Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do You Roku?  (Read 29916 times)

Tim L

Do You Roku?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 11:03:42 PM »

Thirded, Though I\'ve had the Roku hooked up over a year, I havent really gotten the Pop/Flix Channel as yet..Havent really done a lot with Roku anyway lately.  They do have Internet Archive as a channel..Mostly all the videos you\'d see regularly on their web-based pages, including some old DuMont shows, like Johnny Oleson\'s Kids and Company..As well as some old Game Shows

geno57

Do You Roku?
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 03:35:38 AM »

I\'ve had Roku for over a year now.  I use it to stream movies and TV shows via NetFlix and Amazon.  That\'s pretty much all.  I haven\'t delved much deeper.  I guess I\'ll have to, now!  Thanks guys.

tvmitch

Do You Roku?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 07:07:30 AM »
It\'s the same stream from http://www.filmon.com

I wish we were able to give rep points. Cory, I give you 10 fake rep points for this post.

And this is a great discussion. I am picking up a Roku today. Thought that it duplicated a lot of functionality of my Apple TV but it seems 100x more useful. Plus, Challenge.

Now all I need is a good HDMI switcher. I have bought two and they are duds.

You should follow me on Twitter

aaron sica

Do You Roku?
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 07:15:04 AM »

You know, I have to laugh and look back a second. It seems like just yesterday someone found a stream of GSN that could be accessed via NetShow. It was 56k, very choppy, but it was GSN for those who didn\'t have it! Now I sit in my chair watching my TV, with a device capable of streaming a game show channel from across the pond...I have a feeling Challenge TV will be gaining a lot of stateside viewers today.....:)

tpirfan28

Do You Roku?
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »

FilmOn is also available for XMBC (an open-sourced Linux media program).  That means I don\'t have to hook my Roku back up.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:36:03 AM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

JMFabiano

Do You Roku?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 10:59:48 AM »

I have been enjoying my Roku player since the holidays, and its fun finding some lost shows and movies on the hundreds of \"niche channels\" they carry.

POP FLIX/CLASSIC TV -- Mostly Public Domain shows, but they have quite a few \"You Bet Your Life\" shows, and for you Betty White fans, they also carry most. if not all eps of \"Date With The Angels\" and \"Life With Elizabeth\"

JLTV (Jewish Life TV) -- At least twice a week, they show old reruns of the \"Soupy Sales Show\" and \"Candid Camera\"

Which seasons of Candid Camera?  And how many Life With Elizabeth eps. do they have?  Anything not covered by the PD DVDs?

Right now, they are early on in the first year of the 70\'s run, when \"Treasure Isle\" host and legendary voiceover performer (Fotomat/Dirt Devil/Owens Corning) John Bartholomew Tucker was co-hosting with Allen Funt.  I never realized how bad that first season was when you compared it to the later years of the 70\'s incarnation of Candid Camera.

As far as Betty White, I counted 20 \"Life w/ Elizabeth\" eps and 18 \"Date w/ the Angels\" eps. 

...And there were 24 episodes of Celebrity Bowling.

Oh!  Was this the time they were using the scat theme instead of the updated traditional one?  (I first saw those episodes when HA! ran them...at the end of that channel\'s run, in fact, they became the Candid Camera Channel pretty much) 

Am now wondering which CC\'s USA used to run....I just recall the \"rainbow lens\" episodes... 

And I checked my Roku\'s channel shop and didn\'t see JLTV...

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

Do You Roku?
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »

I love my Roku, though I haven\'t really explored the channels too much, just the Netflix/Hulu+/Crackle apps. A couple of months ago, I had friends over and we watched a few public domain commercials from the 50s-60s. So hilarious, so sexist, so boring*. I keep saying I\'m going to check out some of the PD horror flicks for lulz.

And yes, who do I have to bribe to get an authentic Youtube app? I don\'t mind going through the avenues described in this thread, but the real thing would be ideal.

{shamelessly blatant plug}If you go to FilmOn, look up 7 Cities. It\'s the low no-budget show I created, wrote, and produced a few years ago. Labor of love, it was.{/shamelessly blatant plug}

*/The probably NSFW version is far more exciting.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:15:23 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Do You Roku?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »
And yes, who do I have to bribe to get an authentic Youtube app?

Microsoft. Give us $199 and we\'ll hook you right up. :D

EDIT: Reiterating the gold star to Tim...I set up a MyPlex account and was very pleasantly surprised as to what a good experience that was, since Roku\'s UI has never blown my skirt. Now I just have to get around to installing Plex on the new Win8 box...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:15:37 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

Do You Roku?
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »

I have been enjoying my Roku player since the holidays, and its fun finding some lost shows and movies on the hundreds of \"niche channels\" they carry.

