Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?  (Read 22202 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Cedric The Entertainer: New WWTBAM Host?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 01:49:40 PM »
Because Meredith (two Es, one I) Vieira was totally a \"dedicated game show host\".
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »

Just replace \"dedicated game show host\" with \"dedicated broadcaster/journalist\", considering so many hosts started there. It is interesting how so many became career hosts later in life (i.e. Wink or Chuck Woolery). James does raise a good point in that it seems that for standup comics, game show is the new 90s sitcom. And like sitcoms of that era, some have done quite well (Howie, Jeff F.), others haven\'t taken off yet (Cedric with \"It\'s Worth What?\", Kevin Pollak).

For a tough trivia game, I gotta admit, I do feel someone with a background similar to Meredith\'s works better. But I\'m always willing to give a newcomer benefit of the doubt. I\'ve been pleasantly surprised before.

*Must devise a concept that allows for two hosts...that way I can get The Two Matts from here to co-host, a la Ant and Dec

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:01:35 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
And just because I\'m still here: James, would you please stop trying to create or add to a \"GSF argot.\" Things like \"CBS Daytime Two\" impede understanding and make you out to be a toolbag.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »

Comedian or not, they shouldn\'t try to ham it up a la Richard Karn.

JMFabiano

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »

How silly of me, me trying to create those pesky argots.  I should do something more constructive, civil, and socially acceptable, like work on smarmy replies to other people\'s posts. 

Anyway, about Meredith: well yeah, she\'s someone who wound up fitting in the role. I never undermined her as a \"real\" game show host.  What I mean is, it just seems nowadays there\'s not a talent pool for people who became, or wanted to become, known as game show hosts first.  Not surprising, since the genre is not as \"big\" as it was in the \'70s and \'80s.  Back then, you knew you could go to a place where you\'d usually have people like Bill, Tom, Bob, Wink, etc. to rely on.  Now, people go outside into other entertainment forms first.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much, as I\'m sure it has all along.  And I KNOW it\'s been done even in the \"glory days,\" heck, everyone has to come from somewhere.  But it just seems more noticeable now.  And it seems that they ALWAYS go for the comedians and/or big names now. 

If Mr. Entertainer (if that IS his real name ;-)) ends up on Millionaire, he might do a good job.  Who knows?  But at the least he\'ll have the stigma of his comedic persona, and that might turn viewers off thinking the show is going to become a clown show.  Which HAS happened to other programs, see: Engvall + Lingo, and Harvey + Feud (though I excuse the latter, as Feud has always been a party show, and always had comedians at the helm) 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
How silly of me, me trying to create those pesky argots.  I should do something more constructive, civil, and socially acceptable, like work on smarmy replies to other people\'s posts.

You know, I\'d have the slightest empathy for your plight if you hadn\'t been trying to do the exact same thing for years now and been told it\'s annoying every single time. This isn\'t Variety, it doesn\'t make you look like an insider, it makes you look pathetic.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 07:01:32 PM »
Which HAS happened to other programs, see: Engvall + Lingo, and Harvey + Feud (though I excuse the latter, as Feud has always been a party show, and always had comedians at the helm) 

Except that the Engvall version of Lingo had much bigger problems than turning it into a comedy game, and Harvey has been doing the exact opposite of turning people away, the show hasn\'t been this popular in years.

It\'s hard to generalize (though you seem to have no problem doing so), but I can\'t imagine fans of Millionaire being turned off of the show just because the new host happens to have stand-up comedy as one of his skills.  \"Stigma\"?  Please.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »
I\'d like to see the show go back to the original format. Cedric as host will get better demos and more clearances than the show is currently getting. Expand the show to an hour and there will be enough time for Cedric to do his thing and get a couple of games in.

Said no one, ever.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 09:51:55 PM »

Let\'s look at it this way. If Cedric becomes host, he and Steve can have a Steve Harvey Show (the sitcom) reunion in daytime!

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 09:56:40 PM »
If the reunion doesn\'t include the guy who played Bullethead I\'m out.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

colonial

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »

Article from the NY Post suggesting from an \"unnamed source\" that WWTBAM was looking for a \"Steve Harvey type\" all along, and that Cedric, if he takes the job, won\'t be making Meredith money...

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/million_bargain_tKfv6K6H4joo9eqvCndcMO

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
and that Cedric, if he takes the job, won\'t be making Meredith money...

I\'m shocked, I tell you. Shocked. Look at how shocked I am --->   :|

cmjb13

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »

I\'m asking because I really don\'t know. Has Cedric done anything successful in TV in a lead role?

Even with a drop in ratings (I can\'t see him increasing them. Though I see why they think they can replicate Feud\'s ratings, by getting a black comedian. The novelty of Feud\'s success will burn out at some point, due to the risque nature no longer being fresh), the show will still be ahead several million dollars.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:05:24 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

TimK2003

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »
Because all new game show hosts must be former comedians now...as others said, Feud is a different case. And it works for \"party\" games like the CBS Daytime Two.  This?  Not so much.  Plus I am not a big fan of the trend of comedians/out-of-work \'90s sitcom stars being tapped as game show hosts.  I guess there\'s not so much of a demand for dedicated GS hosts now, though. 

To some extent, you can swap out the \"game show\" genre for \"animation\" now as well.  Look at all the major animated TV shows and movies that come out, and how nearly every significant spoken part is done by a famous celebrity, comedian, or A-/B-list star.   There are still a few prominent go-to \"voice actors\" that are not household names,  but it\'s not in the proportions like it was 20-30+ years ago.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:17:13 PM by TimK2003 »

clemon79

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2013, 03:08:01 PM »
I\'m asking because I really don\'t know. Has Cedric done anything successful in TV in a lead role?

No, his only really notable TV roles that come close to fitting your criteria are (this will utterly shock you) the second banana on The Steve Harvey Show and a year with his own sketch comedy show on Fox.