Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century to GSN.  (Read 102160 times)

catnap1972

$ale of the Century to GSN.
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »
I can\'t believe it\'s been 17 1/2 years since $ale has been rerun. I wonder what took so long: was Fremantle asking too high of a price all this time, or was GSN simply not interested until now?

Or a little of both...

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »

Have we started taking bets on which version (or year) this is happening?

Over/Under at the Nighttime version.

catnap1972

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »

I\'ve already staked out last NBC season (88-89).

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 11:05:58 AM »

We can easily rule out Rossi-era. Very easily.

*Indecipherable screaming*

catnap1972

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
We can easily rule out Rossi-era. Very easily.

Hopefully lost to a bonfire.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »

USA only showed the syndicated edition and the last few months of the daytime run. And I believe that was how Grundy staffer Mitt Dawson (who passed away recently) assumed the rest of the daytime edition no longer exists.

But if (emphasis on \"IF\") it\'s true that the rest of the 80\'s daytime run no longer exists, then I guess I can see why so many people hate NBC so much, and crack jokes about it.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:11:30 AM by gameshowlover87 »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »

Pulling one out of my rear: Daytime run, Late \'87 through the \'89 finale. That car\'s definitely from the very late 80s by the looks of it, and GSN\'s bothering to advertise $ale, so I can\'t imagine 50 episodes on this one.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:28:55 AM by Seth Thrasher »

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »

One thing just occurred to me: The lights behind Jim Perry, when he made his entrance were there as early as late 1987. So they could be starting with that, instead of late 1988.

BrandonFG

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
But if (emphasis on \"IF\") it\'s true that the rest of the 80\'s daytime run no longer exists, then I guess I can see why so many people hate NBC so much, and crack jokes about it.

Meh, that\'s a mild annoyance, and all three networks erased shows at one point or another. NBC gets joked because their upper management, plain and simple, SUCKS

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »

Oh good lord.

Still now showing up in my TiVo listings yet, but I will keep an eye on it, and I assure you a Season Pass will follow quickly thereafter. :)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »

Meh, that\'s a mild annoyance, and all three networks erased shows at one point or another. NBC gets joked because their upper management, plain and simple, SUCKS

It was an exaggeration.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »

I\'ll be the first to theorize...could there be a GSN revival of it in the works as well?

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
I\'ll be the first to theorize...could there be a GSN revival of it in the works as well?

Ohhhh no you won\'t! ;-)

Part of me wonders whether they feel Temptation is worth reviving, and want to use the original to test the waters...

/Great minds think alike?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:37:00 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jumpondees

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »

I highly doubt it.  The production costs on a show like $ale (excluding the prize budget) would be way out of their comfort zone.  After the last disaster revival of this format, who is going to want to touch this property?

catnap1972

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »

And a revival turns into a \"damned if you do, damned if you don\'t\" thing...update it too much and people remember that recent piece of crap.  Keep it close to the original (like Pyramid) and people start saying \"Hey, didn\'t we watch this 30 years ago?\"