Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?  (Read 21968 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 03:27:34 PM »

Well, he DID play a successful lead role...in a Bud Light ad or two...

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Waiter_On_The_Run

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:57 AM »
I\'m asking because I really don\'t know. Has Cedric done anything successful in TV in a lead role?

No, his only really notable TV roles that come close to fitting your criteria are (this will utterly shock you) the second banana on The Steve Harvey Show and a year with his own sketch comedy show on Fox.

Yes, he has. Don\'t know what your definition of successful or notable is, but he is currently starring in the original TV Land sitcom \"The Soul Man\", which will be starting it\'s second season in June. http://www.tvland.com/shows/the-soul-man

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 03:37:12 AM »

Two seasons does not a success equal. AfterMASH says \"sup\".

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MTCesquire

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 05:55:32 AM »
Two seasons does not a success equal. AfterMASH says \"sup\".

\"Chappelle\'s Show\" would like to have a word with you.

tvwxman

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »

Isn\'t he one of the \"Kings of Comedy\" - that had a successful tour over the years?

Look, he\'s a comic. He\'s appealing to some demographics. He\'s got a decent Q score. This is why he\'s being considered for a plum daytime role.

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »
Isn\'t he one of the \"Kings of Comedy\" - that had a successful tour over the years?

Yes. Had a damn funny act too.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »

Yes. Had a damn funny act too.

He was very funny in the bit part he had in the Coen Brothers\' \"Intolerable Cruelty\". Love me some Gus! #imgonnanailyourass

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »
And apparently now, it\'s official:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/cedric-the-entertainer-to-succeed-meredith-vieira-as-host-of-syndicated-%E2%80%98who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire%E2%80%99-series/

Where in that article does it say ANYTHING official?

Don\'t get me wrong, it may well be, but there isn\'t a shred of actual definitive proof to be found there.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:49:50 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
Which HAS happened to other programs, see: Engvall + Lingo, and Harvey + Feud (though I excuse the latter, as Feud has always been a party show, and always had comedians at the helm) 

Except that the Engvall version of Lingo had much bigger problems than turning it into a comedy game, and Harvey has been doing the exact opposite of turning people away, the show hasn\'t been this popular in years.

It\'s hard to generalize (though you seem to have no problem doing so), but I can\'t imagine fans of Millionaire being turned off of the show just because the new host happens to have stand-up comedy as one of his skills.  \"Stigma\"?  Please.

Well, I DID say Feud was a different case.  (And I don\'t agree with everything they do now, but I can\'t deny the success)  But...so far I\'m not a fan because this seems so obviously just a copycat move because of Feud.  And (on the surface, I admit) on the surface,  Cedric:Millionaire :: apples:oranges.  I may be wrong, we shall see.  But there is a small precedent there of \"trying to bring more comedy\" to a show because a comedian hosts it.  It works for TPIR (Drewcases aside), LMAD, and Feud, but I\'m still not sold on it working for Millionaire. Either the comedian gets more serious, or the show gets more comedic.  Again, we shall see. 

And it just felt like Engvall hosting Lingo was an opening of the floodgates for some of the other stuff. 

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:59:22 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »
Because all new game show hosts must be former comedians now...as others said, Feud is a different case. And it works for \"party\" games like the CBS Daytime Two.  This?  Not so much.  Plus I am not a big fan of the trend of comedians/out-of-work \'90s sitcom stars being tapped as game show hosts.  I guess there\'s not so much of a demand for dedicated GS hosts now, though. 

To some extent, you can swap out the \"game show\" genre for \"animation\" now as well.  Look at all the major animated TV shows and movies that come out, and how nearly every significant spoken part is done by a famous celebrity, comedian, or A-/B-list star.   There are still a few prominent go-to \"voice actors\" that are not household names,  but it\'s not in the proportions like it was 20-30+ years ago.

This.  To use your example, an a-lister can be a voice actor, often, a damn good one.  But it\'s still a shame that they are pushing away people to whom VAing was their first and foremost craft. 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »

According to the writer:

Following some chatter during NATPE last week, I have learned that Cedric The Entertainer has closed a three-year deal to replace Meredith Vieira as host the syndicated version of quiz show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

Never heard of Nellie Andreeva, but take that however you will.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
Quote from: mon79\\\" post=\\\"304 link=topic=24433.msg265\\\" timestamp=\\\"1360260#msg265\\\" timestamp=\\\"1360260 date=0262739\\\"
[quote name=\\\"aaron s]And apparently now, it\'s official:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/cedric-the-entertainer-to-succeed-meredith-vieira-as-host-of-syndicated-%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%98who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99-series/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/cedric-the-entertainer-to-succeed-meredith-vieira-as-host-of-syndicated-âwho-wants-to-be-a-millionaireâ-series/

Where in that article does it say ANYTHING official?

Don\'t get me wrong, it may well be, but there isn\'t a shred of actual definitive proof to be found there.[/quote]
VIBE and Deadspin are now reporting it.

Y\'know how broadway actors always complain when a big star comes in to \"take\" their parts for limited runs? I felt a little of that when this news broke. Not saying Cedric won\'t do a good job, but I figured they had a little more time to find someone than this. Unless they\'ve known this was going to happen for some time and had already devised a depth chart, this seems rushed,
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
According to the writer:

...who then proceeds to cite \"chatter\" as her source.

Seriously, this isn\'t a difficult concept.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe