Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Odd trips being offered on game shows  (Read 10265 times)

johnnya2k3

Odd trips being offered on game shows
« on: December 20, 2003, 06:18:15 AM »
On Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough, they offered trips to "beautiful and exotic Iran." Well, Iran wouldn't be beautiful and exotic for long, because by the time they were aired, the Shah was out and the Ayatollah Khomeini was in. And in the finals of the 1978 TJW $100,000 tournament that was shown during the "Feast of Favorites" on Thanksgiving, the fall trip (among the seasonal trips Frank Dillon won) was to Morocco, where "you'll experience its mystery and charm" according to Jack Barry. Hey, what's so mysterious and charming about Morocco? Fearing for your life?

Meanwhile, I read one of the prizes on the Canadian Supermarket Sweep was a trip to CUBA!! If this was the American show, that prize would definitely be avoided at all costs.

Let's hope TPIR won't offer trips to "sunny, dangerous Baghdad" anytime soon!

Jonathan Allen
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 01:50:44 PM by johnnya2k3 »

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 10:01:55 AM »
Yeah, and then they'd show the oddest and poorly shot film they had about the country. Like Morocco would have a bellydancer and the colors would be all wrong and it would look really dark and it made me afraid to travel anywhere when I was a kid.

Ah, fond memories. :)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 10:22:58 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 10:01 AM\'] Yeah, and then they'd show the oddest and poorly shot film they had about the country. Like Morocco would have a bellydancer and the colors would be all wrong and it would look really dark and it made me afraid to travel anywhere when I was a kid.

Ah, fond memories. :) [/quote]
 You forgot the exotic music as well. :)

Starkman

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 10:59:02 AM »
Although i forget the locations, i remember the Marshall squares eps GSN aired having some oddball locations for secret square prizes.

As for TPIR anyone else cringe when they offer those safaris to kenya! Signapore is another place id avoid that they often send ppl to.

starcade

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 01:22:39 PM »
Doesn't exactly compare to Iran, but the trip to Sedona, Arizona was a rather interesting locale for a destination recently on TPiR...

Fedya

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 02:46:02 PM »
How about the trips to the Roseland "Dude Ranch" -- in Stanfordville, NY!  (That's about 45 minutes from here, and there ain't nothin' dude ranchy about this part of New York.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 02:49:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 10:59 AM\'] As for TPIR anyone else cringe when they offer those safaris to kenya! Signapore is another place id avoid that they often send ppl to. [/quote]
Why would I cringe at a Safari or Singapore?  That makes no sense.  Just because you may not like those places doesn't mean that they are cringe-worthy.

And is it really that hard to type out words to where you have to use "ppl?"

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 02:50:15 PM by Brandon Brooks »

Card Shark

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 03:25:49 PM »
Well, let's discuss the first half of the title of this thread. On the topic of odd trips in general, the first thing that immediately came to mind was a lady who was on TPIR a few years ago. She was visiting L.A. from Washington D.C. Well, as luck would have it, the game she played was for a trip from L.A. to Washington D.C. She won this trip. You could just sense the excitement.
Adam Strom

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 03:41:28 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 06:18 AM\'] Meanwhile, I read one of the prizes on the Canadian Supermarket Sweep was a trip to CUBA!! If this was the American show, that prize would definitely be avoided at all costs. [/quote]
 Until at least Castro's regime folds or communism in Cuba dies, no trips to Cuba will ever be offered on any U.S. program.

While on this topic, has any U.S. game show offered a trip to Cuba?  Obviously this scenario would've had to occur before the late 50s.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 04:36:09 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 06:18 AM\'] On Joker's Wild and Tic Tac Dough, they offered trips to "beautiful and exotic Iran." Well, Iran wouldn't be beautiful and exotic for long, because by the time they were aired, the Shah was out and the Ayatollah Khomeini was in. And in the finals of the 1978 TJW $100,000 tournament that was shown during the "Feast of Favorites" on Thanksgiving, the fall trip (among the seasonal trips Frank Dillon won) was to Morocco, where "you'll experience its mystery and charm" according to Jack Barry. Hey, what's so mysterious and charming about Morocco? Fearing for your life?

Meanwhile, I read one of the prizes on the Canadian Supermarket Sweep was a trip to CUBA!! If this was the American show, that prize would definitely be avoided at all costs.

Let's hope TPIR won't offer trips to "sunny, dangerous Baghdad" anytime soon!

Jonathan Allen [/quote]
 Wheel of Fortune once offered a vacation to Portsmouth, Virginia, mainly to advertise for a new hotel built in downtown Portsmouth. What Portsmouth has to offer is beyond me, considering 1) the hotel is literally across the river from downtown Norfolk (which offers much more), and 2) Virginia Beach is a very popular summer resort town, in the midst of their remodeling campaign.

ObGameShow: Wheel shot two weeks of shows in Norfolk, back in 1995.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DaneFromKansas

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 05:09:29 PM »
I may be mistaken, but didn't the original Press Your Luck offer some odd trips?  I recall seeing a trip to Scottsdale, AZ on the board at one point, and I vaguely remember a trip to Knott's Berry Farm on there as well.  Any other ones I missed from PYL?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 05:25:46 PM »
[quote name=\'DaneFromKansas\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 03:09 PM\'] I may be mistaken, but didn't the original Press Your Luck offer some odd trips?  I recall seeing a trip to Scottsdale, AZ on the board at one point, and I vaguely remember a trip to Knott's Berry Farm on there as well.  Any other ones I missed from PYL? [/quote]
 I, for one, would greatly enjoy a trip to Scottsdale during spring training of baseball season.

And Knotts kicks the crap out of Dizzyland if you're older and you like more adult rides. (Neither hold a candle to Magic Mountain, tho.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DJDustman

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2003, 05:27:17 PM »
I have on tape of a Sale of the Century episode where a trip to Russia is shown, that sounds odd, but it may be a cool place to visit?

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2003, 07:26:03 PM »
[quote name=\'DaneFromKansas\' date=\'Dec 20 2003, 05:09 PM\'] I may be mistaken, but didn't the original Press Your Luck offer some odd trips?  I recall seeing a trip to Scottsdale, AZ on the board at one point, and I vaguely remember a trip to Knott's Berry Farm on there as well.  Any other ones I missed from PYL? [/quote]
 PYL also offered trips to Lake Powell, Concord, Calif., and Montana(ski trip), locales I can't recall seeing on other shows.

zachhoran

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2003, 07:30:03 PM »
The old-school Dating Game(ABC primetime) gave away trips to Timbuktu, as per Walt Case.

WOF is the only game show I can recall to give away an expedition to Antarctica(circa late 80s).