Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite win/loss cues  (Read 16984 times)

brianhenke

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
I was having a good laugh with friends about TPiR\'s infamous \"fail horn\", and it got me thinking, what\'s your favorite fail (or win) cues from over the years? For the record I\'m more of a fan of a variation of the main theme, as opposed to just playing a portion of the theme or the stinger...

WIN:

-Sale of the Century (Perry maingame)...I\'ve always loved the bombastic \"Duh...duh...DAHHHHHHH!!!\" fanfare, complete with someone banging the hell out of the tympani. It was the perfect ending to wrap up the game, esp. after a very tense Speed Round when Jim breathlessly yelled out the champion\'s name.

-Millionaire\'s million dollar win. Another dramatic one, and perfectly compliments the exuberant atmosphere with confetti falling and the audience going crazy. To me, a moment like that just wouldn\'t work with the main theme playing in the background.

-As cheesy as it was, Face the Music\'s special intro used for milestone or $10,000 wins actually worked...but it had a weird marching band sound to it (like a fight song or something).

-I always thought the Woolery/early Sajak era puzzle cue had a nice groove to it. The closing notes of \"Changing Keys\" was okay but no Thicke cue.

-Password Plus (maingame)

-Press Your Luck...the synthesized sound almost seemed like it was out of a video game, which kinda fits the video game-like technology of the show itself

LOSS:

-TPiR fail horns...it\'s seemed to become the ubiqitous symbol for failure, both on the show and in real life. I suppose you could include, by extension, the abbreviated fail horn found on other Goodson-Todman games.

-Millionaire...the first time I heard a clean version of this back in 2000, it sent shivers down my spine. Still prolly one of the most ominous clips I\'ve ever heard.

-Second Chance...I always get a kick out of the wank guitar when someone hit a devil.

-Gong Show...the two-horn note, NBC buzzer, then \"wah-wahhhh\" sound.

-American Blockbusters...both versions honestly.

I loved the Gong Show loss cue.

I thought that we would never hear the Millionaire million dollar loss cue on the show, but we heard it on Ken Basin in 2009.

Brian

Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Stevek83

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »
Win cue: The Price is Right dings

Loss cue: The Price is Right foghorn
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:38:36 PM by Stevek83 »

Brian44

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »
Not a win/lose cue, but I always enjoyed the Home Player Spin sounder on Press Your Luck.

On PYL, I always got a kick out of that PING when one contestant passed their spins to another. It sounded a lot like the \"No Smoking/Fasten Seat Belts\" chime on certain commercial aircraft at the time.

TimK2003

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »
As snappy as I considered the think music from The Cross-Wits to be, the \"time\'s up\" buzzer seemed overly harsh. (Technically, I guess that buzzer is not a losing cue because it sounded before the team gave their answer.)

I don\'t know exactly what they used for that buzzer, but our fire alarm in my dormitory back in the day sounded exactly like it.  Considering how often we heard that friggin alarm go off due to prank pulls and too much \'smoking\' in the rooms, I always wished the alarm would be as short as the Cross Wits buzzer.

Winkfan

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
As for losing cues, how about LMAD's zonk horns?

Right on! I especially like the ones from the mid-1980s version.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:45:47 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

SuperMatch93

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »

Win: the Whew! win klaxons.

Loss: the Blockbusters losing horns.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

JMFabiano

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »

WIN:

- Break the Bank \'76 theme playing when someone, um, breaks the bank.

- Tic-Tac-Dough win, both short and extended (for bonus game and car wins)

- Card Sharks \'86 match/Money Cards win.  On the other hand, I liked all the cues for CS \'78 (includes the ones I named for \'86, plus the shorter game win signal...that theme song made some great cues) 

- Hot Potato game win cue, and bonus/match win (same melody but different pitches) 

- A series of the CBS \"dings\" are always nice.  Also, the NBC \"chimes\" (not THOSE chimes, you hear them on CS and MG/HS, for example, when someone wins a game/match/bonus) 

- Password Plus match win, I wish we had a clean version of that (and the music that usually plays when they go to Alphabetics)

- Super Password match win 

LOSE:

- Dream House loss at the golden doors, though that is mostly because of the sing-along invented for it way back when, in the ATGS days.

- Doesn\'t signify a loss of the game/match/bonus, but the Password Plus/Super Password illegal clue alarm. 

- The Whammy horn too, and the cartoons of course.

- Ditto on the Villains\' \"TIME\'S UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!\"  (this isn\'t somehow included on the TVPMM disc, is it?) 

- Blockbusters \'87 Gold Run loss (also a sing-along moment: \"YOU\'RE-A-LO-SEERRRRRRRRRR!\", if I remember correct)

As for losing cues, how about LMAD\'s zonk horns?

Right on! I especially like the ones from the mid-1980s version.

This.  And as such, you\'ll love this: 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:45:10 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 11:08:10 PM »

Win: Both versions of the big win cue on $ale.

Lose: The fail horn and BB \'80\'s horn.

Unrealtor

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »

A couple favorite win cues that I don\'t think have been mentioned yet: The Scrabble Sprint win cue, and the endgame win cue from Tomarken\'s Wipeout.

