Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Garbage Inducts Golden-road.net  (Read 30409 times)

DoItRockapella

Game Show Garbage Inducts Golden-road.net
« on: January 26, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »

I adore Game Show Garbage.

I am also now starting to fear for Robert Seidelman\'s life.

http://www.gameshowgarbage.com/ind139_thegoldenfanbois.html

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »
That\'s OK, he once tried to pay a friend of mine to whip my ass for me. He\'s a tool, he can\'t write worth a darn and his videos are crap. The only garbage here is the GSG website.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:25:47 PM »

I did enjoy GSG when it first came out.

The problem is the novelty, unfortunately, has worn off. And instead of trying to reinvent the site and make it more about actual crappy stuff in game shows, Rob digs up obscure stuff (seriously, was the \"buttah\" answer on MG98 worth an entire induction?) and talks down to his audience assuming that everyone is going to know what he\'s talking about. If you\'re getting to the point where you\'re just pointing out obscurities, I think that you need to stop what you\'re doing and rework the whole thing.

The problem is that no one connected with the site wants to tell him that, and if you dare to it causes an issue. Case in point, his induction of Joe Farago. I watched a few episodes of Break the Bank that he hosted and I honestly saw nothing that could have been considered worthy of being inducted on a hall-of-shame website like GSG. And I told Rob that, only to be dismissed with a snarky reply. As a matter of fact, I thought that Farago actually improved BTB- as much as a Gene Rayburn fan I am, he just did not do a very good job. And his \"April Fools\" Jeopardy induction left me scratching my head, as he has been rather critical of the show in the past- Travis, I don\'t know if you remember this from Tim Connolly\'s old GS forum on loogslair but he claimed Celebrity Blackjack was better at least a couple of times.

If Rob was smart he\'d give more work to his cowriters, such as his \"dumb answer of the week\" compiler (who is far and away the best writer on the site and has better comedic timing than Rob does). 

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:28:07 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

DoItRockapella

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »

Sigh...I just started a flame war, didn\'t I?

We\'re all supposedly fans of what might be the most innocent form of entertainment under the sun. Why can\'t we ever get along?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:38:08 PM by DoItRockapella »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
No you haven\'t. What you\'ve started is people sharing opinions.
Travis L. Eberle

pacdude

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »

Anyone who says I\'m \"right on the money\" gets a pass in my book. The article, however, I found hard to read due to its formatting. Who center aligns things anyway? Yikes.

I kind of view the GSF as a nice collegiate discussion of our hobby, intellectual and well-researched, whilst still being amusing and off-topic when need be. I also view Golden-Road.net as a loud, boisterous middle school playground where ideas and notions run rampant, \"nanna nanna boo boo stick your head in doo-doo\" is an appropriate response when a differing opinion is shared, and no one listens to reason or logic. 

Stereotypes, YMMV, etc. 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 08:43:17 PM »
Anyone who says I\'m \"right on the money\" gets a pass in my book.
I don\'t think less of you because of what some guy thinks of you; on the other hand I wouldn\'t scream it from the mountaintops that this particular guy agrees with you, either.

Criticism is a tricky tightrope. It\'s really easy to bag on the really bad stuff, but it is hard to criticize something without it coming off as bagging on it because that\'s easy or fashionable. A couple weeks ago I played Steve Jackson\'s Revolution! at game night. It was terrible. I could write a scathing review of it, saying how dare you give this assclown more of your money to buy a box of air and a blind-bidding game that punishes players more than it rewards them...on and on and it starts to come off as looking down your nose at the review subject. Rob is so busy dumping on everything and playing to his crowd of myrmidons that he doesn\'t bother to hone his craft, and when the olive branch is extended he takes a big steaming dump on it. And then threatens to hire someone to beat me up because he\'s too much of a wussbag to travel thirty miles to do it himself.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 08:48:28 PM »

I just find it really unsettling that he would have hired someone to beat anyone up...kinda goes against the facade he tries to portray (and that certain people- including his webmaster- try to reinforce whenever anyone dares criticize him).

