Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Louie Anderson on ABC celebrity diving show 'Splash'  (Read 20489 times)

Matt Ottinger

Louie Anderson on ABC celebrity diving show 'Splash'
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »

Start working on your jokes now.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/25/abc-diving-show-your-celebrity-stars-are/

In a world where actual show business stars don\'t do this sort of thing anymore, the producers have gathered a kinda interesting bunch, including Chelsea Handler\'s diminutive sidekick Chuy, Detroit Lions bad boy Ndamukong Suh, and beauty queen Katherine Webb, to make sure Brent Musburger tunes in.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »
including Chelsea Handler\'s diminutive sidekick Chuy,
This kills me, because to me Chelsea Handler is already so \"D\"-list that it makes Kathy Griffin look like Jennifer Lawrence. Which means Chuy Bravo, by definition, is *at least* \"E\".

/heh, \"E\"
//I see what I did there
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »

Celebrity Bowling -- GOOD

Celebrity Diving -- BAD

Wouldn\'t be so bad of a concept if they would add the following to fill the rest of the hour: 

* 3-6 other events,

* 10-15 other celebrities equally divided amongst the 3 4 TV networks into teams...and,

* A Howard Cosell hologram as commentator.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »

Can we get to the more interesting deviations of Dancing with the Stars already? Ice? Boring. Diving? Has potential, but sounds stupid.

Where\'s Celebrity Knife Throwing? Celebrity Fire Breathing? Can a brother get Celebrity Curling?

In any case, where in the world has Louie Anderson been? My goodness, I thought he just lived at home and hosted Family Feud in between two couches using the blinds behind him as the big board. At least that\'s what I do when I\'m not hosting the Price is Right in the garage, opening and closing the door and offering the same car in every game as I use a backscratcher as the microphone. I haven\'t seen him in ages. I might have to tune in just for that treat.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Fedya

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
Could somebody explaine to me how this is different from the diving show Fox did a few weeks back?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »

This kills me, because to me Chelsea Handler is already so \"D\"-list that it makes Kathy Griffin look like Jennifer Lawrence.
If she looked like Jennifer Lawrence, I\'d hit that back up to the \"A+\"-list.

Well, beg your pardon. Looked and sounded.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:16:10 PM by Kevin Prather »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »
This has showed up in the \"game show\" section on TheBox.bz for a few weeks. Doesn\'t it usually take a year or two for something to cross the ocean instead of just months?
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 02:33:47 PM »
Could somebody explaine to me how this is different from the diving show Fox did a few weeks back?

Nope.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »

Sure.

The Fox version was an original program of crap, while the ABC version is a copycat program of crap.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »

I feel for the crew personnel who have to be near the pool when Louie dives in.  Oh dear...

And for that matter, the eyes of the viewers of him in a........................ I\'ll stop right there.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:35:40 PM by NicholasM79 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »

... Speedo.

This version has 4\'3\" Chuy Bravo. That\'s 10 rating points right there.

Two more celebrity divers will be announced later.

Well hell, if one of them isn\'t Chaz Bono, I see no point in even turning on the TV that evening. That would be another 10 rating points.

It might be worth watching if Orson Welles were still around and they stationed a camera at Cal Tech to watch the ensuing seismic activity. Or they could book Jamie Kennedy. That would make the show, um, unpredictable, save for the fact that some people would be hoping he drowned.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:15:16 PM by chris319 »

Brig Bother

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »
[quote name=\"jjman920\" post=\"303344\" timestamp=\"1359226517\"]

Where\'s Celebrity Knife Throwing? Celebrity Fire Breathing? Can a brother get Celebrity Curling?
 [/quote]

The correct answer is: the Dutch have just commissioned Celebrity Ski Jumping. They are apparently having trouble getting celebs for it.

In theory the difference between Celebrity Splash and Stars in Danger is that CS is designed as a weekly show whilst SiD is meant as a one-off (it\'s an annual spin-off of Stefan Raab\'s chat show in Germany). There is currently a big format dispute between the two format owners, how you copyright diving is beyond me.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
I liked how Push the Button would take one family member from each team offsite and have them do some sort of performance, whether it was penalty kicks or one lap around a thoroughbred track, or juggling cigar boxes, or, yes, the high dive. If it was the same wacky task each week that segment would have been way less fun.
Travis L. Eberle

Fedya

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
And for that matter, the eyes of the viewers of him in a........................ I\'ll stop right there.

You might want to get a copy of the John Wayne movie Island in the Sky. Andy Devine, who by this time was probably pushing 300 pounds, plays one of the pilots who has to try to find Wayne\'s crew. At the time the emergency is called in, Devine is with his (grand)children at the local swimming pool. We even get to see a shot of Devine in his swim trunks doing a cannonball into the pool. It\'s wonderfully disturbing.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

BillCullen1

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »
I feel for the crew personnel who have to be near the pool when Louie dives in.  Oh dear...

That last statement alone makes me want to avoid it. So Louie gets to host another show. Mayber he\'ll act like he wants to be there this time.