Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final episode mentions  (Read 38047 times)

calliaume

Final episode mentions
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2003, 09:26:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 02:41 PM\']
9.) Las Vegas Gambit - As the last seconds of the game roll on, an edit of Wink is inserted into the top of the screen saying this is the last show and David Letterman will be premiering Monday.

Las Vegas Gambit replaced the first half of Letterman's daytime show. LVG was replaced by Regis Philbin's talk show which co-starred Mary Hart. [/quote]
 I guess Wink was being presumptuous when he said we'd enjoy it.

Side note:  The first time The Magnificent Marble Machine left the air (for Take My Advice; it came back two weeks later when Wheel of Fortune shrunk to an hour -- trust me on this one), per Randy Amasia in ATGS, three different endings were taped -- "see you next week," "see you eventually," and "goodbye forever."

When the show finally left the air in June 1976, it had been playing in reruns for nearly three months -- it was supposed to exit April 1 or so, but its successor The Fun Factory had been delayed due to a strike of some sort.

Ian Wallis

Final episode mentions
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2003, 09:42:03 AM »
10.) The Better Sex- Bill and Sarah say some sort of speech and as the credits roll, Sarah is shown on stage mingling with the contestants crying away.

I believe Bill and Sarah said they were being "put on hold" and would return at some point.  (Hmmm...I keep checking TVGuide every week and STILL don't see it listed!!...LOL)

When the show finally left the air in June 1976, it had been playing in reruns for nearly three months -- it was supposed to exit April 1 or so, but its successor The Fun Factory had been delayed due to a strike of some sort.

"Magnificent Marble Machine" was actually listed with "Last show of the series" THREE different times in TVGuide.  The first was in early January 1976.  The second was just before April 1st, when "Fun Factory" was supposed to replace it.  It was the NABET strike that delayed its premiere.  The third was in June 1976 just before "Fun Factory" finally got on the air.

Re. "Take My Advice" - that was hosted by Kelly Lange, and during its short run featured many game show personalities as panelists - including Carol Wayne, Peter Marshall, Chuck Woolery and Allen Ludden.  It started out featuring celebrity couples, then went to regular celebrities (not that couples are irregular, but you get my point...)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

Final episode mentions
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2003, 09:59:55 AM »
"Take My Advice," another Burt Sugarman production that probably will never again see the light of day.  Burt's probably got the tapes in his basement next to the "Whew!"'s.  Not that anyone ever wants to see TMA again.  It did have Bill Armstrong as announcer and the audience voting thingies from "Celeb. Sweepstakes."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

Final episode mentions
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2003, 04:35:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 09:42 AM\']
10.) The Better Sex- Bill and Sarah say some sort of speech and as the credits roll, Sarah is shown on stage mingling with the contestants crying away.

I believe Bill and Sarah said they were being "put on hold" and would return at some point.  (Hmmm...I keep checking TVGuide every week and STILL don't see it listed!!...LOL)[/quote]
As I recall, Whisperin' Bill had his guitar with him and did a little song at the end (they actually had the lights down in the studio and the contestants sitting on the steps in front of their podia for the last segment).  However, ABC decided that instead of music, they'd rather run a long promo covering the daytime lineup changes starting the following Monday (with "Pyramid" going into "TBS"' time slot, IIRC), so the goodbyes got cut down, leaving the viewer wondering why Bill had his guitar with him for the farewell.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 08:01:33 PM by uncamark »

Marshall Akers

Final episode mentions
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2003, 08:34:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jim\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 02:23 PM\']4.) Joe G.'s TTTT - I never saw the final taped syndicated episode, but it has been posted elsewhere Joe gave some strange rambling speech at the end alluding to not being sure and we may not see you again...
[/quote]
Garagiola's final TTTT signoff was really more cryptic than rambling:

"Hey, for some reason, I only have five seconds to say goodbye and I'm kind of glad because it's kind of a . . . different goodbye.  And it's known only to us.  See you again."

Kitty Carlisle did say something to her co-panelists about the final vote following the last reveal, but it was difficult to hear over the audience applause . . .

Marshall

That Don Guy

Final episode mentions
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2003, 10:11:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Jim\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 02:23 PM\'] 12.) All Star Secrets - Eubanks said something (dont' remember what)
 [/quote]
 Was there an actual statement?  I remember that, instead of Bob Eubanks surprising one of the celebrites, one of the celebs (Jo Ann Worley, I think) surprised Bob by bringing out some sort of old-style western singing group (I think Bob sang with them at one time); they got together and sang something over the closing credits, and the last credit was "Happy Trails".

(Also, on the last Dream House, I recall Debbie Bartlett reading one of the prize plugs at the end.  How long was it between that and when she became one of the Love Boat Mermaids?)

-- Don

Don Howard

Final episode mentions
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2003, 01:10:23 AM »
(Also, on the last Dream House, I recall Debbie Bartlett reading one of the prize plugs at the end. How long was it between that and when she became one of the Love Boat Mermaids?)

-- Don

Always happy to answer a question for a fellow Don. Dream House went off the air in June 1984 and her debut as a Mermaid was in the fall of 1985 when the Jack Jones theme was dumped in favor of a Dionne Warwick-sung Love Boat opening theme. Between those gigs, she was the model on the Bill Rafferty-hosted and very entertaining Every Second Counts ('84-'85 season in syndication).

calliaume

Final episode mentions
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2003, 10:08:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 01:10 AM\']
(Also, on the last Dream House, I recall Debbie Bartlett reading one of the prize plugs at the end. How long was it between that and when she became one of the Love Boat Mermaids?)

