Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century to GSN.  (Read 102183 times)

Jeremy Nelson

$ale of the Century to GSN.
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2013, 04:57:35 PM »
I had no patience for those painful shows with bad gameplay, and stopped watching as a result. I know I\'m in a different class of \"fan\" than your average viewer, but when the scores of the game are in the low teens, something is wrong. 

Or, in GSN\'s case, something might have been right.  It was to their advantage to feature contestants and celebrities that weren\'t fantastic at the game because the jackpot only increased when somebody managed to get a perfect score in a round in the front game.

I wouldn\'t say that everybody they featured was terrible at the game, but most were only \"alright\".

You wrote exactly what I was in the process of writing, with the exception of one thing- linking front game success to end game rewards is all fine and dandy, but when you\'re knowingly sabotaging your contestant selection so the potential payout is lower, then maybe you need to not link the two.

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2013, 04:58:21 PM »
Meh, that\'s a mild annoyance, and all three networks erased shows at one point or another. NBC gets joked because their upper management, plain and simple, SUCKS.

I guess since the earliest episodes of Sale haven`t been rerun since original broadcast, you could make a case for them not being around anymore.  I still find it odd though.  The thought was all networks ceased erasing around the beginning of 1980, or even a couple of years prior to that.  Since Sale ran through the mid-late 80s, you`d think it should exist - especially since most (or all) of Scrabble exists.

Regardless, this is GREAT.  I`m glad to see GSN hasn`t forgotten about the classics.  It`s been a great last few months!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:58:40 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2013, 05:03:20 PM »
http://corp.gsn.com/press/releases/gsn-acquires-new-series-sale-century-and-new-episodes-press-your-luck-launch-april-1

It\'s made official in print by GSN now.  According to the release, $ale will air 65 episodes from the final NBC 1988-1989 season.  Also beginning April 1st, PYL will continue from where they left off in 1983 with 57 new episodes, Super Password gets 150 episodes from 1986-1987 and Password Plus from from the first season to 66 episodes from 1981-1982 with Tom Kennedy as host.  This is gonna be a great couple of months!!

EDIT:  Forgot to add, GSN will also be airing Match Game from 1975-1977 as well.

Great news!  I`m glad that GSN will be airing fresh episodes of these series, but what`s with the odd amounts - 57, 66.

I guess in PYL`s case that will bring us up to Feb 21, 1984 and completes the cycle of the beginnings of the series.  Hopefully eventually we`ll get to see the 1986 episodes on GSN.

Can`t wait!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:03:59 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »

Late to chime in, but... color me surprised.  Greg and I will be having a DVR space dilemma, that\'s for sure. (And that is a good thing!) :-D

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
Or, in GSN\'s case, something might have been right.  It was to their advantage to feature contestants and celebrities that weren\'t fantastic at the game because the jackpot only increased when somebody managed to get a perfect score in a round in the front game.

I wouldn\'t say that everybody they featured was terrible at the game, but most were only \"alright\".

You wrote exactly what I was in the process of writing, with the exception of one thing- linking front game success to end game rewards is all fine and dandy, but when you\'re knowingly sabotaging your contestant selection so the potential payout is lower, then maybe you need to not link the two.

This. The quality of play is what made me not incredibly heartbroken when the show didn\'t get picked up, but then as I said before I\'m in it for the gameplay first and the money second, so at least I\'m consistent. :)

If the attitude when celebrity casting was \"hmm, they\'re not that good, but that\'ll save us a few bucks\", then yeah, that\'s a massive problem.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Loogaroo

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »
If this hypothetical $otC revival is in the plans, the Top Two Things That Could Go Wrong would be the format and the question writing. A whole different animal.

I honestly wouldn\'t trust a revival of $otC to anyone but a network bringing the show back for prime-time - which we all know is never going to happen - because that\'s the only way you\'re going to have a prize budget that could possibly make any of the purchasing decisions worthwhile. The show doesn\'t work if the best prizes they can offer someone on an Instant Bargain are Orbitz travel vouchers and espresso machines.

