Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odd trips being offered on game shows  (Read 10263 times)

gameshowguy2000

Odd trips being offered on game shows
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2003, 07:42:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 01:46 PM\'] How about the trips to the Roseland "Dude Ranch" -- in Stanfordville, NY!  (That's about 45 minutes from here, and there ain't nothin' dude ranchy about this part of New York. [/quote]
 And that's the destination of the "RANCH VACATION" given away on Whammy.

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2003, 07:53:45 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 07:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 01:46 PM\'] How about the trips to the Roseland "Dude Ranch" -- in Stanfordville, NY!  (That's about 45 minutes from here, and there ain't nothin' dude ranchy about this part of New York. [/quote]
And that's the destination of the "RANCH VACATION" given away on Whammy. [/quote]
 I'm pretty sure I saw it on WinTuition as well. I'm guessing GSN has/had some sort of deal with the ranch?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2003, 08:31:16 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 05:26 PM\'] PYL also offered trips to Lake Powell, Concord, Calif., and Montana(ski trip), locales I can't recall seeing on other shows. [/quote]
 Trips to the Napa Valley wine country are given away all the time on game shows. Concord, CA is part of that area.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2003, 09:12:00 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 05:27 PM\'] I have on tape of a Sale of the Century episode where a trip to Russia is shown, that sounds odd, but it may be a cool place to visit? [/quote]
 I don't know if a trip to the Soviet Union would have been so cool since one probably would have had to spend too much time with the Intourist guides/minders, but I studied in St. Petersburg just after the fall of the Soviet Union and had a blast.

I don't remember seeing much in the way of game shows on Russian TV, though.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

gamed121683

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2003, 09:15:14 PM »
I remember one time on Trivial Pursuit, the winner of the bonus round on one trip could have a nice trip to SAN ANTONIO, TX!..."Why?", I asked myself. So special about San Antonio (besides the Spurs). Pretty cheap if you ask me.

JayC

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2003, 09:15:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 02:46 PM\'] How about the trips to the Roseland "Dude Ranch" -- in Stanfordville, NY!  (That's about 45 minutes from here, and there ain't nothin' dude ranchy about this part of New York. [/quote]
 Pinegrove Dude Ranch in Kerhonkson NY is better then that place.

Anyway, to the topic...  I remember showcase prizes on TPiR recently being trips to Space Camp and some colonial place in Mississippi (Hopotong maybe?)  Who would want to go to either?

zachhoran

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2003, 09:17:43 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 09:15 PM\'] TPIR offfered a trip to some colonial place in Mississippi (Hopotong maybe?) [/quote]
 It might have been a trip to the Natchez, Mississippi old time mansion resort given away a few times on Whammy! last season

JayC

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2003, 09:25:50 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 09:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 09:15 PM\'] TPIR offfered a trip to some colonial place in Mississippi (Hopotong maybe?) [/quote]
It might have been a trip to the Natchez, Mississippi old time mansion resort given away a few times on Whammy! last season [/quote]
 Yeah, that's it.  Thanks!  Hopotong is a town in NJ actually, I dont know why I was thinking that was the name.

trainman

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2003, 10:35:59 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 03:18 AM\'] Meanwhile, I read one of the prizes on the Canadian Supermarket Sweep was a trip to CUBA!!  If this was the American show, that prize would definitely be avoided at all costs. [/quote]
 My father went to Cuba a couple of years ago (Americans are allowed to travel there under certain circumstances) and enjoyed the trip.  Although it's possible he only enjoyed it because of the cigars.
trainman is a man of trains

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2003, 10:45:18 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 09:17 PM\'] It might have been a trip to the Natchez, Mississippi old time mansion resort given away a few times on Whammy! last season [/quote]
A mansion or a plantation?

Yay, a damn plantation.  All black men love to go to visit those things.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 10:45:31 PM by Brandon Brooks »

zachhoran

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2003, 11:27:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 10:45 PM\']
A mansion or a plantation?

[/quote]
 It's the Monmouth Plantation Bed and Breakfast in Natchez, Mississippi.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2003, 01:02:13 AM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 09:15 PM\']Anyway, to the topic...  I remember showcase prizes on TPiR recently being trips to Space Camp and some colonial place in Mississippi (Hopotong maybe?)  Who would want to go to either?[/quote]
Thousands of people (although not me) want to go to Space Camp, trips to which have been a game show staple for years and years.

And the Mississippi trip sounds fine. Hey, as long as I'm not worried about taxes, a dangerous neighborhood/city/country, finding time to take the trip, or not having something resembling a hotel to stay in, most any trip you can think of will be peachy keen by me.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

johnnya2k3

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2003, 05:33:00 AM »
Thousands of people (although not me) want to go to Space Camp, trips to which have been a game show staple for years and years.

Yeah, trips to U.S. Space Camp/Space Academy have been offered on the Nickelodeon game shows as the top prize.

The ironic thing was the Double Dare obstacle course winners flew to Space Camp on Eastern Airlines, which would go under in the early '90s. I'm not sure if Fun House offered Space Camp as their "Power Prize" (maybe somebody at Stone-Stanley could delve into their library -- that is, if they've cataloged the FH episodes somewhere next to The Man Show, The Mole, Fame, Shop 'Til You Drop, Legends of the Hidden Temple, The Joe Schmo Show, Popstars, College Mad House, Loveline, Winning Lines, Free-4-All, Quicksilver, Big Deal, and whatever else shows they've produced over the years), but I know travel to them was provided by Delta Airlines.

And of course, there's another odd trip Nick offered--A RETURN TRIP TO UNIVERSAL STUDIOS FLORIDA!

Jonathan Allen

byrd62

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2003, 07:56:28 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 05:33 AM\'] Yeah, trips to U.S. Space Camp/Space Academy have been offered on the Nickelodeon game shows as the top prize.

[/quote]
FYI, Space Camp is located in Huntsville, Alabama, near the famed Redstone Arsenal, where the early rocket tests took place in the 1950's.

www.spacecamp.com
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 07:57:00 AM by byrd62 »

inturnaround

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2003, 08:41:40 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 05:33 AM\'] And of course, there's another odd trip Nick offered--A RETURN TRIP TO UNIVERSAL STUDIOS FLORIDA!
 [/quote]
 Yeah, I always thought that was really weird when I was watching as a kid. "Gee, I get to come back?"

I think the Space Camp prize was the top prize back in the Philadelphia WHYY days. Once they moved to Universal Studios Florida (before the park opened IIRC), then the top prize became a trip back.
Joe Coughlin     
Human