Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final episode mentions  (Read 38046 times)

J.R.

Final episode mentions
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2003, 10:25:49 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 03:24 AM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 11:13 PM\'] Thank goodness it wasn't unill 2000 that it did come back ! [/quote]
Speak for yourself. I thought TTTT '90 (or '91 or whatever) was exceptional. [/quote]
 I wasn't talking about the show, which I totally agree was excellent. I was refering to having Trebek hosting it again. He really wasn't that good on the show, Alex just isn't good with all-celeb shows.

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2003, 10:39:54 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 10:25 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 03:24 AM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 11:13 PM\'] Thank goodness it wasn't unill 2000 that it did come back ! [/quote]
Speak for yourself. I thought TTTT '90 (or '91 or whatever) was exceptional. [/quote]
I wasn't talking about the show, which I totally agree was excellent. I was refering to having Trebek hosting it again. He really wasn't that good on the show, Alex just isn't good with all-celeb shows.

-Joe R. [/quote]
 Trebek wasn't maybe in Gordon Elliott's league(at least for TTTT), but he was a bit better than Lynn Swann. Trebek was the only person to host three five-day-a-week shows when he did TTTT(Jeopardy! and Classic Concentration of course were the others). All those shows, plus a new baby(Mark Goodson of course subbed for Alex for two shows early in Trebek's tenure because his wife was giving birth), probably wore him down a bit.

That Don Guy

Final episode mentions
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2003, 11:30:54 AM »
I can think of a few that haven't been mentioned yet.  (To make things easier, and much shorter, I'll stick to the ones that didn't mention it.)
The Moneymaze did not; in fact, it ran reruns in its last week, all with $10,000 winners (and the last episode was a rerun of the last first-run ep which aired seven days earlier).  
Also, the original Sale of the Century didn't mention it on the show itself; the winning couple said that they were coming back on the next show, but over the closing credits, the announcer said that since this was the last episode, the producers decided to give them their prize (I think it was a trip to Acapulco) anyway.

Considering how many times a "last episode" thread starts up, maybe there should be a "permanent" thread with a list of them?  (Everything from the Rhyme & Reason set and the Dream House house win to the "cancellation bell" of Bill Cullen's Blankety Blanks...)

-- Don (and I still think ABC never aired the last Family Feud on the west coast, or at least in the San Francisco area; I remember taping it and remarking that they say that the winning family would be back "on the next show"...)

Jimmy Owen

Final episode mentions
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2003, 11:40:33 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 11:30 AM\']

-- Don (and I still think ABC never aired the last Family Feud on the west coast, or at least in the San Francisco area; I remember taping it and remarking that they say that the winning family would be back "on the next show"...) [/quote]
 I'm beginning to think the "last show" was never aired on ABC.  I remember taping the show on that last Friday of "Feud" off WXYZ-TV in Detroit and it certainly didn't have the speech seen on GSN.  I have the tape around somewhere (finding it is another story.)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Final episode mentions
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2003, 11:42:37 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 10:30 AM\'] -- Don (and I still think ABC never aired the last Family Feud on the west coast, or at least in the San Francisco area; I remember taping it and remarking that they say that the winning family would be back "on the next show"...) [/quote]
 You know, it's funny. I have the same recollection and I'm in Chicago.  It seemed that the final episode of FF was just a normal episode when I viewed the tape later that day (without any standing ovations from the audience or speeches from Dawson--it wasn't until I saw it for the first time during the Y2Play marathon that I was aware any such episode had existed).  Up till now, I had always assumed that maybe I had just taped the wrong day once I saw the episode, but maybe that wasn't the case.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

Final episode mentions
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2003, 11:43:18 AM »

-- Don (and I still think ABC never aired the last Family Feud on the west coast, or at least in the San Francisco area; I remember taping it and remarking that they say that the winning family would be back "on the next show"...) 

I'm beginning to think the "last show" was never aired on ABC. I remember taping the show on that last Friday of "Feud" off WXYZ-TV in Detroit and it certainly didn't have the speech seen on GSN. I have the tape around somewhere (finding it is another story.)

Is it possible that those stations were airing the show on a one-day delay?  Maybe the finale actually aired on those stations the following Monday.

In my area, WOKR Rochester was running it at 10:30 a.m. on a one-day delay, so the finale did air on the Monday, instead of the Friday.  The Buffalo ABC station didn't carry it at all the last couple of years.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

Final episode mentions
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2003, 11:46:41 AM »
The original Battlestars did not have Alex mention the finale, but the finale of the 1983 revival did have a proper goodbye(ALex said during the show that the New Battlestars would soon the The Old Battlestars).

Alex didn't directly mention it, but at the end he didn't say they'd be back on Monday.

