Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Never before seen' Match Game pilot?  (Read 35464 times)

snowpeck

'Never before seen' Match Game pilot?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »
You're complaining about 30 minutes of a 9 hour marathon.  I just think it's nice they're showing episodes from throughout the entire run of Match Game.  They easily could have just shown episodes from the 200 episode lease they currently have.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
(is this the first time GSN has aired the '98 version?)
Indeed.

To the average GSN viewer (read: no one on this forum), it's a rare version that most viewers prolly don't even realize existed. Yes, this version was extremely subpar, but if you're commemorating the 50th anniversary, it only makes sense to include as many versions as possible, esp. since they prolly can't get the MG/HS Hour due to rights issues. So, in a way, it's a neat rarity...hardly anything to get worked up over.

/And it would prolly be awkward to show just one half of the show and not the other
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »
As someone has already pointed out, one of the half hour slots is unaccounted for. So while I certainly could be the slightest bit disappointed in no Convy Match Game pilot, I can't be since I can hold out hope that it will show. On top of that, just because Match Game '98 wasn't the best show, doesn't mean it should be locked in a vault never to be seen again. It's fun to watch mistakes and I look forward to seeing Match Game '98 on a television since my last memory of it on TV is hazy.

GSN has certainly been surprising me. While they certainly aren't the channel of yore, to get the first fifty episodes of PYL, a new Pyramid, new 25K Pyramid episodes, the return of Password, the continuation of 2-week B&W Overnight, and now these gems, it has really been an alright damn good year. Their actions continually renew my hope to see new and exciting things from them, which at one point I thought wasn't going to happen.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:00:54 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 10:00:30 PM »
and/or outside of the trading circuit
MRRP! GSN does not care about the "trading circuit."
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
And honestly, call me crazy, but I'm one of those types who used to love the original TV Land that showed obscure shows that were done after a season. Nearly 15 years later, I love coming across obscure 70s and 80s shows on Youtube. If I'm the casual viewer, I'm excited to see this for the same reason, even if I can find episodes on YT.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

cacLA8383

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »

Oh, I'm happy about TMG pilot (shoot, any time we get to see any "new" eps of the '60s series) and the MG7x pilot.  I am just saying that that third spot could have had better occupants if they were going for "never before seen" on GSN and/or TV, and ones that would serve the same purpose of a MG98 episode, but with better quality.

Gotta love the 3s, I tell you.....*facepalm*

Real treat, in my eyes no matter what versions they got lined up.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:02:09 PM by cacLA8383 »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 01:58:47 AM »
Will this mark the first time that GSN has aired a Goodson-Todman pilot?

dale_grass

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 02:33:43 AM »
Jimmy, you must wear a hat when you go outside.  You've caught something dreadful and as a result we can barely hear you.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »

Amazingly, it would appear so.  Unless an episode of one of their G-T obscurities like He Said She Said happened to be a pilot and just wasn't identified as such.  The "turkeys" they aired were for the most part Barris and Stewart shows.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JMFabiano

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
Oh, I'm happy about TMG pilot (shoot, any time we get to see any "new" eps of the '60s series) and the MG7x pilot.  I am just saying that that third spot could have had better occupants if they were going for "never before seen" on GSN and/or TV, and ones that would serve the same purpose of a MG98 episode, but with better quality.

Gotta love the 3s, I tell you.....*facepalm*

Real treat, in my eyes no matter what versions they got lined up.

Oh no, sorry if it seemed like I was turning to the dark side there.  I actually accept MG98 being there, despite my wishes for another version or pilot in its place.  And I do see an MG90 episode now that I saw the schedule, so my mistake.

Now I think the '98 episode is the premiere?  I THINK Rondell was on the panel then...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:31:08 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 02:31:36 PM »

Amazingly, it would appear so.  Unless an episode of one of their G-T obscurities like He Said She Said happened to be a pilot and just wasn't identified as such.  The "turkeys" they aired were for the most part Barris and Stewart shows.

And a bit of Barry-Enright if you count the Faux Paused Hollywood Connection pilot.

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
Now I think the '98 episode is the premiere?  I THINK Rondell was on the panel then...
I've got a tape somewhere at my mom's, but the "premiere" we got here (it was a single episode IIRC) had a guy named Sandy who appeared on Scrabble in 1993 (his episode is actually on Youtube).

I can't remember the panel, but off the top of my head, I think it was Vicki-Rondell-Judy-Nell-George Hamilton.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »
Dug through my collection and found my copy of the first ep (at least, labeled as such. The aforementioned Sandy is a contestant). Panel is Vicki-Kristoff St. John-Judy-Nell-George Hamilton.

JMFabiano

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
To the people complaining here, just stop. The good news: We're actually getting a marathon over the holidays that is not just Family Feud. The great news: It's a Match Game marathon. The best news of all: The episodes GSN has acquired for this special, half-century anniversary. Nothing can top this right now. Even if the marathon doesn't crack 200K, I'll be fine with that.

Please all, and you will please none, apparently

Despite my MG98 knocking, I do agree.  Seems that GSN is trying to find a happy medium between casual viewers, hardcore fans, and being economical all the while.  Nothing wrong with that.  They're not running the enitre run of Spin-Off or something obscure like that, but there are still nods to the hardcores.

And Seth, you are right, it was Kristoff on the first episode, I knew it was some distinct name.  (Another way to tell: was the Audience Match "_____ chip"?)  Why I remembered Rondell too, I don't know.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:15:26 PM by JMFabiano »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Despite my MG98 knocking, I do agree.  Seems that GSN is trying to find a happy medium between casual viewers, hardcore fans, and being economical all the while.  Nothing wrong with that.  They're not running the enitre run of Spin-Off or something obscure like that, but there are still nods to the hardcores.
Are "the hardcores" paying a premium for their fanservice?
To the people complaining here, just stop.
Guy, you're really not in the position to dish out orders.
Travis L. Eberle