Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gambit cards  (Read 15897 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Gambit cards
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »
I actually have a number of cards from \"Card Sharks\" which just made the move with me to Austin TX, they\'re in a box I still haven\'t unpacked.  No face cards, just number cards.  They were on e-bay a number of years ago.  

1) which version and 2) one of them wouldn\'t happen to be the Three of Clubs, would it? :)

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

narzo

Gambit cards
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »
I actually have a number of cards from \"Card Sharks\" which just made the move with me to Austin TX, they\'re in a box I still haven\'t unpacked.  No face cards, just number cards.  They were on e-bay a number of years ago.  

1) which version and 2) one of them wouldn\'t happen to be the Three of Clubs, would it? :)

either 70s or 80s, probably 80s considering the years elapsed.  Dunno about the three of clubs, when they\'re unpacked I\'ll check.  I honestly have hardly touched them since I got them, used them as background for some photos of watches and that\'s about it.  (that last sentence actually makes sense, if you know me) 

rstrata

Gambit cards
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 06:34:40 AM »

.....is everyone around here a P&T fan too?

(....is this your card?)

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/19802_2795412421664_1668257673_n.jpg

clemon79

Gambit cards
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »
.....is everyone around here a P&T fan too?

(....is this your card?)
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/19802_2795412421664_1668257673_n.jpg

Amazing, how did you know?

We have a novelty shop here in Seattle called Archie McPhee. One day I was in there and in one of the multitude of \"schlocky party favor item\" bins they have there, they had a metric farkton of clear Superballs with a picture of a little playing card embedded inside of each. I immediately started digging through and with minimal effort found a Three of Clubs, and it was a favorite desk toy of mine for quite a while until I lost it in some office move or another.

/yes, that card was sitting on a 3d-printed Weighted Companion Cube

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:36:39 PM by clemon79 »

Sonic Whammy

Gambit cards
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 12:14:36 AM »

These are just simply amazing. I\'m in shock and awe. Guard those cards with your life.

I wish that I personally had the Card Sharks cards, but I doubt that day will ever come. If nothing else, when I started doing Anime Card Sharks last year, I did the next best thing and made my own decks for the show. And yes, those things ARE heavy.

Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

weaklink75

Gambit cards
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »
These are just simply amazing. I\'m in shock and awe. Guard those cards with your life.

I wish that I personally had the Card Sharks cards, but I doubt that day will ever come. If nothing else, when I started doing Anime Card Sharks last year, I did the next best thing and made my own decks for the show. And yes, those things ARE heavy.

Those look incredible...how long did it take you to make them?

rstrata

Gambit cards
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 08:46:38 PM »

@JMFabiano: Actually, that\'s not quite correct: while the Gambit cards are indeed the exact same drawing for each court member, the Card Sharks cards followed the so-called \"standard\" pattern (one-eyed Spade and Heart Jacks, one-eyed Diamond King, and oversized Spade Ace).

As for Card Sharks, the only deck I\'ve seen is a promotional one that was on eBay a looooong time ago.  It had been acquired by someone who, when very young, had written in and asked for a deck of the giant cards used on the show; someone on the production staff took pity at their naivete and sent them a normal-sized deck.  I had been the high bidder on it until it was highlighted here on the forum as an \"eBay find of the week\"; I\'d like to think it was won by a fellow forum member who appreciates it as much as I would have.

True...though the faces and the bodies remained the same, with minor tweaks here and there. (only the one-eyed Jacks and the King of Diamonds had \"unique\" heads)

I actually had a deck of the promotional CS cards at one time.  I was disappointed to discover that they didn\'t use the same artwork, instead having a modified version of...I forget the company, but they had the artwork that featured crosses on the King and Queen of Hearts\' sashes, a yellowish-brown King of Spades, and more. 

I believe I can identify the maker of the deck from your description.

From the World Web Playing Card Museum, the United States

Playing Card Company bridge-sized narrow deck, version #1:

....this thread has now referenced three of my non-game show hobbies.

I had two of the Aces pegged before you began showing the cards, and got the third

Ace by process of elimination after you revealed Rei Ayanami.  I\'d have had Belldandy

as a Queen and bumped Mononoke back down with Kiki and the other Miyazaki

heroines, but that\'s just me.  (My license plate reads HOLYBEL; I may be biased.)

I was rather surprised Lum didn\'t make the cut, though...

(The Gambit deck weighs about 8.5 pounds, box and all.)

Sonic Whammy

Gambit cards
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 11:24:59 PM »
....this thread has now referenced three of my non-game show hobbies.

I had two of the Aces pegged before you began showing the cards, and got the third

Ace by process of elimination after you revealed Rei Ayanami.  I\'d have had Belldandy

as a Queen and bumped Mononoke back down with Kiki and the other Miyazaki

heroines, but that\'s just me.  (My license plate reads HOLYBEL; I may be biased.)

I was rather surprised Lum didn\'t make the cut, though...

(The Gambit deck weighs about 8.5 pounds, box and all.)

