Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Revives Minute To Win It  (Read 16216 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN Revives Minute To Win It
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 12:30:40 AM »
Notwithstanding that I\'ve never heard of MundoFox, that is the least climactic \"money tree\" I\'ve ever seen. Would it be so terrible to bring out your pair, pay them each time they play a game and then have them take on a big final-segment jackpot game to multiply their winnings?
Travis L. Eberle

tvwxman

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 10:57:26 AM »
This new Minute to Win It is probably a safety net if American Bible Challenge falls and they decide to end Newlywed Game after 6 seasons.

No its not. They are programming 24 hours a day, and they will program it with the intention of having 24 hours of successful, well -rated shows.

PLEASE stop talking out of your rectum.

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BillCullen1

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »

This can\'t be any worse than anything else they\'ve done recently. With 40 eps, I guess they\'re going with this on a daily basis. Their top rated Bible Challenge show gives away $100K so I wouldn\'t expect this show to give away more than that.

J.R.

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »
as insane as it sounds.

Trust me, nobody is surprised by your uh... \"bold\" statements.

-Joe Raygor

The Pyramids

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »
Doubt it. You\'re probably looking at $50-100K at most. And that\'s perfectly okay.

/Still would much rather have a second season of The Pyramid

//Syndication anyone?

Give it to me with a different host and we got a deal.

(I don\'t understand what the whole big to do about Mike Richards was, as I previously stated...I found him rather lacking in a few areas, especially where \"not being robotic\" was concerned. The only thing that separated him from Ty Treadway is that I believe Ty Treadway actually IS a robot.)

After seeing shows early Chad M. stated that if the new series fails it won\'t be because of Mike Richards. I would have said the same thing after seeing just one show. After seeing most of the 40 shows I think that is not the case. Richards was as bold about going off of the script as Richard Karn and it added to a perceived blandness to the series. 

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »
After seeing shows early Chad M. stated that if the new series fails it won\'t be because of Mike Richards. I would have said the same thing after seeing just one show. After seeing most of the 40 shows I think that is not the case. Richards was as bold about going off of the script as Richard Karn and it added to a perceived blandness to the series. 

I think a lot of this knock is in part because of the introduction at the top of the show being pretty much the same thing repeated every day.

To which I say: get used to it.

In this day and age of shows rarely running in taping order and in banging out 13-week series in a couple of weeks of marathon taping (and, again, you don\'t have to like it, but it\'s a reality of the business so you\'re gonna just have to learn to live with it), the producer is going to want a fairly homogenous presentation from their host, and the host doesn\'t have the opportunity to settle into a routine and switch up things very much.

I strongly suspect that Richards did the exact job asked of him by Michael Davies, which he of all people knows is precisely his job description. I know it\'s fashionable for many here to hate on Richards because OMG HE RUINED THE ONLY HOUR OF MY LIFE WORTH LIVING, but the ire\'s misplaced. Don\'t hate on Richards, hate on Davies for setting up a suboptimal situation for him to succeed in.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

So I guess Patrick Wayne did his job then too? Blake Emmons? The aforementioned Ty Treadway?

His performance on The Pyramid proved that Mike Richards is a much better producer than he is a host. And hell, I\'m one of the people who thinks he\'s doing a much better job producing TPIR than his predecessors, who you could tell were phoning it in in later years.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »
So I guess Patrick Wayne did his job then too? Blake Emmons? The aforementioned Ty Treadway?

Seeing as taping schedules and show development were a lot different 22 and 26 years ago, respectively, I\'m gonna call apples and oranges on your first two examples.

Treadway? Possibly. He didn\'t exactly have the strongest format to prop up, either.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »

Seeing as taping schedules and show development were a lot different 22 and 26 years ago, respectively, I\'m gonna call apples and oranges on your first two examples.

But still, you\'re giving Mike Richards a pass because of what you perceive to be a suboptimal situation (mileage of course varying). Even if you consider taping schedules and show development being different, you still can\'t take away that a host can just suck at what he does. And I think Patrick Wayne, at least, was in a rather non-optimal situation, wouldn\'t you say? (show coming in at a time when game shows were not as popular, prime slots taken by other programming, usual banishment to late night, etc.) And considering Emmons was replaced by a host that was far and away better (well, at least in this case)...

Treadway I think was just one of many problems with Crosswords. The format wasn\'t that great (at least where the structuring was concerned), but it wouldn\'t have been as hard to watch later on if it had a capable host. There\'s a reason why I said I believe Treadway was a robot, don\'t forget.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 09:26:25 PM »
But still, you\'re giving Mike Richards a pass because of what you perceive to be a suboptimal situation (mileage of course varying).

Not so much. I\'m saying it\'s entirely possible that there could have been outside forces at work.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2013, 09:05:04 AM »

If you ever saw Patrick Wayne host the pre-TTD \"Monte Carlo Show,\" you know that the bombastic persona he adopted for TTD was totally different.  I blame Dan Enright, but who do the folks at home blame?   

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »

FTFA:

“MINUTE TO WIN IT is a buzzy, addictive and social media-friendly show and we are excited to be producing 40 new hour-long episodes,” said Amy Introcaso-Davis, GSN Executive Vice President, Programming.

\"Social media-friendly?\" Really? What the hell does that even MEAN?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 04:58:30 PM »
It means you\'ll be seeing hashtag prompts and links to the show\'s Facespace page.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »
FTFA:

“MINUTE TO WIN IT is a buzzy, addictive and social media-friendly show and we are excited to be producing 40 new hour-long episodes,” said Amy Introcaso-Davis, GSN Executive Vice President, Programming.

\"Social media-friendly?\" Really? What the hell does that even MEAN?

Sounds like it\'s a word created by the same people who gave us \"shiny floor shows\".

Seriously, I\'m guessing it\'s another way of saying it\'ll get all the cool kids talking on The Twitters and/or The Facebooks, because that\'s clearly what cool kids do during game shows*. I completely expect a #MTWI hashtag, so people can offer live commentary. I saw something like this on my break during What Not to Wear**, and it\'s about the goofiest damn thing I\'ve ever seen. It works during Super Bowl or awards shows...game shows, not as much.

ZOMFG! SuperCoin for $100,000...I hope they make it! #MTWI

*Okay, to an extent...I\'ve made the occasional joke during TPiR or Jeopardy

**/It was on when I got there

//Honest!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:01:13 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
Seriously, I\'m guessing it\'s another way of saying it\'ll get all the cool kids talking on The Twitters and/or The Facebooks, because that\'s clearly what cool kids do during game shows*. I completely expect a #MTWI hashtag, so people can offer live commentary.

Okay. but my point is, they can do that for ANY programming; they could throw up a hashtag for a goddamn infomercial if they liked. MtWI is not special or notable in that regard. At all.