"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Craig Karlberg

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 04:55:04 AM »

Some of my favorite win cues are as follows:

TTD\'7x-Both versions(especially the one where a player wins a car, it gets a double-loop).

LMaD\'84(the end theme of \'7x Split Second)-When someone wins big at the Door#4 wheel or when Monty Hall announces the value of the Big Deal.

$ale of the Century Lot win cue-There\'s no denying this was my favorite $otC cue.

WWTBAM M$ win cue-Great way to emphasize excitement & relief after answering the final question for all the marbles.

Scrabble-Not just the main game win cue, but when the Bonus Sprint was won, it was a treat to hear.

The Joker\'s Wild(CBS version)-I always wondered how they managed to use some silly clown-type music for a 5-time champion, but it was cool to hear it.

Now, the losses:

WWTBAM M$ Minor Chord of Doom- Truly the epitomy of failure.

Hollywod Squares\'86-Nothing\'s worse than hearing the sputtering car engine & the \"nana nana na-NA!\" effect. Also, in H^2, when a player failed to open the safe, a wonky \"wha-wha-wha-WHA!\"was used.

Blockbusters\'80-Hearing those horns certainly takes the sting out of hearing that time\'s up buzzer.

Remote Control Game Over siren-You know you\'re in a basement & not an underground bunker when someone has to go.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 07:56:16 AM »
Not exactly a win cue, but I always have enjoyed the cut of music Sale played when someone went to play the Winners Big Money Game.  It gave the essence that the contestant was going to do something special.

I\'m also a fan of the win cue on Legends of the Hidden Temple.  The up-tempo nature of the cue did a nice job separating an otherwise \"dark\" show.

As far as loss cues go, my favorite is the one used in Classic Concentration\'s bonus round and the variant used on NYSI 89.  I thought it did an excellent job of driving a loss home.

One thing I was not a fan of was the \"glass shattering \" loss cue on TNPIR \'94 (sounded very faint and didn\'t convey a loss well).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:05:08 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JMFabiano

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
Not exactly a win cue, but I always have enjoyed the cut of music Sale played when someone went to play the Winners Big Money Game. It gave the essence that the contestant was going to do something special.

Yes, that and the cut when they opened the shopping area. The Reg Grundy shows had some great orchestral-type music. 

As I said above, using the part of the CS78 theme with the horns when someone went to the Money Cards was another good one, it made the round seem like an even bigger deal, with a sense of urgency.  The trip to Bonus Island on Bullseye had the same effect. 

I also mentioned the Alphabetics music. 

Joker\'s Wild eventually got some good cues for contestants to went to face the devil...the Bullseye music and the one used in the last Barry season(s) and the first Cullen. 

The strings piece that played when a new team of challengers would be revealed on Collyer TTTT.  And of course \"Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-baaaaaaaaaaaaa!\" from the Moore/etc. version. 

Simple but effective one (with the lights dimming): the drum roll setting up the bonus round in \'80s WOF? 

Back to win/loss cues, someone mentioned the losing SFX for HS86\'s bonus game (also heard on Just Men!)...the game win cue was also very good too.  Compare the actual show and its style to the Marshall version if you must, but you can\'t deny that Davidson\'s had some GREAT music.  Not to say hearing the snippet from the Marshall theme(s) to signify a win there was a slouch in that department. 

I also liked Classic Concentration\'s game win cue (I think they used it for game and match alike). 

I mentioned hearing the BTB76 theme when someone got the three money bags.  Hearing the Match Game theme when someone wins the head-to-head also had a great effect, and one more party-like to go with, well, the whole show. 

I liked both of Hit Man\'s front game wins...had that \'80s video game vibe to it that the show was going for.  Can I count the board setting \"music\" for the Triple Crown here too? 

I\'ll agree (X gets the square) with the sample of Big Wheels signifying a puzzle solve on NBC WOF.  Not to discredit the last three notes of Changing Keys (the ORIGINAL recording only!), though. 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:57:49 PM by JMFabiano »

Kevin Prather

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »

The Million Win and Million Loss cues from Millionaire have been mentioned ad nauseum so far, but I\'ll give a nod to ALL the win and loss cues from that show. The way they pitch up the farther along in the game you are was a really clever idea.

One that hasn\'t been mentioned might be the ONLY good cue from US DoND: The million win cue. I\'m still trying to find a cut of that in the clear.

BrandonFG

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »
One that hasn\'t been mentioned might be the ONLY good cue from US DoND: The million win cue. I\'m still trying to find a cut of that in the clear.

I agree, although I\'d say the music package wasn\'t half bad...a little repetitive but catchy. Anyways, yes, that\'s a great cue.

As much as I couldn\'t stand the NBC version, I will say that the celebration, with the music and everyone going nuts was awesome...it was one of the few moments from that show that seemed natural instead of manufactured. I always thought the models running to congratulate the winner was a nice touch, kinda how the British contestants mob the winner there.

The show itself and the lead-up to the big win still sucked*.

*Esp. the outro to commercial...\"Will Tomorrow win the million dollars? Find out in __ minutes!\" As if they\'d go through all that and she doesn\'t win. :-P

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:53:56 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

Favorite win/loss cues
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 06:59:30 PM »

How could I have forgotten the edit of Dig We Must that plays when someone spins a dollar?!!?