Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN, this is a new low, even for you (PYL and CS related)  (Read 47277 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN, this is a new low, even for you (PYL and CS related)
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
http://gameshowfollies.blogspot.com/

New PDFs have been released. GSN only leased 50 episodes for both shows.

Why only 50? Why couldn't it have been at least 200?

Julius

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »
I'm very upset by this news.
Julius May, Philadelphia PA

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »

Two things here:

As much as I want to trot out the "Be happy there's a channel in the first place to show these" argument, 50 seems excessively low.

The other, I find a little troubling: in looking at the PDF for Christmas Day, it appears "paid programming" airs all the way from 7:30am to 5:00pm. Whaaaaaaaaaa...........?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:42:02 PM »
Feel free to send GSN a check with your name on it and pay for the rest of the episodes.  How is this "low"?

My answer?  You're a spoiled brat who thinks everything should be handed to him.  That's not how the real world works, kid.  Remind me to send you a lump of coal for Christmas.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
Because most of the channel's leases I've seen for non-original programming have been around 200, give or take a bit. 50 is inexcusable, no matter how hard you, or GSN, may try to spin this one.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:46:10 PM by gameshowlover87 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
Casey thanks you for the web traffic.

Don't like it, don't watch. Don't watch, don't pay for the channel. I know that'll free up an hour a day on my Tivo.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:47:30 PM »
Because most of the channel's leases I've seen for non-original programming have been around 200, give or take a bit. 50 is inexcusable, no matter how hard GSN may try to spin this one.

I wouldn't say "inexcusable"....That's taking things a little too far. They can do what they want, regardless of what anyone thinks. If they want to repeat the episode of Feud where Gary appears, ad-nauseum for months, every day, they can do that. I still think 50 is a low number, but I'm going to take a few seconds to process it, and move on with my life. I start work soon. I guarantee you I won't be spending all night pondering 50 episodes.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:48:09 PM by aaron sica »

snowpeck

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:02:21 PM »
The PDF seems incomplete... the Christmas Day Match Game marathon isn't even listed.  I say we just wait and see until an updated schedule is released.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:06:23 PM »
50 is inexcusable, no matter how hard you, or GSN, may try to spin this one.
Ah, and can you show me the network's financials that back up this assessment on your part?

If it's "inexcusable", please, tell me what you are going to do about it, because if it's inexcusable, clearly you must be driven to action, yes? Otherwise you're excusing it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
Just wild speculation on my part: were the short leases done to get a sample size and then the decision would be made to extend them?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 09:22:19 PM »
Dear gameshowlover87:

you know how bent out of shape you get when people give you crap and compare you to Zach Horan?

This is part of the reason why people do that.

(Travis, I could see them doing that- 50 is pretty low, considering that amounts to just ten weeks of episodes if you run 'em on weekdays, but there had to be some reason for a lease of 50)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »
50 is inexcusable...
No it isn't because....

A.) It could be zero.

and more importantly (and when it comes to PYL)...

B.) They were episodes that had never been seen in broadcast quality or ever before. Peter's suit in the first one seemed like a standard grey affair in blurry tape footage passed around more than a potato in Russia. Then the 1st episode was aired in broadcast quality and it was discovered that they didn't have the budget to hire a wardrobe coordinator yet. I don't give a kitty what they leased, this was an absolute treat to see. And by virtue of that, they don't need to explain a damn thing.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

J.R.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »

Oh my, what a horrendous tragedy.

I'll get the International Court of Justice on this, this Game Show Human Rights Violation must be dealt with.

Expect a press conference from the president shorty on this crisis.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:37:24 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »
jjman920, yes it is inexcusable. GSN has never done this crap before. You should give a kitty what they leased. And they do need to explain a damn thing.

Besides, there's a good chance this is all GSN is ever gonna for years and years to come. Even if ratings are the best, chances are they'll just keep showing the same damn first 50 over and over again to please only average casual viewers. I hate average casual viewers.

To quote tvtropes, Viewers are Morons.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:45:12 PM by gameshowlover87 »

tyshaun1

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:03 PM »
50 is inexcusable...
No it isn't because....

A.) It could be zero.

and more importantly (and when it comes to PYL)...

B.) They were episodes that had never been seen in broadcast quality or ever before. Peter's suit in the first one seemed like a standard grey affair in blurry tape footage passed around more than a potato in Russia. Then the 1st episode was aired in broadcast quality and it was discovered that they didn't have the budget to hire a wardrobe coordinator yet. I don't give a kitty what they leased, this was an absolute treat to see. And by virtue of that, they don't need to explain a damn thing.

Indeed. I never imagined GSN airing the first 50 or so episodes of PYL with Bob Boden not being there....... and judging by the steady growth for both it and Card Sharks in the ratings department, I wouldn't be too surprised to see more leased episodes appear in the near future.

Tyshaun