Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century to GSN.  (Read 102198 times)

BrandonFG

$ale of the Century to GSN.
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »

The last disaster revival just means no one was watching. ;-) It was simply a one-and-done flop, which probably could\'ve been corrected with competent producing. I\'m willing to bet that the only people who would say \"I hope it was better than Temptation!!!\" are we geeks, not the average viewer that GSN wants.

As for the production costs, I\'m not following. Other than getting prizes to display, the host, and all the other usual stuff, what production costs do you speak of? Can\'t be any worse than dropping contestants through the floor...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:45:14 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »

It\'s always been nice when GSN throws fans a bone, but never did I expect the whole friggin\' skeleton.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »

I think the prize budget can be scaled down enough to still make it feasible, and GSN has shown the ability to do just that.  The major hurdles I would see are the format, and how to do this without carryover champs.

/Can be done, though

//Wish them the best of luck if they try

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:55:52 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »

Why are so many people jumping on the GSN/$ale revival bandwagon?  They just revived a classic show in the last year.  Look where it is now--the land of eternal weekend reruns, less than 5 months after its last original ep.  If I\'m GSN, would I revive a show with less name recognition than the Pyramid franchise and expect better results?  I can\'t see it happening.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2013, 01:02:32 PM »
Keep it close to the original (like Pyramid) and people start saying \"Hey, didn\'t we watch this 30 years ago?\"

Certainly I did. Which is why I immediately set and enjoyed a Season Pass.

/actually it was closer to \"Thank Friggin\' Gawd, this is what I watched 30 years ago\"

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:03:04 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvmitch

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
Why are so many people jumping on the GSN/$ale revival bandwagon?  They just revived a classic show in the last year.  Look where it is now--the land of eternal weekend reruns, less than 5 months after its last original ep.  If I\'m GSN, would I revive a show with less name recognition than the Pyramid franchise and expect better results?  I can\'t see it happening.

ISTR a long revival discussion thread about when GSN trotted Trivia Trap out of the vault a few years ago.

...or was that The Diamond Head Game...

You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 01:33:40 PM »

To me, it\'s just the fact that they\'re airing reruns of a show, as you said, with less name recognition than Pyramid. Of course, the revival speculation is very premature, but justified IMO in this case, given it\'s such an odd, somewhat obscure choice.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
ISTR a long revival discussion thread

There is a revival thread every time someone mentions a show that hasn\'t been mentioned in the previous three months, because some yahoos think they are actually fomenting interesting discussion when they append \"Revival?\" onto their comment about The Game Game.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »

Pyramid, in my opinion, really suffered from bad gameplay (which was mostly contributed by the celebs). As long as GSN can take the time to find some good contestants, I think it would work. I also think GSN would be willing to try again. Some revivals work, some don\'t. GSN has had a couple of misses with their revivals and that didn\'t stop them from trying again.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Don Howard

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »

Oh, this is lovely news. Very exciting. Thank you to The Network For Games.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »

I would love to see Scrabble on here soon, but I think cross-ownership with Fremantle and Hasbro may be the hold-up.

The other thing I\'ve got to say is that I actually prefer Scrabble to $ale. $ale is a good show, but the problem I have with $ale is that its format got worse and worse (The Winner\'s Big Money Game was good, but had zero to do with the show), while Scrabble\'s format got better and better. The change from straddling to self-contained in 1986 was a very welcome change in my book, as was the inclusion of the Bonus Sprint.

jimlangefan

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »

http://corp.gsn.com/press/releases/gsn-acquires-new-series-sale-century-and-new-episodes-press-your-luck-launch-april-1

It\'s made official in print by GSN now.  According to the release, $ale will air 65 episodes from the final NBC 1988-1989 season.  Also beginning April 1st, PYL will continue from where they left off in 1983 with 57 new episodes, Super Password gets 150 episodes from 1986-1987 and Password Plus goes from the first season to 66 episodes from 1981-1982 with Tom Kennedy as host.  This is gonna be a great couple of months!!

EDIT:  Forgot to add, GSN will also be airing Match Game from 1975-1977 as well.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:19:27 PM by jimlangefan »
TV's Big Dealer

J.R.

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »

I haven\'t had GSN (or cable for that matter) for several years now.

If there was a time I really wanted it back, boy, is it now...

-Joe Raygor

tvmitch

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »
Pyramid, in my opinion, really suffered from bad gameplay (which was mostly contributed by the celebs). As long as GSN can take the time to find some good contestants, I think it would work. I also think GSN would be willing to try again. Some revivals work, some don\'t. GSN has had a couple of misses with their revivals and that didn\'t stop them from trying again.

I think this is right on the money. I had no patience for those painful shows with bad gameplay, and stopped watching as a result. I know I\'m in a different class of \"fan\" than your average viewer, but when the scores of the game are in the low teens, something is wrong. 

If this hypothetical $otC revival is in the plans, the Top Two Things That Could Go Wrong would be the format and the question writing. A whole different animal.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:32:38 PM by tvmitch »
You should follow me on Twitter

Flerbert419

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
I had no patience for those painful shows with bad gameplay, and stopped watching as a result. I know I\'m in a different class of \"fan\" than your average viewer, but when the scores of the game are in the low teens, something is wrong. 

Or, in GSN\'s case, something might have been right.  It was to their advantage to feature contestants and celebrities that weren\'t fantastic at the game because the jackpot only increased when somebody managed to get a perfect score in a round in the front game.

I wouldn\'t say that everybody they featured was terrible, but most were only \"alright\".

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:51:37 PM by Flerbert419 »