Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Terrors  (Read 31064 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Terrors
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »

What GS-related things have terrified you, made you cry, hide behind the La-Z-Boy, or have otherwise caused you to lose your composure, either as a youngster or a not-so-youngster? The Penny Ante or Big Wheel sound effects? The slide whistle theme to Concentration? Smashing your iThing over Losing Horns after Range Game and posting the video on YouTube? Come on, spill. I know you\'re out there.

Me? Nothing game-show related, but when Nikita Khrushchev proclaimed \"We will bury you\" I thought he was literally going to travel down our street and place every American in a grave (Khrushchev visited San Francisco, not far from our home, in 1959).

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:10:17 PM by chris319 »

Kevin Prather

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
The Minor Chord of Doom from WWTBAM made me cringe the first time I heard it.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Show Terrors
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
This happened when I was about six. An episode of The Joker\'s Wild (Finn) had a game show category that mentioned \"Dead or Alive\", with the answer being \"Remote Control\" (no one got it right). I then immediately thought once a contestant was sent through the wall they didn\'t get to leave the studio.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:26:31 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chief-O

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »

The Penny Ante sound, yes. Also--

-The \"Scrabble\"/SOTC win sirens [if these turn up clean, let me know and you\'ll be my new best friend]

-The \"Classic Concentration\" losing horn

-The time up buzzer from \"Talkabout\"

.....and it goes like this!!!

Brig Bother

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »

Cliffhanger on The Price is Right was absolutely terrifying to the five year old me.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:51:52 PM by Brig Bother »

SuperMatch93

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »

I was scared of the WoF Jackpot fireworks when I was little.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

J.R.

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »

When I was a child, Martindale\'s TTD Dragon absolutely terrified me.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:30:02 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

gameboy2000

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »

For me, it was the dragon roar on TTD.

gameboy2000.weebly.com

Jeremy Nelson

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 07:53:46 PM »
The Reg Grundy logo and sting was a definite. The original Wheel of Fortune buzzer was a close second.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 07:57:50 PM »

The Tic Tac Dough theme song gave me the heebie-jeebies as a kid, prolly because of the squiggly Moog sound. When it aired on USA, I avoided the show because of that theme. Now I love it.

The wall behind the contestants on Remote Control also scared the crap out of me, esp. when they\'d have the cast members \"welcoming\" the contestant backstage. Can\'t remember what he said, but my older cousin used to make up some lie about what kind of torture those poor contestants endured once they got backstage.

ETA: It never bothered me on USA, but the SANDY FRANK PRESENTS Scanimate graphics at the beginning of Face the Music creeped me out when it aired on the Family Channel.

Shows that superimpose eggcrates for win totals/countdown clocks still creep me out a bit. Not to the point of where I cover my eyes, but just the whole tackiness of it all. I think Dawson\'s Feud is the one exception.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:12:11 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvmitch

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »

The stinger from $1M Chance of a Lifetime.

Also, unrelated to game shows, but people getting pies in their face terrified me. My folks would watch Three\'s Company reruns and they would throw pies in each others\' faces every so often. I would hide in the closet.

You should follow me on Twitter

dale_grass

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
The wall behind the contestants on Remote Control also scared the crap out of me, esp. when they\'d have the cast members \"welcoming\" the contestant backstage. Can\'t remember what he said, but my older cousin used to make up some lie about what kind of torture those poor contestants endured once they got backstage.

This, this, a thousand times this.  And I was none to thrilled the first time Barker walked onstage with white hair.

TimK2003

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »

As mentioned on the other thread, that Time\'s Up/Tacky Buzzer used on the syndicated Hollywood Squares was at the top of my list.

And, while not really a Game Show specific, I give you \"The S From Hell\":

That creepy music and snakelike logo formation scared the crap out of me when I was little.  And I wasn\'t the only one if the \"S from Hell\" moniker can easily be googled on the internet.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:40:09 PM by TimK2003 »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Game Show Terrors
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »

The Whammy and his blood-curdling voice SCARED ME TO DEATH when I was 4 or 5.

So did the Vin Di Bona Productions closing logo on America\'s Funniest Home Videos -- it was accompanied by the scariest, creepiest, most foreboding synth. It still gives me shudders to this day, for some odd reason.

Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

aaron sica

Game Show Terrors
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 09:20:56 PM »

I\'d often watch the showcase reveal on TPIR from a distance when I was little - the clangs, whoops and \"DOUBLE SHOWCASE WINNER\" flashing on the screen terrified me.