Those look incredible...how long did it take you to make them?

8 1/2 pounds? Man, did I get off easy, cuz those things look so much lighter. Maybe the real CS decks WERE as heavy as Jim said back when.

These decks took about 4 months of on and off work, and were finished literally the night before we had to use them. As far as the characters, I chose none of them. My teammated Robert & Trevor decided on who ended up where. Far as I can tell, they decided the more iconic the anime, the higher its value was. We kept our promise of 52 cards = 52 anime. A couple of their personal favorites made the lower end of the scale. But if I never have to redraw LilyBit again...

Brian Sapinski

wdm1219inpenna

Gambit cards
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »

Oh Rstrata.  After seeing these pics, I have broken a commandment...\"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor\'s posessions\".  Those cards look in incredible shape for being 40 or so years old.  The entire deck?

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but did that deck include jokers?  I know they never used them on the actual show.

You mentioned something about stains on some of the cards?  Are they like stains from aging, or was something possibly spilled on them?

A truly magnificent and most prized game show prop posession you have sir.  Because of how much I loved \"Gambit\" and adore those giant cards, I would never allow myself to come to your house to visit to look at them, out of fear that my DROOL might in some way, shape or form further taint those beauties!

Such a shame that \"Catch 21\" didn\'t use these types of cards.  If ever you take a picture of all 52, I\'d LOVE to see that!  LOVE LOVE LOVE to see that, especially those gorgeous face cards.  Love the way the Clubs are drawn.  Just phenomenal.

I\'d also love to get my hands on a pair of the original Trebek High Rollers\' dice.

clemon79

Gambit cards
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »

I cannot tell you how creeped out I am right now. Especially what with that last sentence.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:39:32 PM by clemon79 »

Thunder

Gambit cards
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »

I was already creeped out at \"Anime Card Sharks\" above that.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Gambit cards
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16:44 PM »
How exactly would you carry that out? What kind of questions would you ask to 100 anime fans?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

Gambit cards
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »
How exactly would you carry that out? What kind of questions would you ask to 100 anime fans?

\"We asked 100 anime fans: Who was your favorite character in Ranma 1/2? How many of them said their favorite was P-Chan?\"

\"We asked 100 anime fans: Have you ever sculpted a Totoro out of a baked potato? How many said yes, they did?\"

Honestly, he without sin. There are lots of ways to target a survey at a niche audience.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:29:23 PM by clemon79 »

rstrata

Gambit cards
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »

@wdm1219inpenna:

It\'s the full deck of 52, with no jokers; I doubt any were ever made, since the 

gameplay of Gambit doesn\'t require them.  There\'s no way I can take a picture 

of all of the cards at once without a stepladder, and I don\'t think my living 

room floor is big enough to spread them all out on anyway.  Upon closer 

inspection, some of what I originally thought were stains are actually spots in 

the cardboard itself, while others are mysterious shiny splotches or scuff 

marks.  In my experience, on (what seems to be so far) a one-of-a-kind item 

like this, it\'s best to just leave them alone.

If I really wanted to cause Biblical wailing and gnashing of teeth, I could reveal 

that the collector I bought these from has had them for sale since May of 

2005, and I was simply the first person in more than seven years to inquire 

about them.  However, that would be cruel...

As for High Rollers dice...well, I know for a certainty that at least one set 

survived, with a chain of provenance much more complete than these cards, 

and is now in private hands; but if the current owner doesn\'t wish to identify 

themselves, I\'m not going to do it either.

Sonic Whammy

Gambit cards
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »

\"We asked 100 anime fans: Who was your favorite character in Ranma 1/2? How many of them said their favorite was P-Chan?\"

\"We asked 100 anime fans: Have you ever sculpted a Totoro out of a baked potato? How many said yes, they did?\"

Honestly, he without sin. There are lots of ways to target a survey at a niche audience.

Totoro out of a baked potato? Hadn\'t thought of that one yet, not sure I would have ever.

I have a survey form on my website where we ask our current surveys. We ask things relating to things associated with being an anime fan and the convention world, as well as cosplay, characters or plot points of particular anime, and even some \"what would you do\" kind of questions if you were in the anime yourself. A fast couple examples:

We asked 100 Naruto fans: If you could ever become a ninja, would you choose orange as the color of your uniform?

We asked 100 cosplayers: The first time you ever saw yourself in a new cosplay, did you ever think to yourself, \"Boy, do I look ridiculous?\"

We asked 100 American AND 100 international Hetalia fans: Do you feel that America\'s character is overexaggerated, or did the writers nail our country right on the head?

We\'re asking that last one right now on the survey form. You can also see our first YT episode for more (another coming soon). Gotta be creative, yes, but we\'ve done a good job so far, because it\'s quickly become our #2 game behind PYL. In the year and a half since we started surveying, we\'ve asked 72 surveys, and completed 43 of them. And we\'re taking fan-submitted questions on the site too. So to any of you who know a little something, come on by and fill in some things and make a few of your own.

Brian Sapinski