POP FLIX/CLASSIC TV -- Mostly Public Domain shows, but they have quite a few \"You Bet Your Life\" shows, and for you Betty White fans, they also carry most. if not all eps of \"Date With The Angels\" and \"Life With Elizabeth\"

JLTV (Jewish Life TV) -- At least twice a week, they show old reruns of the \"Soupy Sales Show\" and \"Candid Camera\"

Which seasons of Candid Camera?  And how many Life With Elizabeth eps. do they have?  Anything not covered by the PD DVDs?

Right now, they are early on in the first year of the 70\'s run, when \"Treasure Isle\" host and legendary voiceover performer (Fotomat/Dirt Devil/Owens Corning) John Bartholomew Tucker was co-hosting with Allen Funt.  I never realized how bad that first season was when you compared it to the later years of the 70\'s incarnation of Candid Camera.

As far as Betty White, I counted 20 \"Life w/ Elizabeth\" eps and 18 \"Date w/ the Angels\" eps. 

...And there were 24 episodes of Celebrity Bowling.

Oh!  Was this the time they were using the scat theme instead of the updated traditional one?  (I first saw those episodes when HA! ran them...at the end of that channel\'s run, in fact, they became the Candid Camera Channel pretty much)

Weren\'t all of the JBT episodes (with the scat theme) called The New Candid Camera?  When Betsy Palmer replaced him (er, it was Tucker -> Palmer -> Jo Ann Pflug, wasn\'t it?), the theme and title changed back.

JMFabiano

Do You Roku?
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »
Weren\'t all of the JBT episodes (with the scat theme) called The New Candid Camera?  When Betsy Palmer replaced him (er, it was Tucker -> Palmer -> Jo Ann Pflug, wasn\'t it?), the theme and title changed back.

Maybe, but I remember it carrying over to the later episodes too, as per the announcer\'s opening spiel.  Don\'t remember the opening to the JBT episodes except for the different theme and the Card Sharks-style logo with the red dots. 

Now if only I could find the words to the end theme of the JBT episodes (yes, there was a version of the theme with real words instead of scat)...that\'s haunted me for the last 23 years...

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TimK2003

Do You Roku?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »

Maybe, but I remember it carrying over to the later episodes too, as per the announcer\'s opening spiel.  Don\'t remember the opening to the JBT episodes except for the different theme and the Card Sharks-style logo with the red dots. 

Now if only I could find the words to the end theme of the JBT episodes (yes, there was a version of the theme with real words instead of scat)...that\'s haunted me for the last 23 years...

It was verbally called \"The New Candid Camera Show\", but there was never any visual sign or logo which said that.  However, the old 60\'s reruns were still in syndication for a little while when the new version came out (I believe that Cleveland\'s old Channel 61/WKBF ran them until they went belly-up). 

aaron sica

Do You Roku?
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 06:16:33 AM »

Thought this might of some help for people who want to know the schedule for Challenge TV........For folks in the Eastern time zone like me, they are 5 hours ahead of us. Subtract (or add. even!) as needed.

http://tvlistings.guardian.co.uk/text-only/?c=challenge

Tim L

Do You Roku?
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 11:25:54 PM »

Watched Celebrity Bowling tonight on n2TV-Ed Ames/MacLean Stevenson vs. Tom Kennedy/Richard Deacon.  We\'ve talked about this before, but It\'s fun to see who of the celebrities have actually bowled before. MacLean, Ed and Tom look like they have, though they are\'nt great bowlers.  Richard was pretty bad, though he apparently got a strike during the 6th or 7th frame which they dont usually show because of editing the show into a half hour time frame.  Love some of the prizes they gave away..A prehistoric microwave oven, A Ross Stereo system (8-track) and a Chevy Vega if a team bowls 210 or more..

One thing that is sort of annoying are the commercials n2TV sticks in here-Not edited according to the original breaks in the show, so a spot could show up anytime..Not a major thing though..

TimK2003

Do You Roku?
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »
FWIW, for the Candid Camera fans out there, JLTV has now gone even further back to the 1967 CBS episodes with game show panelist Bess Myerson as Allen Funt\'s co-host.  I have never seen the color CBS version of candid camera before so this is a big treat!

snowpeck

Do You Roku?
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »

Seems FilmOn has dumped Challenge (along with a lot of the other UK feeds it carried) so if that is the source for the feed that\'s been available on Roku, looks like that is gone now as well.

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)