Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?  (Read 22194 times)

MTCesquire

Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2013, 07:03:24 AM »
I say give the man a chance. And let\'s be honest: if it was someone like Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, many more of you would be all for it, me thinks.

1) Would you welcome in a dog that wasn\'t housetrained?

2) I wouldn\'t like that at all. Neither Stewart or Colbert is well-suited to a game show.

1) Except Cedric is.  A six-week summer run on a crappy NBC game show is hardly the most ideal training ground for a host to take over an established format.  But then again neither was \"Power of 10\"...

2) I could definitely see Jon Stewart absolutely killing it.  He\'s an intelligent guy and funny as hell to boot.  He knows how to toe the line of comedy and seriousness very well.  Should \"The Daily Show\" suddenly fail and Stewart finds himself in need of employment, 2WayTraffic could do much, much worse than Stewart.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
Yes, they could. Cedric is that.

By your definition Patrick Wayne is qualified.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TimK2003

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »

Simple math:

+ All guest hosts on Millionaire over the years

- All guest hosts who only hosted one week\'s worth of shows

= Celebrities that were good enough hosting the show AND were brought back because audiences didn\'t turn them off nor complained that the hosts stayed too far from the show\'s formatics.

There\'s your pool of qualified likeable hosts, giving the show the best chance that both the game & host will mesh together and with the viewers in the years to come.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:57:58 AM by TimK2003 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »

And let\'s be honest: if it was someone like Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, many more of you would be all for it, me thinks.

I\'m not sure if I like the tone of that. Something about it isn\'t right.

It\'s a little race-cardey. I was pondering it on the way into work today, and at first I was going to say \"but I\'m not sure it\'s entirely unjustified,\" but the more I think about it, no, it\'s a little race-cardey. The accusation that the material for the show is going to turn into a bunch of dick and fart jokes just because of the host is silly, but at the same time I don\'t think I\'ve seen anyone make it.

What I *do* think is that some people think that Cedric is going to host the show in his somewhat-ribald \"black comedian\" style, which *does* sound racist...until you take a good hard look at Cedric and admit that that is in fact the trade he\'s been plying for his entire career. And it has nothing to do with the color of his skin; that is simply the style of comedy he does. Ralphie May does the same style and he\'s one of about four people on the planet who is whiter than I am.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »

1) Except Cedric is.  A six-week summer run on a crappy NBC game show is hardly the most ideal training ground for a host to take over an established format.  But then again neither was \"Power of 10\"...

Wait, are you refuting your own point? Because you\'re right: Power of 10 didn\'t get Droo ready for diddly.

2) I could definitely see Jon Stewart absolutely killing it.  He\'s an intelligent guy and funny as hell to boot.  He knows how to toe the line of comedy and seriousness very well.  Should \"The Daily Show\" suddenly fail and Stewart finds himself in need of employment, 2WayTraffic could do much, much worse than Stewart.

Agreed, as long as he keeps the mugging to a minimum.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »
Simple math:

+ All guest hosts on Millionaire over the years
- All guest hosts who only hosted one week's worth of shows

There's your pool of qualified likeable hosts, giving the show the best chance that both the game & host will mesh together and with the viewers in the years to come.
Unless I missed something over the years, the solution to that math problem is 0. Or was that your point?

[EDIT 4/24/17: Fixed mangled formatting.]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:08:43 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

tyshaun1

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »

And let\'s be honest: if it was someone like Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, many more of you would be all for it, me thinks.

I\'m not sure if I like the tone of that. Something about it isn\'t right.

It\'s a little race-cardey. I was pondering it on the way into work today, and at first I was going to say \"but I\'m not sure it\'s entirely unjustified,\" but the more I think about it, no, it\'s a little race-cardey. The accusation that the material for the show is going to turn into a bunch of dick and fart jokes just because of the host is silly, but at the same time I don\'t think I\'ve seen anyone make it.

Reading some of the earlier posts in this thread rubbed me the wrong way. It basically implied that because Cedric was rumored to be the new host, that they were going to turn the show into comedy-fest that mimics Feud and that the only reason Cedric would get it is because of Steve Harvey. Yeah I threw the race card angle, and for that I apologize if it upset anyone. I am not even a huge Cedric fan by any means, but based on what I\'ve seen of his actual persona, I could see him doing a decent job at hosting the show if he keeps a balance between game play and humor. 

Tyshaun

MTCesquire

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2013, 02:23:23 AM »

Wait, are you refuting your own point? Because you\'re right: Power of 10 didn\'t get Droo ready for diddly.

It really didn\'t, and I\'m not saying Drew is a spectacular host by any means.  For better or worse, Mike Richards and co. has basically had to build the presentation around Drew\'s lack of hosting skills (George Gray, talking models, a new male model, flashier set, better prizes, etc.) and they will have successfully continued the show going into its seventh year post-Bob.  Whether or not that would\'ve happened with a lesser-known like Mr. Newton or any of the other try-outs is up for debate, but let\'s not act like attaching Drew to the show didn\'t play a role in that in some way.

I think Cedric has a great personality offstage and on (\"on\" is where Drew fails IMO), so the fact that \"It\'s Worth What?\" was gone in six weeks doesn\'t bother me.  I consider that his trial run, if you will.  Contestant interaction plays a huge factor in being a great host and being a good conversationalist is a part of that.  Cedric has that.  The fact that he\'s a comedian should actually be a positive.  \"Millionaire\" is a pretty rigid format.  Injecting a little (read: LITTLE) humor into the contestant interviews and, when appropriate, during a question would actually breathe a little life into the show and I think, more so than trying to copy \"Feud\", that\'s what the producers are going for with this move.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:26:21 AM by MTCesquire »

dale_grass

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »

For better or worse, Mike Richards and co. has basically had to build the presentation around Drew\'s lack of hosting skills (George Gray, talking models, a new male model, flashier set, better prizes, etc.) and they will have successfully continued the show going into its seventh year post-Bob.

I like this explanation a lot.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2013, 01:16:11 PM »
and for that I apologize if it upset anyone.
I\'ll have more to say when I get home tonight:

\"I\'m sorry but\" or \"I\'m sorry if\" is not an apology, it\'s weasel words.
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2013, 10:22:52 PM »
and for that I apologize if it upset anyone.

I\'ll have more to say when I get home tonight:

\"I\'m sorry but\" or \"I\'m sorry if\" is not an apology, it\'s weasel words.

You shall speak for me with that \"more to say\", I\'m sure.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2013, 10:34:06 PM »
You shall speak for me with that \"more to say\", I\'m sure.
I try to not do that, but if we have the same opinion that\'s fine with me. I\'m not judging Cedric the Haberdasher by his skin color, I\'m judging him based on how he hosted a nothing-burger game show on NBC and what I know of the fashion in which he tells jokes. To say that \"if it was Stewart or Colbert there wouldn\'t be an issue\" is so beyond the pale that it is laughable, and the implication within is downright insulting and shameful.

Right now we\'ve got Schrodinger\'s Millionaire. We have a new host; maybe he\'ll do great and the show will get a needed shot in the arm. Maybe it won\'t, and Cedric be judged along side the clock years and Phone-a-Friend. We won\'t know until we get there. That said even though we haven\'t seen the show yet we still get to discuss what we think the show will be like or turn into, and to say that if the host was a prompter-reader or buffoonish caricature on Comedy Central that we\'d be for it is a totally illogical leap.

But ethnicity doesn\'t enter into it. At all.
Travis L. Eberle