Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Matt Lauer....  (Read 13077 times)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Matt Lauer....
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »
Lauer will retire to the same \"emeritus\" track that Tom Brokaw has taken.  Specials, Olympic coverage, stuff like that. 

Can\'t forget a news piece on Rock Center. That\'s a regular \"Cavalcade of Stars\" with semi-retired news people.

Honestly, I think Oprah is the best female-host choice for Jeopardy! anyone has listed.

Eh, that\'s debatable. She certainly has the experience and the background, but the way she conducts proceedings doesn\'t scream Jeopardy! to me.

I\'d love to see what Hoda Kotb could do when she isn\'t attached to Kathie Lee. I like Soledad O\'Brien, but I just don\'t see her being as dynamic for the role. I kind of feel the same way about Diane Sawyer. Katie Couric is a little too charismatic for my taste, but I suppose she could tone it down.

If only Barbara Walters was 20 years younger.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:31:57 AM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

colonial

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »

At this time last year, I don\'t think many people would have had issues with Matt Lauer as a J! host.  Fast-forward a year later, and the proverbial poop has hit the fan regarding his likability and future (plunging \"Today\" ratings, what role (if any) he had in Ann Curry\'s removal as host and Savannah Guthrie\'s inclusion, his recent run of PR repair, etc.).  I honestly think Lauer would rather take a Brokaw-esque emeritus role at NBC, or perhaps pair up with Katie Couric on her talker (if it\'s still on by then) before taking the J! job.

Dan Patrick is an interesting choice.  He mentioned a few years back that he was approached to audition for TPiR and turned it down, so I have to wonder if he\'s open to hosting a game show down the line.  I think he has the potential of being a good emcee if he wants to give it a shot.

If a news guy is selected, I\'ll be curious to see if J!/Sony would allow said host to continue and/or pursue his/her news work.  Sony is not affiliated with a major network or cable TV channel in the U.S., so we wouldn\'t have a situation, say, Anderson Cooper had when he gave up his ABC News duties to host \"The Mole\". 

JD

BrandonFG

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
How about Al Roker?

Given the way he shouted during even the lower-tier questions on Millionaire, I\'d say no.

I like the idea of someone with a news background, but that doesn\'t mean every single journalist should be considered.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »

George Stephonopolis? Not sure what he\'s doing these days, but Harry Smith might have the proper balance to do the show competently.  If he were well, I\'d suggest Mark McEwen.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:33:35 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Casey

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 06:21:51 PM »

I definitely could see Anderson Cooper fitting in with the show.  As others have stated, he has, I think, the right mix of journalist background, humor, and name recognition that I think very few people would be put off by seeing him there.  

Unrealtor

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
The one thing that makes me unsure about Anderson Cooper is that I have a hard time seeing them doing guest hosts and I have a hard time seeing him giving up flying off to the big news story of the moment unless he\'s out of the day-to-day anchoring job, which I don\'t see him doing just for Jeopardy.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

mystery7

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 08:52:53 AM »
George Stephonopolis? Not sure what he\'s doing these days, but Harry Smith might have the proper balance to do the show competently.  If he were well, I\'d suggest Mark McEwen.

Stephanopolous? The guy on ABC? With GMA every weekday and This Week on Sundays, J! would be a tough fit.

And to reflect on Brandon\'s thoughts, not every news person wants to be considered, regardless of desire of the producers or perceived competency (see Wallace, Mike).

Jimmy Owen

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »

What some people forget (or maybe don\'t know) is that Alex Trebek was originally hired by Lin Bolen primarily as eye candy for \'70\'s hausfraus.  The thing about Anderson Cooper is that his daytime talk show failed for local stations, so would station managers be excited about him fronting J!? Same thing for Probst or anyone else who did a failed talk show? Another gal I wouldn\'t mind seeing on J! is Wipeout\'s Jill Wagner.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:50:56 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »
And to reflect on Brandon\'s thoughts, not every news person wants to be considered, regardless of desire of the producers or perceived competency (see Wallace, Mike).

Very true. And there\'s also the possibility that some news people actually have poor stage presence, i.e. Dave Price\'s TPiR audition. Jeopardy is a pretty serious show, but you get nothing more than a talking head who doesn\'t interview well, and your show becomes a dreadful bore.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Matt Lauer....
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
And there\'s also the possibility that some news people actually have poor stage presence, i.e. Dave Price\'s TPiR audition.

Where did you hear or see this? According to Roger here, Price did very well and impressed both Roger and Barker, but Fremantle didn\'t like him and made CBS consider other candidates.

The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Matt Lauer....
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »
I would take into account Dave Price\'s awful week as substitute host on Millionaire. But I\'m just one guy and can\'t do my own original research.
Travis L. Eberle

tvwxman

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 04:14:50 PM »
And there\'s also the possibility that some news people actually have poor stage presence, i.e. Dave Price\'s TPiR audition.

Where did you hear or see this? According to Roger here, Price did very well and impressed both Roger and Barker, but Fremantle didn\'t like him and made CBS consider other candidates.

Just because Roger says something, does not make this gospel. In fact, regarding this \'opinion\', Roger was in the minority.

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »
Same thing for Probst or anyone else who did a failed talk show?

In defense of Probst, though he hosts a now-cancelled talk show, he is still hosting an Emmy-winning (pseudo-) game show and has hosted a respectable Jeopardy spin-off -- though not as formal as it\'s parent show.  Nonetheless, Jeff should not be lumped into the same class as Anderson Cooper, or Ricki Lake.

BrandonFG

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »

That\'s the first place I\'ve read that he had a good audition. By all the accounts I read (here and elsewhere), he was stiff, and not much better than what he did on Millionaire.

Jamey Greek

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »
At this time last year, I don\'t think many people would have had issues with Matt Lauer as a J! host.  Fast-forward a year later, and the proverbial poop has hit the fan regarding his likability and future (plunging \"Today\" ratings, what role (if any) he had in Ann Curry\'s removal as host and Savannah Guthrie\'s inclusion, his recent run of PR repair, etc.).  I honestly think Lauer would rather take a Brokaw-esque emeritus role at NBC, or perhaps pair up with Katie Couric on her talker (if it\'s still on by then) before taking the J! job.

Dan Patrick is an interesting choice.  He mentioned a few years back that he was approached to audition for TPiR and turned it down, so I have to wonder if he\'s open to hosting a game show down the line.  I think he has the potential of being a good emcee if he wants to give it a shot.

If a news guy is selected, I\'ll be curious to see if J!/Sony would allow said host to continue and/or pursue his/her news work.  Sony is not affiliated with a major network or cable TV channel in the U.S., so we wouldn\'t have a situation, say, Anderson Cooper had when he gave up his ABC News duties to host \"The Mole\". 

JD

Dan Patrick expressed interest on his radio show.  To host J!