Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century to GSN.  (Read 102170 times)

SuperMatch93

$ale of the Century to GSN.
« Reply #525 on: June 27, 2013, 09:59:03 AM »
Something interesting in today\'s episode: Jim said it would be Darrell\'s last crack at the WBMG, but he was only playing for the car. Was the $50,000 game discontinued?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

tyshaun1

« Reply #526 on: June 27, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »

Something interesting in today\'s episode: Jim said it would be Darrell\'s last crack at the WBMG, but he was only playing for the car. Was the $50,000 game discontinued?

I believe that if he wins the car, he would be given the option to risk the car for one more game. If he wins the next game, he would automatically be given the 50K.

Tyshaun

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #527 on: June 27, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »
That is a curious change for no reason coming down the home stretch of the series. Plus it tweaks the final act quite a lot.
Travis L. Eberle

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #528 on: June 27, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »
I always took it as a \"caught in the moment\" situation. At no point on the air was the $50,000 game announced as discontinued. Would\'ve made one hell of a final show if the car was won.

There was no risk involved. Win the car, you play one last game for a shot at $50k. Lose, you retire. That was it.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #529 on: June 27, 2013, 05:06:07 PM »

I doubt it, because the 50K would\'ve been still up for grabs on the next show...it is the last week, after all.

He still missed it anyway. Bollocks

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #530 on: June 27, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »

Do you remember the puzzle that done him in?

Travis L. Eberle

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #531 on: June 27, 2013, 05:24:04 PM »

Do you remember the puzzle that done him in?

Don\'t remember the exact words in the puzzle, but

It was about Jiminy Cricket. There was one more about the book \"Blind Ambition\", but he had only 2-4 seconds to get it.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 05:26:18 PM by Chief-O »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #532 on: June 29, 2013, 08:51:38 AM »

I wonder if that part of the show might have been reshot after Darrell lost his final WBMG. It couldn\'t have been for budgetary reasons...right?

Bill Neuweiler

« Reply #533 on: June 29, 2013, 12:06:58 PM »

I heard it too, and found it odd that this would be his last crack at the game.  The opening spiel still says that there\'s \'$50,000 in cash\' waiting at the end of the continuing journey.  Perhaps if he had won the car, the producers may have thrown in something additional?  I dunno, its just pure speculation at this point.

Also in the opening sequence this week, if you pause just before the car starts to rotate you\'ll see a person behind the turntable to the left of the car.  Not sure who he is, but I laughed when I saw him.  

<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #534 on: June 30, 2013, 02:44:34 AM »

I heard it too, and found it odd that this would be his last crack at the game.  The opening spiel still says that there\'s \'$50,000 in cash\' waiting at the end of the continuing journey.  Perhaps if he had won the car, the producers may have thrown in something additional?  I dunno, its just pure speculation at this point.

Also in the opening sequence this week, if you pause just before the car starts to rotate you\'ll see a person behind the turntable to the left of the car.  Not sure who he is, but I laughed when I saw him.

That person was clearly visible a couple of times, which led me to believe that it was supposed to be part of the backdrop theme, as if this was a car show and he was a pressman taking photos. But that could just be the liquor talking.

Regarding Perry\'s \"last crack\" remark, it seemed like a momentary brain fart to me.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #535 on: June 30, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
For the lulz:

The Wikipedia article for this show was edited to state that the $50k bonus game was discontinued. It even had a superscript citation. I checked the reference...

The \"source\" was the actual episode, meaning that the \"one last crack\" line was taken as gospel.

There\'s nothing to give definitive evidence to what happened, but I think it was a post-production reshoot and edit, or it was just simply an honest lapse.

On another point, I missed the man in the background during the opening car rotation. I better re-check my tape.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #536 on: June 30, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »
That\'s nothing.

On Wikipedia, I tried including information about Ray & Marc Ellis\' musical contributions. But AldezD, the biggest Wiki Nazi on there, kept deleting them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sale_of_the_Century_(U.S._game_show)&oldid=561318337\'>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sale_of_the_Century_(U.S._game_show)&oldid=561318337

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #537 on: June 30, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
Let\'s be careful about throwing around the word \"Nazi,\" please.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #538 on: July 12, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »

Sale\'s last 6 episodes averaged 165,000 viewers. So, six years from now, when someone debates how well Sale of the Century did on GSN, you can tell them the average for the first cycling of 65 episodes at 9:30 AM ET on GSN was a viewership of 181,000 people. As of Monday, the continuation of the second cycling of these episodes goes a half hour later to 10AM ET.

Also a fun little number - on Independence Day, Sale popped 323,000 viewers. Not too shabby for 9:30 in the morning.

catnap1972

« Reply #539 on: July 15, 2013, 09:41:06 PM »

(Just got around to watching the final week)

Looked like that guy had a control box or something...person responsible for working the turntable and (WBMG) podia, perhaps?