-- Don

Always happy to answer a question for a fellow Don. Dream House went off the air in June 1984 and her debut as a Mermaid was in the fall of 1985 when the Jack Jones theme was dumped in favor of a Dionne Warwick-sung Love Boat opening theme. Between those gigs, she was the model on the Bill Rafferty-hosted and very entertaining Every Second Counts ('84-'85 season in syndication). [/quote]
 One of her fellow Mermaids was future Lois & Clark babe Teri Hatcher.  Gee, we probably could have determined that they were real and spectacular right then and there.

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2003, 10:11:48 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 10:08 AM\']
One of her fellow Mermaids was future Lois & Clark babe Teri Hatcher.  Gee, we probably could have determined that they were real and spectacular right then and there. [/quote]
According to a humorous Usenet post circa 2001, Curt A. himself took ZHIFUITH to mean Zach Horan is Found Under the Influence of Teri Hatcher, and Heidi Cayn Friedman is cuter than Teri Hatcher(or was in the early 80s, anyway). The rest of that thread goes against the guidelines of this board so I won't go into it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 10:23:49 AM by zachhoran »

Esoteric Eric

Final episode mentions
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2003, 12:17:21 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 07:11 PM\'](Also, on the last Dream House, I recall Debbie Bartlett reading one of the prize plugs at the end.  How long was it between that and when she became one of the Love Boat Mermaids?)[/quote]
... and on another tangent, on the last episode of the *original* ABC version of Dream House, the last segment was taped in the empty studio with the set struck.  Mike Darrow, in his street clothes with leather jacket and mic in hand, leaned against a tall stepladder and sang:

"The party's over... / It's time to call it a day / They've burst your pretty balloon / And taken the moon away..."

Then he said: "The party's over for Dream House..." and proceeded to reel off the statistics for the overall series (total prizes won, number of houses won, etc.)  Then he bid the home audience farewell, and walked off stage right and out of the studio while the credits rolled.

Esoteric Eric. who remembers that at least a couple of other ABC shows of the era (definitely the David Steinberg - hosted "The Music Scene"; not a game show, I know...) had a similar deconstruction - themed ending
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Winkfan

Final episode mentions
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2003, 05:15:36 PM »
... and on another tangent, on the last episode of the original ABC version of Dream House, the last segment was taped in the empty studio with the set struck.  Mike Darrow, in his street clothes with leather jacket and mic in hand, leaned against a tall stepladder and sang:

"The party's over... / It's time to call it a day / They've burst your pretty balloon / And taken the moon away..."

Then he said: "The party's over for Dream House..."
(sigh) What I wouldn't give for a tape of that final DH show from 1970.....

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Rita Hayes of the Big Board!' (who already has the 1984 DH finale in her collection!)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:37:23 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

ChuckNet

Final episode mentions
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2003, 02:17:48 PM »
Garagiola's final TTTT signoff was really more cryptic than rambling:

"Hey, for some reason, I only have five seconds to say goodbye and I'm kind of glad because it's kind of a . . . different goodbye. And it's known only to us. See you again."

No doubt it had to w/the then-standard process of "bicycling" syndie shows...would've been odd to have an "official" goodbye on an ep that may have aired earlier that season in some parts of the country.

A similar gambit took place on the last syndie DG in 1980...during the opening teaser w/celeb contestant Jaye P. Morgan, Chuck Barris could be seen sweeping in the background, and then after the kiss goodbye at the end, Chuckie Baby could be seen walking across the set, jacket slung over his shoulder as if to say "That's it, and I'm outta here."

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Don Howard

Final episode mentions
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2003, 03:08:06 AM »
Last Joker's Wild with Bill Cullen--after the announcement that the ensuing weeks would be offering "choice shows" {which is nonsense as said "choice shows" were always the first 13 weeks of the season just completed} his final words were, "Hope to see you again and soon".

Last Celebrity Bullseye--Jim Lange altered his usual close to say, "Hope everything in your whole life hits the bullseye". After Charlie O. finished the rattle, the music didn't forward to the spot where it usually went to at that point. Some of the behind the scenes personnel were shown as the credits rolled.

Last new 1993 Scrabble before starting a few weeks of reruns before cancellation--the Chucker's last words were simply, "Bye, you guys".

Last All-Star Blitz--one of the last puzzles was ALL STAR BLITZ. Peter Marshall's last words were simply, "I'll see you soon again" with no mention of the cancellation.

Last Now You See It with Chuck Henry--I forget the speech Chuck made but he did so with a number of staff members on stage. Announcer Don Morrow appeared on stage on camera after telling the viewing audience that the preceding was A Mark Goodson Television Production.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 05:19:08 AM by Don Howard »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Final episode mentions
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2003, 01:45:06 PM »
Last Now You See It with Chuck Henry--I forget the speech Chuck made but he did so with a number of staff members on stage.

He said some sort of thing about all the people it took to put on the show. In fact, the entire show was hilarious including the inept player in round one who kept buzzing in a'la Sang. In the end, Gary Dawson paid the final winner in play money. Chuck threw some of the cue card people's cards off the stage.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

JMFabiano

Final episode mentions
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2003, 03:51:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 03:08 AM\']

Last Celebrity Bullseye--Jim Lange altered his usual close to say, "Hope everything in your whole life hits the bullseye". After Charlie O. finished the rattle, the music didn't forward to the spot where it usually went to at that point. Some of the behind the scenes personnel were shown as the credits rolled.
 [/quote]
 I assume you mean when it would just go to the end of the theme when the announcer made the B&E announcement (and when the "animated" Bullseye logo was struck by lightning).  In that case, I think they stopped doing that a ways into the run, as I recall having a few regular Bullseye episodes with end credits lacking the jump to theme's end.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.