Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Turns 18  (Read 29818 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
GSN Turns 18
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »
Disagreeing with a moderator? BAD IDEA. Not to mention that Matt was one of a few here, who, *AS HE SAID EARLIER* was able to see the station at launch. And you're arguing with that? Go back to your playpen and grab your pacifier while you're at it, put it in your mouth and shut yourself up. Have a nice day.
He's a Yankees fan.  'Nuff said.

Matt Ottinger

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »
Everybody makes mistakes. And I apologize if I did, he did, or whoever. I was just trying to point out legit proof from the author who runs one of the biggest game show outlet/ game show news websites in the country.

Wow.

This is the sort of thing that got you drummed out of the GSN boards, you know.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JMFabiano

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »
On the premiere marathon, did they include the multiple versions of shows over the years?  (With MG, it would be Rayburn and Shafer, for instance)

I am wondering if they showed any of the other WOFs they had the rights to besides the syndie version.  That and Bleu Gong Show (if they in fact showed the Barris version) and Caldwell TTD (though that technically was the same show Wink hosted).  Any TPIR?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN Turns 18
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 06:13:36 PM »
I was just trying to point out legit proof
Your proof is demonstrably false.

Own your pwnage. Or don't, keep digging. Either way.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 06:15:49 PM »
On the premiere marathon, did they include the multiple versions of shows over the years?  (With MG, it would be Rayburn and Shafer, for instance)

I am wondering if they showed any of the other WOFs they had the rights to besides the syndie version.  That and Bleu Gong Show (if they in fact showed the Barris version) and Caldwell TTD (though that technically was the same show Wink hosted).  Any TPIR?

Good question about TPiR. I'm not sure if this is right (as opposed to saying "It's true because I read it on the internets"), but from what I think I remember, in the earliest of promos for the channel (which ran *a lot* in the early days..the "commercials" were all PSA's and Sony commercials), they showed TPiR in the promos, until it was discovered that the eps have furs in them, which was a big no-no. The time was then spent to go through and remove fur eps from the rotation, which is the reason why TPiR on GSN never happened until almost 2 years after launch.*

*This is based on what i read. This is NOT FACT. Are you reading this, LGY and GSL87? Class dismissed.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GSN Turns 18
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 06:20:35 PM »

Good question about TPiR. I'm not sure if this is right (as opposed to saying "It's true because I read it on the internets"), but from what I think I remember, in the earliest of promos for the channel (which ran *a lot* in the early days..the "commercials" were all PSA's and Sony commercials), they showed TPiR in the promos, until it was discovered that the eps have furs in them, which was a big no-no. The time was then spent to go through and remove fur eps from the rotation, which is the reason why TPiR on GSN never happened until almost 2 years after launch.*

*This is based on what i read. This is NOT FACT. Are you reading this, LGY and GSL87? Class dismissed.
I don't recall where I read it, so take it with a grain of salt, but I thought I recalled reading that GSN didn't have access to the two G/T properties that were airing at launch (FF '94 and TPiR), thus the reason they aired when the rest of the G-T lineup disappeared.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »

In general, no to everything.  I really should dig up the tapes.  The shows and their order are right on the boxes, and I know my database isn't going to be perfectly accurate.  (I'm sure there's a Usenet post that listed the shows right around 12/1/94, if anybody can figure out how to access that.)

Definitely no TPIR, and I'm virtually certain there was no Gong Show either.  As I recall, they didn't even include remakes like Password Plus.  It was one and done, a smorgasbord to whet the appetite. As it turns out they didn't include several old series for which they only had a few episodes, like He Said She Said or What's Going On? and they showed some things, like Peter Marshall's Fantasy or the aforementioned All About the Opposite Sex that would end up getting very little play in the years that followed.

Incidentally, even though What's My Line was the first show in their chronological marathon, the I've Got a Secret episode that followed it was actually the oldest episode they included.  It was from August, 1952 and the WML? they selected was from March, 1953.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

snowpeck

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 06:43:59 PM »

In general, no to everything.  I really should dig up the tapes.  The shows and their order are right on the boxes, and I know my database isn't going to be perfectly accurate.  (I'm sure there's a Usenet post that listed the shows right around 12/1/94, if anybody can figure out how to access that.)

Definitely no TPIR, and I'm virtually certain there was no Gong Show either.  As I recall, they didn't even include remakes like Password Plus.  It was one and done, a smorgasbord to whet the appetite. As it turns out they didn't include several old series for which they only had a few episodes, like He Said She Said or What's Going On? and they showed some things, like Peter Marshall's Fantasy or the aforementioned All About the Opposite Sex that would end up getting very little play in the years that followed.

Incidentally, even though What's My Line was the first show in their chronological marathon, the I've Got a Secret episode that followed it was actually the oldest episode they included.  It was from August, 1952 and the WML? they selected was from March, 1953.
I've searched the Google Groups archive for such a post in the past, but never came up with anything.  Their archive seems to have lot of holes, especially back in those days. I'd love to see what did actually air that day.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

BrandonFG

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
Definitely no TPIR, and I'm virtually certain there was no Gong Show either.
According to the link I posted, it did not air, or at least was not scheduled to. I don't think Barris' shows came along until 1996 or so.

Everybody makes mistakes. And I apologize if I did
Apology accepted.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »
And if I may bring it up again, is it true that they could only use Eubanks CS at the beginning, and Perry premiered later?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

catnap1972

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 07:03:51 PM »
Think I got it in January or February of 1997, right about the time when they were starting to phase "Winnie" out.  Earliest tapes I have recorded are the blue screen/green ball ID's (albeit they still had used Winnie for the episode air/tape dates).  To this day I still kick myself how many more episodes of Treasure Hunt and $20,000 Pyramid (and a few other shows) I could've recorded during the DP.  "Nah, they'll still be around later on".  Blah.

aaron sica

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
And if I may bring it up again, is it true that they could only use Eubanks CS at the beginning, and Perry premiered later?

Sorry for kind of answering your question indirectly.....But I was curious as to when GSN *did* add Perry CS...I had a general idea, and was right. When 1996 bowed, GSN made a ton of changes to their schedule, http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.game-shows/browse_thread/thread/b89ec6c206704b23/136bd216f3e7fa38?hl=en&q=Perry+Card+Sharks#136bd216f3e7fa38 including adding Perry CS for the first time.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Turns 18
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 07:16:33 PM »
Everybody makes mistakes. And I apologize if I did, he did, or whoever. I was just trying to point out legit proof from the author who runs one of the biggest game show outlet/ game show news websites in the country.
Well, you certainly have a lip on you.

If you read it on the Internet, it must be true. I think you learned something about Alex today.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

GSN Turns 18
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 07:50:56 PM »
I don't recall where I read it, so take it with a grain of salt, but I thought I recalled reading that GSN didn't have access to the two G/T properties that were airing at launch (FF '94 and TPiR), thus the reason they aired when the rest of the G-T lineup disappeared.

Not having access to FF'94 makes sense, especially since it was on the air when GSN premiered. I think the first show GSN aired that was "current" was that abomination known as "Wheel 2000".