Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune questions  (Read 11981 times)

gameshowcrazy

Wheel of Fortune questions
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
The show jumped the shark for me (I think that phrase has also jumped the shark, but I did just use it twice) when they started having puzzles such as the category "things" while the puzzle was "television and a danish".

As for shopping--it wasn't working, people wanted more puzzles in a show, so it was dropped.

As far as current editing, I would be happy to see one less puzzle per show for the ability to have a better play at home experience.

When they had more time, you would see the puzzle on the screen for longer periods of time, now it flashes on and off the screen very quickly.  You can hear how bad the editing is when the wheel is spinning at full speed and suddenly is stopped.

When it comes to the game itself, I think the prize puzzle should be dropped.  The game is WHEEL of Fortune, not Solve Puzzle #3 of Fortune.  It almost begs a study to determine if the person who solves puzzle #3 wins the game because of that automatic bonus, and if that person does, it brings up the idea to see who solves any puzzle the most--the person who spins 1st, 2nd or 3rd.  If it's anything but 3rd, it sure gives credence to the strategy to not solve the 2nd tossup, giving yourself a better shot at solving the prize puzzle.  Prizes are fine, IF they are won by spinning the wheel, not just happening to solve puzzle #3.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
My question, I guess, is there some kind of edict from the higher-ups that mandate the prize is a trip?
Trips are cheap, electronics are expensive. Bottom line.
But they're owned by Sony- lord knows they could have used the advertising for that tablet of theirs. I really am confused as to why that relationship isn't utilized more often. Even outside of the Prize Puzzle, the prize wedge doesn't always have to be a trip either. You can give someone a decent TV or a nice A/V package for $5,000.

I'm fairly certain that the Prize Puzzle is a Mad Libs creation- (gerund) on a (noun) of (adjective) (plural noun).
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »
Even outside of the Prize Puzzle, the prize wedge doesn't always have to be a trip either. You can give someone a decent TV or a nice A/V package for $5,000.
Alright, let me try this again:
Trips are cheap free, electronics are expensive cost money. Bottom line.
Better?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Flerbert419

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »
It almost begs a study to determine if the person who solves puzzle #3 wins the game because of that automatic bonus...
There are some results on this front, but keep in mind that it is only for last season.  Still, it's pretty shocking when the totals are laid out in front of you.

Out of 195 maingame winners from last season, 137 (70%) solved the Prize Puzzle.

For 42 of those winners, the Prize Puzzle was the difference between them coming in first and some other position.

So for last season, about 21% of the winners sent to the Bonus Round were done so strictly based on the value of the prize given away for solving a puzzle.

...and it brings up the idea to see who solves any puzzle the most--the person who spins 1st, 2nd or 3rd.  
Again, results are only based on last season.  A maingame puzzle was solved by the first spinner 331 times (39%), the second spinner 299 times (36%), and the third spinner 212 times (25%).

I'm the second to act in Round #3 if I win the second tossup, and the percentage between first and second spinner is quite small so I would definitely go for it.

The absolute worst position is actually if the person who typically acts before you solves the tossup, because it would force you to be last during the PP round.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 11:18:46 PM »
Is there a stat for people who solved the puzzle who started with control and kept it throughout the round?
Travis L. Eberle

Flerbert419

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 11:39:04 PM »
Is there a stat for people who solved the puzzle who started with control and kept it throughout the round?

No, sorry.  By the way, for anybody interested in the source (and more data!) you can check it out here: http://woftracker.wo...eason-analysis/

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 11:41:36 PM »
I was not aware that "Lach trash" had a meaning on Wheel. Please enlighten me.
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »
When it comes to the game itself, I think the prize puzzle should be dropped.  The game is WHEEL of Fortune, not Solve Puzzle #3 of Fortune.  It almost begs a study to determine if the person who solves puzzle #3 wins the game because of that automatic bonus, and if that person does, it brings up the idea to see who solves any puzzle the most--the person who spins 1st, 2nd or 3rd.  If it's anything but 3rd, it sure gives credence to the strategy to not solve the 2nd tossup, giving yourself a better shot at solving the prize puzzle.  Prizes are fine, IF they are won by spinning the wheel, not just happening to solve puzzle #3.

Did it bother you when Round 1 had a Top Dollar Value of $1,000 but Round 3 had a Top Dollar Value of $3,500?  

It's only natural for a game to increase the stakes as it moves closer to the climax.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:35:10 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »
Did it bother you when Round 1 had a Top Dollar Value of $1,000 but Round 3 had a Top Dollar Value of $3,500?  

It's only natural for a game to increase the stakes as it moves closer to the climax.
I guess a counterpoint to that would be that Round 4 followed with a $5,000 space. Round 4 now doesn't give too much chance to overcome the prize puzzle without a $6K speedup.

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »

not at all, because a player had to land on the space, it wasn't just handed to them because they happened to solve a particular puzzle.  It's WHEEL of Fortune, not SOLVE PUZZLE 3 of Fortune.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 09:33:58 PM »

not at all, because a player had to land on the space, it wasn't just handed to them because they happened to solve a particular puzzle.  It's WHEEL of Fortune, not SOLVE PUZZLE 3 of Fortune.

And there are two other rounds where you can build up your score without HAVING TO SOLVE PUZZLE 3 to win, aren't there?

I'd actually like to see the stats of how often people who solve the prize puzzle don't win the game.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »
It's WHEEL of Fortune, not SOLVE PUZZLE 3 of Fortune.

Yeah, this made no goddamn sense when you said it the first time, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jage

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:40 AM »
I'd actually like to see the stats of how often people who solve the prize puzzle don't win the game.
Well that would be the opposite stat from earlier in the thread, 58 out of 195 or about 30 percent from last season's games.
Many game shows have pivotal moments where one question, spin, answer, etc. determine the outcome, so how is this any different?

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 03:27:37 AM »
Many game shows have pivotal moments where one question, spin, answer, etc. determine the outcome, so how is this any different?

Because it's a little anti-climactic when that moment happens in the middle of the show.

Look, I don't have my panties in a bunch over this, but I agree that more often than not the viewer knows who's going to bonus land once the prize puzzle has been solved.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »
Which is, again, fine.  The fact that the final round isn't always played for $6,000 per letter makes it all the more dramatic when it is.