Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century to GSN.  (Read 103535 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
$ale of the Century to GSN.
« Reply #480 on: May 26, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »

If syndie Sale was that big of a bomb, then why didn\'t it just come to an end after its initial eight months? I would think getting a year and a half, even in a crowded syndication market, was pretty good for that time.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #481 on: May 27, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »

I haven\'t looked through old microfiche in awhile, but WVEC in Norfolk at least aired the second season in the afternoon. I wanna say 4:00 or 5:00 pm.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

trainman

« Reply #482 on: May 27, 2013, 02:20:28 AM »
Tampa, FL

The station that was then known as WXFL (the once and future WFLA-TV) at 7:30 PM, at least as of early April. They did also clear the daytime version.

Per the TV Guide I got that info from, it also aired on WINK-TV in Ft. Myers, also at 7:30.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:21:07 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #483 on: May 27, 2013, 03:12:37 AM »

IIRC, KYW-TV 3(back then an NBC affiliate) in Philadelphia aired $ale at 3:30 PM during the short time that I saw it in 1985 before it got replaced(not sure if it was replaced by Super Password or Scrabble at that time).

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #484 on: May 27, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »

I don\'t think there was a barter element with syndicated $ale at the beginning so launching the show with few clearances was not a big deal.  In today\'s syndicated market every show has to have enough stations to satisfy a national advertiser.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #485 on: May 27, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »

Nope. There wasn\'t. This is what the advertisement for that edition said in the 12/31/84 issue:

THE SOLUTION OF THE CENTURY IS $ALE OF THE CENTURY

A FIRM GO FOR JAN. 7!!

YOUR ANSWER FOR ACCESS TODAY

• A Daytime Network Winner In Its 3rd Year on NBC

• A Proven Ratings Success

• No Barter

• The Only New Show Ready for Access This January

• A Proven Daytime Winner Just Like the Only Shows In Access Today

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:18:12 AM by gameshowlover87 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #486 on: May 27, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »

When syndicated WOF started, not only did they have few clearances, but NYC and LA were not cleared.  When the show got big ratings in the markets that did carry it, the big cities got interested.  That could not happen in today\'s syndication world.  There have to be enough stations on board before launch to have the barter advertisers interested, then the syndicator can declare a definite go.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #487 on: May 27, 2013, 10:27:17 AM »

That\'s why I was surprised when I found out the LA area never carried the syndie $ale. I guess the USA reruns was the only time us LA folks got to see it.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #488 on: May 27, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »
I tried researching old issues of Broadcasting Magazine to see which stations carried the syndicated edition of this show (which debuted on January 07, 1985). There didn\'t seem to be a lot of information. I did learn two things, though:

1) The series didn\'t seem to get higher than 6.2 in terms of ratings.

2) It was only carried by, like 32 stations. Seemed like Syndie $ale was THAT big of a bomb. Here\'s just some of them:

WLS-TV: Chicago

WXYZ-TV: Detroit

WPXI-TV: Pittsburgh

WTVJ-TV: Miami

KIRO-TV: Seattle

WABC-TV/WOR-TV: New York

WNCT-TV: Greenville

Columbus, OH

Tampa, FL

KXAS-TV: Dallas

If you know any of the others I overlooked, feel free to mention them.

WTNH New Haven, CT (started in Fall 1985)

WTEN Albany, NY (season 1 only, in a market which never saw daytime $ale)

Scrabbleship

« Reply #489 on: May 27, 2013, 02:17:05 PM »
I don\'t think there was a barter element with syndicated $ale at the beginning so launching the show with few clearances was not a big deal.  In today\'s syndicated market every show has to have enough stations to satisfy a national advertiser.

IIRC this is what derailed the aborted Gordon Elliott version of LMaD back in 1999 given they were unable to find anyone in NYC or LA to clear it. I think this is becoming subverted as you see groups making their own product and not taking them national, see Let\'s Ask Scripps\' 13 Markets America not going national just yet.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #490 on: May 28, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »

Have a music cue question.  While watching Friday\'s show (OAD:  1/31/89), the music cue that played underneath the trip to Washington State IB sounded real familiar (almost like it was commercially available as opposed to one the Ellises did specifically for the show).  Was that the case?

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SuperMatch93

« Reply #491 on: May 31, 2013, 01:35:10 AM »
Random question: Was the audience ever seen on camera in any American $ale episode anyone can recall?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #492 on: May 31, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »
Random question: Was the audience ever seen on camera in any American $ale episode anyone can recall?

I\'ve wondered that too, but have never seen it. There\'s a big win on Youtube where Jim mentions the audience giving the contestant a standing ovation...was a bit surprised they didn\'t cut to a shot of that.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #493 on: May 31, 2013, 01:59:50 PM »

Week eight slides a bit to an average of 187,000 viewers: The high for the week was 227,000 viewers, contrasted with a low of 148,000 viewers

Week one average: 132,000 viewers

Week two average: 138,000 viewers

Week three average: 129,000 viewers

Week four average: 184,000 viewers

Week five average: 188,000 viewers

Week six average: 193,000 viewers

Week seven average: 205,000 viewers

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #494 on: June 01, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »

^^^

I wonder if the drop had anything to do with

Spoiler (I haven\'t found a spoiler tag on the toolbar, so if someone will kindly point out to me how otherwise to hide a spoiler) :

all the one-and-done champs since LaRae Dillman was retired due to losing the car.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:50:58 PM by Tony Peters »
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...