Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gambit cards  (Read 15901 times)

rstrata

Gambit cards
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I wanted to share with the group my Christmas present to myself.

(Can\'t get image to post, so here\'s a link.  Hope it works:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/551493_2788517249289_223485011_n.jpg  )

From the seller, located in the Netherlands, on how he acquired the deck:

\'I acquired the deck from a playing card collector, Norman Handelsman living in LA.  It was back in the early 1980’s, before ebay, internet trades etc. so most collecting were direct exchanges between collectors. As far as I remember, Norman H. stated, that deck was made for or used in a kind of performance, probably TV-show or similar and that only very few of them were made. He was quite good at finding unusual items, but died unfortunately in the late 1980 during a holiday stay in France, so he can’t add more info to the question.\"

Does anyone know if any other decks survived, or have any further information on Mr. Handelsman?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Gambit cards
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:27:39 PM »

That\'s pretty fantastic. Do you have the entire deck or just those four cards?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:17:48 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rstrata

Gambit cards
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:39:47 PM »
That\'s pretty fantastic. Do you have the entire desk or just those four cards?

It\'s the full deck of 52.  Some cards have small mystery stains on them (which I am scared to attempt to clean),

but for the most part the cards are in amazing condition for their age, with no folds or creases.  They\'re printed

on a very heavy cardboard, but aren\'t plastic-coated.

I can take more pictures later, if anybody would like.

joker316

Gambit cards
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:39:49 AM »

Yes I would LOVE to have a picture of the ace and jack (suits do not matter) I have two pictures of Wink and Elaine and would like to make a frame with a small replica of the ace & jack, like the Gambit board had. Nice to see that at least one deck survived. And Thanks in advance!!

Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

weaklink75

Gambit cards
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »

I know that one of the decks from the 1990 pilot was on ebay a couple of years back...but this is an amazing find.

JMFabiano

Gambit cards
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »

Yes, I\'d love to see more.  Now hopefully CS decks will show up somewhere, if they haven\'t already...

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:26:33 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

rstrata

Gambit cards
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »

Chief-O

Gambit cards
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »

Can\'t help but think how similar these are to the TPIR Hit Me cards. It seems logical to me that the CBS art department would hold onto the original artwork for these, and recycle it when Hit Me debuted [it looks like the queen is the same save for color; look carefully at http://www.golden-road.net/gg/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=460#top_display_media" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">this photo].

.....and it goes like this!!!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Gambit cards
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »
[it looks like the queen is the same save for color; look carefully at this photo].

Link fixed. But yeah, they\'re very similar -- it doesn\'t really surprise me that Price would recycle something like this, especially for a game based on Blackjack.

Logo recreation requested by joker316:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/72685_2795406901526_2068778245_n.jpg

I love that even when joker316 said \"suits do not matter\", you went ahead and used the exact cards. :)

Back and front:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/61755_2795407221534_1137800073_n.jpg

Yep, definitely a Gambit deck. :)

The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

JMFabiano

Gambit cards
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »

The pictures are amazing.  I haven\'t watched a Gambit in any incarnation for a while, I assume the face cards are not unlike the Card Sharks version in that they are the same drawing for each court member, with color variants for each suit? 

(Speaking of Card Sharks, I am still looking for a copy of a promo shot of Wink for Las Vegas Gambit, where he holds an Ace and a Jack...but they\'re clearly from the CS deck.  Adam used to have it on his Facebook, is it anywhere in digital form?)

And I too picked up on the Hit Me connection.  As a kid I just had faint memories of Las Vegas Gambit, but when I saw Hit Me on TPIR, I recognized the \"stick-body\" face cards.  Though, now having had a good look at some Gambit face cards, there\'s kind of an optical illusion there.  You can see it as the two heads of the character being connected by a thin \"body,\" or a shoulder-and-up shot of the character on each side that happens to touch one another. 

Adam Nedeff

Gambit cards
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »
(Speaking of Card Sharks, I am still looking for a copy of a promo shot of Wink for Las Vegas Gambit, where he holds an Ace and a Jack...but they\'re clearly from the CS deck.  Adam used to have it on his Facebook, is it anywhere in digital form?)

Check my FB again. It\'s still there.

joker316

Gambit cards
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

rstrata

Gambit cards
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
Sorry for the long wait between replies.

@Dan88: I aim to please.  ^_^

@joker316: You\'re welcome.  Feel free to crop out my living room carpet.  ^_^;

@Chief-O: After reviewing the available pictures and a couple of my old VHS tapes, I believe the TPIR Hit Me cards are indeed simply a line-art-only version of the Gambit face cards.  Unfortunately, given the staff turnover at Price since Hit Me was last played, I doubt we could get an official confirmation of that, much less the name of the original artist.

@JMFabiano: Actually, that\'s not quite correct: while the Gambit cards are indeed the exact same drawing for each court member, the Card Sharks cards followed the so-called \"standard\" pattern (one-eyed Spade and Heart Jacks, one-eyed Diamond King, and oversized Spade Ace).

As for Card Sharks, the only deck I\'ve seen is a promotional one that was on eBay a looooong time ago.  It had been acquired by someone who, when very young, had written in and asked for a deck of the giant cards used on the show; someone on the production staff took pity at their naivete and sent them a normal-sized deck.  I had been the high bidder on it until it was highlighted here on the forum as an \"eBay find of the week\"; I\'d like to think it was won by a fellow forum member who appreciates it as much as I would have.

JMFabiano

Gambit cards
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »
@JMFabiano: Actually, that\'s not quite correct: while the Gambit cards are indeed the exact same drawing for each court member, the Card Sharks cards followed the so-called \"standard\" pattern (one-eyed Spade and Heart Jacks, one-eyed Diamond King, and oversized Spade Ace).

As for Card Sharks, the only deck I\'ve seen is a promotional one that was on eBay a looooong time ago.  It had been acquired by someone who, when very young, had written in and asked for a deck of the giant cards used on the show; someone on the production staff took pity at their naivete and sent them a normal-sized deck.  I had been the high bidder on it until it was highlighted here on the forum as an \"eBay find of the week\"; I\'d like to think it was won by a fellow forum member who appreciates it as much as I would have.

True...though the faces and the bodies remained the same, with minor tweaks here and there. (only the one-eyed Jacks and the King of Diamonds had \"unique\" heads)

I actually had a deck of the promotional CS cards at one time.  I was disappointed to discover that they didn\'t use the same artwork, instead having a modified version of...I forget the company, but they had the artwork that featured crosses on the King and Queen of Hearts\' sashes, a yellowish-brown King of Spades, and more. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:22:51 PM by JMFabiano »

narzo

Gambit cards
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »

I actually have a number of cards from \"Card Sharks\" which just made the move with me to Austin TX, they\'re in a box I still haven\'t unpacked.  No face cards, just number cards.  They were on e-bay a number of years ago.