Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should 'Feud' raise jackpot?  (Read 616444 times)

LetsGoYankees

Should 'Feud' raise jackpot?
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:56:42 PM »
With the success of Family Feud lately, should the show raise their $20,000 Fast Money prize, which has been in place since Louie Anderson?

Pros: Gain viewership, gain interest, progressive jackpot (+$5,000 a day)

Cons: Can they afford more than 20K? Does the top prize matter or is it all [the ratings] on Steve?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:29:53 PM by LetsGoYankees »
gameshownetworknews.blogspot.com
gameshownetworknews@gmail.com

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »
With the success of Family Feud lately, should the show raise there $20,000 Fast Money prize, which has been in place since Louie Anderson?

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1671/notthisshitagainep0.jpg

Pros: Gain viewership, gain interest, progressive jackpot (+$5,000 a day)

1) No it wouldn\'t, 2) No it wouldn\'t, 3) Not naming a pro. \"The good thing about eating carrots is you\'re eating carrots\".

Cons: Can they afford more than 20K? Does the top prize matter or is it all [the ratings] on Steve?

That one.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:55:18 PM by Kevin Prather »

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »

No, and if you include the Bullseye season(s?), they did offer up to $30,000. Contrary to popular belief, Mo\' Money only does but so much for the ratings. Upping the jackpot to $25,000+ is not going to do much.

That being said, the jackpot is fine where it is. $20,000 is still a decent chunk of money, even split.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:56:14 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 11:06:05 PM »

bandit_bobby, is that you?

-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 11:09:13 PM »
I really can\'t get too excited over a family winning $20k, or feel that bad over losing $20k. The problem with my two favoritest ideas is that they\'d either require your audience to pay attention and remember how many top answers the lead-off batter got, or that the production company has to run shows in order (A building Super Jeopardy/Winner\'s Money Game jackpot that increases as long as you keep the championship.)

Wrong \"their\", original poster.
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:38:01 PM »

Since there are returning champions, they generally already run the shows in order.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Jumpondees

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:31 PM »

I had always liked the idea of what they did in Australia on Bert\'s Family Feud a few years back where the Fast Money jackpot was determined by the amount of number one answers the first player gets in their half of Fast Money.  I wouldn\'t do it here for 100k like they did down under, but if I were looking to mix things up a bit, I would dump the car for five wins bit and make the top prize in Fast Money $50,000 (Base of $25k, with $5k being added for each #1 answer given by the first player) and start pushing the \"families could take home up to $250,000\" angle.  

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 02:05:33 AM »
and start pushing the \"families could take home up to $250,000\" angle.  

My thing is this, though: 200 points in Fast Money would never deserve a quarter of a million dollars, or anywhere near that. The excitement comes from the family inching closer and closer to 200, not the amount of money they\'re playing for.

Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

DrBear

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 02:46:18 AM »

I just wish they\'d drag Fast Money into, say, the 1990s by increasing the consolation prize from $5 to $10 a point.

This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 02:59:19 AM »
and start pushing the \"families could take home up to $250,000\" angle.  

My thing is this, though: 200 points in Fast Money would never deserve a quarter of a million dollars, or anywhere near that. The excitement comes from the family inching closer and closer to 200, not the amount of money they\'re playing for.

The quarter million, at least in that example, would require winning Fast Money five times. Still too much money, but not as bad as you suggest.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 03:05:06 AM »
I had always liked the idea of what they did in Australia on Bert\'s Family Feud a few years back where the Fast Money jackpot was determined by the amount of number one answers the first player gets in their half of Fast Money.  I wouldn\'t do it here for 100k like they did down under, but if I were looking to mix things up a bit, I would dump the car for five wins bit and make the top prize in Fast Money $50,000 (Base of $25k, with $5k being added for each #1 answer given by the first player) and start pushing the \"families could take home up to $250,000\" angle.  

Have you ever heard of a game show called Winning Streak, which also advertised a six figure prize that would be damn near impossible to win considering the circumstances, much like your idea is doing here? 

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 03:37:45 AM »
Have you ever heard of a game show called Winning Streak, which also advertised a six figure prize that would be damn near impossible to win considering the circumstances, much like your idea is doing here? 

Or indeed another game called The Weakest Link, whose host touted a potential seven-figure prize that no group of contesti even got 20% of the way to?

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:37:22 AM »
I just wish they'd drag Fast Money into, say, the 1990s by increasing the consolation prize from $5 to $10 a point.
This, this, a million times this (and for the record, inflation says it should've been $10/point when Combs became host in 1988). It just looks cheap since Wheel, Jeopardy!, and Millionaire at least have a minimum of $1,000 to alleviate travel expenses. On Feud...there's no actual minimum.

I also wish they'd use dollars in the front game. Barring that, give losing families $1,000 as consolation, again to alleviate travel costs.

Compared to the individual maximum of quadruple said amount (which was like trying to eat the Sun) and the maximum possible Final Showdown for close to One Million Damn Dollars (you were more likely to win a three-on-one fight against Matt Ottinger, Chuck Norris, and Segata Sanshiro without suffering any injury whatsoever), getting $100,000 was easy.

Good thing Bob Stewart used cheap dictionaries.

[EDIT 5/16/15: Fixed broken formatting.]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 02:32:08 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 06:43:16 AM »
I wouldn\'t up the $20k, as it\'s already budgeted to only be won once or twice a week as is- upping the jackpot means you\'re going to see a lot of #1 answers in the 20s. But I would ditch the car and give the family that wins the fifth day a flat $20k.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Fedya

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »
I\'d up it to $20011, just because that\'s a prime number of dollars.

If you want a prime number of cents, try $20000.03.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post