And I must ask for more info, if possible, because this is a disturbing story.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chad1m

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »

I don\'t mind people talking s**t about me, but holy cow, if you\'re going to drop my name in your article, at least check and see if using my name is relevant to the story and if I\'ve posted to the place where I\'m apparently a prominent member in the last 18 months. (Spoiler alert: It isn\'t and I haven\'t)

cacLA8383

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
I did enjoy GSG when it first came out.

The problem is the novelty, unfortunately, has worn off. And instead of trying to reinvent the site and make it more about actual crappy stuff in game shows, Rob digs up obscure stuff (seriously, was the \"buttah\" answer on MG98 worth an entire induction?) and talks down to his audience assuming that everyone is going to know what he\'s talking about. If you\'re getting to the point where you\'re just pointing out obscurities, I think that you need to stop what you\'re doing and rework the whole thing.

The problem is that no one connected with the site wants to tell him that, and if you dare to it causes an issue. Case in point, his induction of Joe Farago. I watched a few episodes of Break the Bank that he hosted and I honestly saw nothing that could have been considered worthy of being inducted on a hall-of-shame website like GSG. And I told Rob that, only to be dismissed with a snarky reply. As a matter of fact, I thought that Farago actually improved BTB- as much as a Gene Rayburn fan I am, he just did not do a very good job. And his \"April Fools\" Jeopardy induction left me scratching my head, as he has been rather critical of the show in the past- Travis, I don\'t know if you remember this from Tim Connolly\'s old GS forum on loogslair but he claimed Celebrity Blackjack was better at least a couple of times.

If Rob was smart he\'d give more work to his cowriters, such as his \"dumb answer of the week\" compiler (who is far and away the best writer on the site and has better comedic timing than Rob does). 

We\'re all supposedly fans of what might be the most innocent form of entertainment under the sun. Why can\'t we ever get along?

As stated, the opinions in that piece were Rob\'s and Rob\'s alone. What really set him off to do it to begin with is that email that\'s shown near the bottom. He\'s not exactly always been the most emotionally stable person as a few of you can attest to (Mike and Palmer moreso).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 11:22:13 PM »
And apparently he plagiarizes from other websites too. So there\'s that.
Travis L. Eberle

Chelsea Thrasher

pacdude

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »
Anyone who says I\'m \"right on the money\" gets a pass in my book.

I don\'t think less of you because of what some guy thinks of you; on the other hand I wouldn\'t scream it from the mountaintops that this particular guy agrees with you, either.

Very fair point. I don\'t know the GSG people very well, aside from Jim Williams who is very well-spoken and amusing. I have my issues with Golden-Road.net but I think a whole article about it is far from… well, I don\'t know. Necessary? Helpful? I think you could easily replaced the whole article with \"I think Golden-Road.net is the kid\'s table of the Thanksgiving Feast of game show fandom\" and saved everyone the discussion.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 11:34:29 PM »

I like how an e-mail about two members on the board is supposed to really bring home the point of how terrible the site is and how they have no soul. I don\'t know much about math, but I don\'t think two out of a thousand or so is the greatest sample size.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:35:01 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 11:34:33 PM »

I think the tone of Game Show Garbage was fairly well-established with its first article, a treatise on Patrick Wayne. It built on a really old joke from our fandom that, IMO, time otherwise washed away. That\'s been my main issue with the site, and the resulting YouTube videos.

Both endeavors frequently go into immature hyperbole about how \"pathetic\" certain game shows are (or sometimes, fewer than 2 minutes of material from one episode of such). I find it hard to throw stones at other \"fanbois\" when said thrower provides a metric ton of detail on some dusty, unexplored corners of the game show world. Just like its inspiration, a website on the worst of pro wrestling, I appreciate that GSG introduces fans to things they might not have otherwise seen. It\'s just not very insightful.

-Jason

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:42:26 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck