpot grew by $5K each time.

I wouldn\'t know about the budget for a prize-heavy show like Sale of the Century.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »

What were the maximum limits on \"Wordplay\"?  I want to say they added $2500/day to the end game jackpot whether it was won or not, starting at a $5K minimum pot? 

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:13:36 AM »
Wheel had a three-day limit since the Woolery Era.

Well, it was initially five until sometime between June \'76 and December \'79. At least in the 1980s, tie games were only considered a \"day\" once somebody clearly won on a subsequent show.

What were the maximum limits on \"Wordplay\"? I want to say they added $2500/day to the end game jackpot whether it was won or not, starting at a $5K minimum pot?

Not sure about the limit (for some reason, \"five days\" popped into my head), but you\'re right on the jackpot structure. Not sure if said jackpot had a ceiling, though -- the highest I\'ve ever seen it go was $27,500.

The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Unrealtor

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:23:52 AM »

I have no idea how you even budget for a game like $ale where someone will occasionally walk away with a comparatively huge payday once in a blue moon, short of taking out an insurance policy a la early Millionaire.

"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:21:48 AM »

The way I look at Sale\'s budget, I usually count the number of sub-$1K prizes.  Anything < 3 constitutes a \"budget-buster\" show IMO.  At least 3 or > will counter that, somewhat.  I think Sale also generates the greatest payouts based on the $50K Grand Prize for game 11.  When WBMG came around, you still had the $50K, but you have to win the car in order to get a shot at the Big Fella in game 8 or it\'s audios.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 07:24:03 AM »
audios.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
but you have to win the car in order to get a shot at the Big Fella in game 8 or it\'s audios.

I hear ya!

How does \"anything < 3 constitute \"budget-buster\", and 3 what? Thousands? Prizes?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:22:36 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »
I want to say they added $2500/day to the end game jackpot whether it was won or not, starting at a $5K minimum pot? 

I know it\'s me reading this wrong, but all I could think of is that this was probably the show\'s budgetary downfall.  After all, thirteen weeks in and the bonus is around the $150,000 mark.  Six months, and the bonus is worth more than $300,000 a shot.  It\'s amazing they didn\'t bankrupt the network.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:52:56 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
I know it\'s me reading this wrong, but all I could think of is that this was probably the show\'s budgetary downfall.  After all, thirteen weeks in and the bonus is around the $150,000 mark.  Six months, and the bonus is worth more than $300,000 a shot.  It\'s amazing they didn\'t bankrupt the network.

I think the unwritten part is \"and it reset with a new champion.\" Even then I\'m not 100% sure it\'s right. (But I\'m also not 100% sure it\'s wrong, either.)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »

I don\'t think it reset. I remember seeing a screengrab of that $27,500 champion, which means that even if it started at $5K on her first day, she would\'ve been on the show 10 days.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »
I don\'t think it reset.

We\'re having WHM problems.  It HAD to reset, the question is how and when.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »

I\'m gonna go ahead and apply Occam\'s Razor: I remember it was an ascending jackpot, $2,500 per attempt sounds right (because that number always sticks in my craw when they use it, and I remember my craw being stuck, and based on Brandon\'s info it probably reset when someone won it.

(Although I find it interesting that there even was a $27,500 jackpot, because I don\'t remember the bonus game being so hard as to make it ten days without a win.)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 01:10:19 PM »
I don\'t think it reset.

Oops...I should clarify that I don\'t think it reset for each new champ. So yeah, Occam\'s Razor and WHM and all. :-P

And upping the ante $2,500 after an unsuccessful attempt sounds crazy to me (not a big fan of +$5,000 either). Adding $1,000 is just fine IMO.

/Or a flat $10K

//In 1987

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:12:25 PM by BrandonFG »