Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final episode mentions  (Read 37967 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Final episode mentions
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2003, 12:46:59 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:59 AM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 12:09 AM\']

Speaking of the last CC episode. It's very obvious watcing it tha Alex is very bitter the show is closing, a LOT of sarcastic comments are made, at the end of the episode Alex says in a rather somber voice: "We've enjoyed having you with us... so long everyone."

It didn't help he had to endure two of the most ANNOYING contestants in the History of Modern Game Shows in the first half.

-Joe R. [/quote]
Apparently Alex tried to convince NBC to do new episodes of Concentration shortly after the reruns began. The reruns(which were only year-old reruns when the show first started airing, then by early 1993 they jumped back to 1987-88 shows) were getting just as decent ratings as the first run shows were. [/quote]
 Speaking of Alex Trebek, did he have some kind of excusive contract to NBC.  I don't recall him hosting any shows on another network after Double Dare.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Final episode mentions
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2003, 01:04:13 PM »
SCRABBLE93 and SCATTERGORIES made no mention of their cancellations (of course, both showed reruns their final few weeks).  I never saw the daytime finales for WoF or CC (the final week of WoF never aired in Chicago in favor of WMAQ's new 9AM news program, and although the final week of CC did air in Chicago [run three hours later] I didn't see it and forgot to tape it).

Then there were shows that did mention their cancellation but did it in a rather cheesy way--through editing.  The 12/31/87 and 7/1/88 finales of PYRAMID had a snipped-in Dick Clark announcing that it was the end of the run, and if I recall correctly the finale of LAS VEGAS GAMBIT had a videotape of Wink in a circular effect (like those used on programs that are signed for the hearing-impaired, or Garrett Morris' translations of "Weekend Update") as the program was ending, or maybe it was just a voiceover.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jay Temple

Final episode mentions
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2003, 01:51:49 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 11:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 11:24 PM\'] However, the champion from the finale of $100K in 1988 returned for the Davidson $100 premiere. [/quote]
"The $100 Pyramid" ! Wow, thats cheep. [/quote]
 Yes, they played the 7-11 for $7.11.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

PeterTomarkensGal

Final episode mentions
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2003, 01:59:10 PM »
"Hit Man" made mention of its finale with the famous contestant plug -

"If you'd like to be a contestant on Hit Man, forget it!"

BrandonFG

Final episode mentions
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2003, 03:06:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 12:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:59 AM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 12:09 AM\']

Speaking of the last CC episode. It's very obvious watcing it tha Alex is very bitter the show is closing, a LOT of sarcastic comments are made, at the end of the episode Alex says in a rather somber voice: "We've enjoyed having you with us... so long everyone."

It didn't help he had to endure two of the most ANNOYING contestants in the History of Modern Game Shows in the first half.

-Joe R. [/quote]
Apparently Alex tried to convince NBC to do new episodes of Concentration shortly after the reruns began. The reruns(which were only year-old reruns when the show first started airing, then by early 1993 they jumped back to 1987-88 shows) were getting just as decent ratings as the first run shows were. [/quote]
Speaking of Alex Trebek, did he have some kind of excusive contract to NBC.  I don't recall him hosting any shows on another network after Double Dare. [/quote]
 Don't know if it would count for much, but weren't at least one of the pilots he did done for ABC? Either "Mama Non Mama" and/or "Lucky Numbers."
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Starkman

Final episode mentions
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2003, 03:57:10 PM »
Summers DD you can tell had lost it's chemstry without Harvey and the fact you couldnt have a find the flag in the mess of gak obsticle without summers going 100% bonkers if the player didnt find it in 5 seconds (dunno if it was Summer's ocd manifesting itself on the air but it was wierd) As for the 1996 comment, i often thought he may have learned of nick's (wholesale) plans to spin all non SNICK originals into reruns regardless of ratings... ironically the last cycle of FDD93 reruns was in 1996. A practice that I truly believe was a great white fin in the water for the quality of programming on Nick.

Because of the ability of kids shows to be rerun to a fresh audience early and often i believe there hasn't been a kids game show that has mentioned its finalie outright.

Although I do remember a Pick your Brain incident where summers brings someone's daughter in an college sweater marked "MIT: Moshie's institite of technology (and acting) some sort of inside joke and or a bringing out of backstage folk. Someone remember this incident. (tangent: I liked PYB, certainly the highest prize ever offered on a kids game show, if only the relyance on fee plugs to pay the bills wasnt there and better acting on the Hit Man style interviews were there we may have had a hit)

(of course one of the most famous finalies in TV history was a kids show when Clarbell says "good bye, kids" on the last howdy doody)

rugrats1

Final episode mentions
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2003, 06:45:40 PM »
I remember on Jackpot '90, no mention and Geoff said something like "See you on Monday.

Of course, this is because the show's syndicator hadn't any money to make a proper final episode, as they went bankrupt.