Although I like to hear the "goodbye" speeches on final episodes, and am disappointed when one isn't made, I wonder if sometimes the producer of the show just feels better to let it end rather than making a big deal about it.  Afterall, it has to be upsetting to everyone involved that they won't be doing the show anymore.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2003, 11:49:29 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 11:42 AM\'] [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 10:30 AM\'] -- Don (and I still think ABC never aired the last Family Feud on the west coast, or at least in the San Francisco area; I remember taping it and remarking that they say that the winning family would be back "on the next show"...) [/quote]
You know, it's funny. I have the same recollection and I'm in Chicago.  It seemed that the final episode of FF was just a normal episode when I viewed the tape later that day (without any standing ovations from the audience or speeches from Dawson--it wasn't until I saw it for the first time during the Y2Play marathon that I was aware any such episode had existed).  Up till now, I had always assumed that maybe I had just taped the wrong day once I saw the episode, but maybe that wasn't the case.

Doug [/quote]
 We reported on Usenet a couple of years ago that a plane crash occurred the day the Dawson ABC Feud finale aired, possibly preempting it in some cities. If the show aired in the afternoon in your area or on a one-day delay, it probably aired in those areas.

SRIV94

Final episode mentions
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2003, 11:50:48 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 09:25 AM\'] I wasn't talking about the show, which I totally agree was excellent. I was refering to having Trebek hosting it again. He really wasn't that good on the show, Alex just isn't good with all-celeb shows.
 [/quote]
 I'm not sure I totally agree with that.  I thought he was pretty good with BATTLESTARS.  I'll admit that the 1981-82 version didn't do much for me, only because it was replacing CS on the schedule (and I was mad at NBC for dropping CS).  But I let bygones be bygones for the 1983 version, which I enjoyed (apparently I was the only one ;) ).  And I never had a problem with his TTTT work, or even his CELEBRITY J! forays.

Of course, that's just one man's opinion.  I could be wrong.

Doug
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SRIV94

Final episode mentions
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2003, 12:12:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 10:43 AM\'] Is it possible that those stations were airing the show on a one-day delay?  Maybe the finale actually aired on those stations the following Monday.

In my area, WOKR Rochester was running it at 10:30 a.m. on a one-day delay, so the finale did air on the Monday, instead of the Friday.  The Buffalo ABC station didn't carry it at all the last couple of years. [/quote]
 Anything's possible.  At that time, CBS O&O WBBM ran all four CBS game shows on a one-day delay, so it wouldn't necessarily have been unusual for ABC O&O WLS to do the same thing (and no one would know the difference unless they kept stringent track)--although WLS did run FF at the same time as most of the rest of the network, so I have doubts that they had it on delay.  I also don't recall WLS airing FF the following Monday (and heck, I don't remember what ABC replaced it with [five brownie points if someone other than Zach comes up with it first ;) ]).

Doug
Doug

Jimmy Owen

Final episode mentions
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2003, 12:17:02 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 11:49 AM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 11:42 AM\'] [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 10:30 AM\'] -- Don (and I still think ABC never aired the last Family Feud on the west coast, or at least in the San Francisco area; I remember taping it and remarking that they say that the winning family would be back "on the next show"...) [/quote]

Doug [/quote]
We reported on Usenet a couple of years ago that a plane crash occurred the day the Dawson ABC Feud finale aired, possibly preempting it in some cities. If the show aired in the afternoon in your area or on a one-day delay, it probably aired in those areas. [/quote]
 Well, San Francisco, Chicago and Detroit (where I taped it) were ABC O&O cities in 1985, so what the network did, they did. When Cap Cities bought ABC in 1986 it transfered WXYZ to Scripps-Howard because Cap Cities wanted to keep their Detroit radio stations, after that WXYZ was free to pre-empt.  Unless the O&O's were told to air a different FF show that day.

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2003, 12:20:38 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 12:12 PM\'] I also don't recall WLS airing FF the following Monday (and heck, I don't remember what ABC replaced it with [five brownie points if someone other than Zach comes up with it first ;) ]).

[/quote]
 It was reruns of Angie, which of course had an episode with the family appearing on Feud. They didn't use the real Feud set at the time for the Angie episode. Donna Pescow even appeared on All-Star Blitz at the time to promote reruns of a sitcom which went off the air three or four years earlier.

Jimmy Owen

Final episode mentions
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2003, 12:30:49 PM »
I guess the question is "Does anyone remember seeing the last episode of FF with the farewell speech on ABC?"  Three of us oldsters remember it not being on the last day of the run.

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2003, 12:36:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 19 2003, 12:30 PM\'] I guess the question is "Does anyone remember seeing the last episode of FF with the farewell speech on ABC?"  Three of us oldsters remember it not being on the last day of the run. [/quote]
 I honestly didn't know Feud was going off the ABC air(I read in January 1985 about the syndie version not returning for the 1985-86 season) until shortly after the last episode aired, so I didn't see the finale until GSN aired it as part of the 25th Anniversary of Feud marathon in July 2001.

DrBear

Final episode mentions
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2003, 02:06:35 PM »
You mean this thread has gone into its second page and nobody's mentioned Rod Roddy's classic "you want to be a contestant" plug on "Hit Man?"
Edit...oops, sorry
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 05:10:25 PM by DrBear »
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.