You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2013, 06:28:07 PM »

Holy cow has GSN gotten something so so right. I\'m going to miss Dawson Feud if it isn\'t moved to the weekend or something, but man does this look good. New PYL, refreshing Super Password, Password Plus, and Match Game? Is this 2005?

What a way to open up spring.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

The Pyramids

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »

Last year I said the only addition that would get my attention would be Baker \'TPIR\'. I stand corrected. 

JMFabiano

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2013, 06:46:53 PM »
Holy cow has GSN gotten something so so right. I\'m going to miss Dawson Feud if it isn\'t moved to the weekend or something, but man does this look good. New PYL, refreshing Super Password, Password Plus, and Match Game? Is this 2005?

What a way to open up spring.

So no Classic Feud?  At all?  Wow, that would be for the first time in 15 years (or even all the way back to the beginning if you count the Dawson comeback episodes as \"classic\"). 

Given how well the modern versions do, I\'d think the classic version would at least have one space for life. 

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:47:40 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Winkfan

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »
It's made official in print by GSN now.  According to the release, $ale will air 65 episodes from the final NBC 1988-1989 season.  Also beginning April 1st, PYL will continue from where they left off in 1983 with 57 new episodes, Super Password gets 150 episodes from 1986-1987 and Password Plus from the first season to 66 episodes from 1981-1982 with Tom Kennedy as host.  This is gonna be a great couple of months!!

EDIT:  Forgot to add, GSN will also be airing Match Game from 1975-1977 as well.

To all this I say: YABBA DABBA DOO!!!!!

In regards to Match Game, I hope they'll pick up from where they left off in the current cycle; then I can resume building my DVD collection again.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 08:41:03 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »
Sounds like everybody wins: GSN picks up a show that lots of people like but I don\'t end up subscribing to the channel again because the episodes that GSN picked up are ones that I saw on USA of the least interesting format and have no interest in watching again.

This is truly a great day for America.
Travis L. Eberle

WhammyPower

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
This is truly a great day for America.

Agrees.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »

$ale on GSN? Hell has indeed frozen over.

I\'ll take it, no matter which version it is. If more episodes are found and can be acquired, more power to them. But for now, color me excited.

The Inquisitive One

This is the Way.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2013, 08:13:01 PM »
I don't care if it's 65 shows from the twilight period (possibly even the last 65) -- it's frickin' Sale of the Century on GSN. And dammit, even the Winner's Big Money Game era is better than Rossi's Temptation.

Hopefully eventually we'll get to see the 1986 episodes [of Press Your Luck] on GSN.
Honestly, I'd think they'd lease the last episodes of 1985 before that.

Speaking of Press, someone at Buzzerblog noted that prior to the '83 lease, GSN went as far back as Episode #110. This new lease only accounts for 107 of the first 109.

[EDIT 12/18/14: Fixed mangled quoting.]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:03:39 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2013, 08:23:25 PM »
Quote from: garoo\\\" post=\\\"305 link=topic=24586.msg966\\\" timestamp=\\\"1363810#msg966\\\" timestamp=\\\"1363810 date=3817704\\\"
[quote name=\\\"tvmi]If this hypothetical $otC revival is in the plans, the Top Two Things That Could Go Wrong would be the format and the question writing. A whole different animal.

I honestly wouldn\'t trust a revival of $otC to anyone but a network bringing the show back for prime-time - which we all know is never going to happen - because that\'s the only way you\'re going to have a prize budget that could possibly make any of the purchasing decisions worthwhile. The show doesn\'t work if the best prizes they can offer someone on an Instant Bargain are Orbitz travel vouchers and espresso machines.[/quote]

I agree and disagree. Yes, $ale is about glitz and glamour and getting top of the line stuff for dirt cheap. But I don\'t think that the prize budget needs to be sky high for it to work. I\'d be just fine seeing a $25K cash jackpot, a decent car, and some other things that are nice upgrades to my current standard of living. If a retired champ left with around $75K, I wouldn\'t be miffed- especially if they got everything else right.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.