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2003, 07:06:54 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 03:06 PM\']
Speaking of Alex Trebek, did he have some kind of excusive contract to NBC.  I don't recall him hosting any shows on another network after Double Dare. [/QUOTE]
Don't know if it would count for much, but weren't at least one of the pilots he did done for ABC? Either "Mama Non Mama" and/or "Lucky Numbers." [/quote]
 M'Ama was done for ABC, as was Second Guess(a pilot Alex did for  Marty "Catch Phrase" Pasetta for a couples Q&A show c. 1986, as Splitsecond pointed out a while back) and don't forget Trebek did Super Jeopardy! for ABC.

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2003, 07:10:19 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 12:39 AM\'] .  And indeed, episodes were reran a couple of years after the show went off the air.  I remember seeing Perry CS on KYW-3 (then Philly's NBC) around 1982-83.  Think they aired at noon?

And didn't the last Eubanks CS have a ticket plug, or am I imagining things?!!? [/quote]
 Perry CS reruns did air on a lot of stations from 1982-84. KYW ran it at 11:30AM early on(aired it instead of Hit Man in fact), and then moved it to 12:30PM EST(replacing Search for Tomorrow) when Dream House debuted and they picked DH up. CBN ran Perry CS in 1984-85.

EUbanks CS's finale did indeed have a contestant plug for their San Diego office IIRC about midway through the episode.

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2003, 07:15:51 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 07:57 AM\']

What about NYSI '89, Caesear's Challenge, Trivia Trap, Just Men, Bargain Hunters (even if you don't care), Blackout, and the original Battlestars? [/quote]
 NYSI89, Blackout, and Trivia Trap did indeed have their finales mentioned. The original Battlestars did not have Alex mention the finale, but the finale of the 1983 revival did have a proper goodbye(ALex said during the show that the New Battlestars would soon the The Old Battlestars). Blackout's was notable in that JOhnny Gilbert was ill for that last taping, and Jay Stewart filled in. It was Stewart's last time announcing a game show, though he still was an agent for game show talent before his Fall 1989 suicide. I didn't see the last Caesar or Just Men episode(though JM was axed fairly quickly, reportedly after Grant Tinker was home ill one day and saw the show and decided it wasn't a good vehicle for Betty WHite), and Bargain Hunters didn't have a goodbye as I recall.

ChuckNet

Final episode mentions
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2003, 10:04:30 PM »
The end didn't get a mention from Clark, but did from celebrity player Henry Polic II. After the final Winner's Circle, you can hear Polic mention that the $300 box (something like "Things that Finish") was Bob Stewart's way of mentioning the end of the show.

Then, in the final wrap-up, Polic thanks a bunch of the behind-the-scenes folks.

Also, both Polic and fellow celeb Teresa Ganzel were dressed in formal wear for the ep so they supposedly wouldn't have to change for the wrap party afterwards.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

J.R.

Final episode mentions
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2003, 01:13:38 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 10:04 PM\'] Also, both Polic and fellow celeb Teresa Ganzel were dressed in formal wear for the ep so they supposedly wouldn't have to change for the wrap party afterwards.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Alex and the stars did the same thing on the final episode of TTTT in 1991.

The mention was also made at the end too, with Alex saying something to the effect of: "... and I'm confident the show will return again very soon and when it does, I would love to be a part of it again as well."

Thank goodness it wasn't unill 2000 that it did come back !
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Final episode mentions
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2003, 03:24:35 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 11:13 PM\'] Thank goodness it wasn't unill 2000 that it did come back ! [/quote]
 Speak for yourself. I thought TTTT '90 (or '91 or whatever) was exceptional.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Final episode mentions
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2003, 06:38:34 AM »
the fact you couldnt have a find the flag in the mess of gak obsticle without summers going 100% bonkers if the player didnt find it in 5 seconds

I didn't notice this as much as other things he said that season. All '92, he was railing on people during physical challenges like that. "Ohhhhhh, they're never gonna do it now!" he might say if they fell off the log once in the "cross Lake Double Dare" challenge.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Starkman

Final episode mentions
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2003, 09:03:31 AM »
Yeah i remember the PC railing too, the patricular thing bout the find the flag obsticles that got me was he would just go on and on bout ppl being hired to place the flag. When I first saw him doing that I thought it was because of the infamous Nightmare incident where twice the crew DIDNT place the flag but the nightmare incident was in the 1st season (but only made public in 1990 in the behind the slop video) and he was carrying on in the show's 7th season???

He would be like "Its gotta be in there, its gotta be in there, we pay people to put that in there" (To get the full effect first drink 4 espressos and then ignore the spaces i put in there and repeat 50 times and you will see what Im meaning)

I dunno i just think the final FDD season was getting tired, but it wasnt that bad aside that it was quite possibly one of the more rerun abused (non aminated) nick shows out there
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 09:07:02 AM by Starkman »