Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Matt Lauer....  (Read 13075 times)

weaklink75

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »

I\'m really not sure if he\'d work well with the J format- does he have the right gravitas? The article also mentioned Anderson Cooper...he might work better I\'d think. They still have some time to think it over though- I\'d probably want the replacement named by the start of Alex\'s last season, maybe ease the transition by having him or her do one of the tournaments as a preview to the full handover..

BrandonFG

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:10:26 AM »

The fact that they want to stay in the journalistic realm and not another comedian makes me happy. Wonder if Probst will go for it?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jay Temple

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »

I second Brandon\'s sentiment.

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Bryce L.

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:48:58 AM »
The fact that they want to stay in the journalistic realm and not another comedian makes me happy. Wonder if Probst will go for it?

I imagine Probst would be qualified to do the job, because of his experience with Rock & Roll Jeopardy

pacdude

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »

I think out of all the names that have been bandied about, the only feel best about is Anderson Cooper. He\'s got a dry wit and a nice side of not-cloying charm. He\'s got good enunciation and I think the general consensus is that he\'s quite intelligent. He obviously has enough gravitas to fill Trebek\'s shoes. 

Matt Lauer lacks enough solemnity (eh, there\'s a better word there for that) in his overall demeanor, and I don\'t think that Jeff Probst can be taken seriously enough in the public\'s eye (45 seasons of mozzi bites in the wilderness will do that to a person). Pat Kiernan is a good candidate, but I don\'t think he has enough national presence.

That, and I have a giant mancrush on Anderson Cooper and reject the notion that anyone wouldn\'t.

Matt Ottinger

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »

Anderson Cooper.  Come back in three years so I can say \"I told you so.\"  The only other possibility would be someone who is right now completely off the radar.  Lauer will retire to the same \"emeritus\" track that Tom Brokaw has taken.  Specials, Olympic coverage, stuff like that.  Probst ain\'t gonna happen.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mike Tennant

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »
The only other possibility would be someone who is right now completely off the radar.

Have you submitted your tape/disc yet?

// KenJen, anyone?

/// Edit: Not trying to rub it in.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:59:26 PM by Mike Tennant »

tvwxman

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »

Lauer won\'t do it. Anderson is all wrong for it. He\'ll try to inject himself too much into the proceedings.

Harry gets one thing VERY right with this job : It belongs to a news anchor. Reading 61 clues solidly, and adlib-ing during occasional moments, while watching producers for cues, and doing contestant interviews? This is not for a comedian - this is for someone with serious teleprompting / news program experience.

Since we\'re playing pure hypotheticals :  Bob Costas?

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »
Since we\'re playing pure hypotheticals :  Bob Costas?

I\'ve thought that in the past as well, and still like the idea. He could even have every four summers off to cover the Olympics... :-P

A few years ago, I would\'ve said Keith Olbermann, but he seems to be an insufferable prick everywhere he goes.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Matt Lauer....
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
A few years ago, I would\'ve said Keith Olbermann, but he seems to be an insufferable prick everywhere he goes.

I follow his Twitter feed every so often, and he and I are kindred spirits when it comes to being an insufferable prick when smacking down the exceptionally stupid, but the problem seems to be that he carries it into the office, and I\'m only an insufferable prick here when it comes to dealing with Marketing. :)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SuperMatch93

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »

If we\'re going full hypothetical here... Brian Williams?

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

NickS

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »
Pat Kiernan is a good candidate, but I don\'t think he has enough national presence.

Same could be said when Pat Sajak took over for Woolery, no?

/Team Kiernan

BrandonFG

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
Pat Kiernan is a good candidate, but I don\'t think he has enough national presence.

Same could be said when Pat Sajak took over for Woolery, no?

/Team Kiernan

I dunno...IMO, it was much different back then...Griffin still had control of the show, so more input on the host. That, and the fact that Wheel was hanging on by a thread at NBC back then as opposed to the juggernaut it is now.

/Would love to see Kiernan get another hosting gig

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:43:15 PM by BrandonFG »

chad1m

Matt Lauer....
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 04:45:04 PM »
If we\'re going full hypothetical here... Brian Williams?

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/brian-williams-dan-patrick-considered-for-alex-trebek-replacement-on-jeopardy-matt-lauer-anderson-cooper-also-in-mix

Not so hypothetical it would seem, along with Dan Patrick.

I like Anderson\'s personality more than Matt\'s. I like them both, but Matt can come off to me as smarmy sometimes, whereas Anderson\'s humor is more understated and clever, something that works well for Jeopardy! I could enjoy Brian Williams, I think. And I don\'t know enough about Dan Patrick to make a call on him.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:45:51 PM by chad1m »