Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Final episode mentions  (Read 38023 times)

gsnstooge

Final episode mentions
« on: December 17, 2003, 03:53:20 PM »
What game show finale episodes were mentioned on the episode that it was last and which ones weren't.  For example on the last epsiode of Classic Concentration, no mention was made.

beatlefreak84

Final episode mentions
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 10:32:02 PM »
You've opened up quite a can of worms, my friend; do you know HOW many game shows can be listed here?  Every last one!  :)

However, I will say two shows which I thought deserved mention of the last episode but didn't:

Press Your Luck
Match Game (all '70s versions)

To make it a little more feasible to answer, I'll rephrase the question:  What game shows didn't get a mention of the final episode, but should have?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Little Big Brother

Final episode mentions
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 10:55:22 PM »
I believe $100,000 Pyramid (Clark) did not get a mention.  They had a tournament the final week which ended in three or four days (it is the one tournament that I actually have not seen :-(  ) and picked up right where the returning contestant left off.  However, there was no mention of how to become eligible for the next tourney (since there wouldn't be a next one) and on the Friday episode, both players winnings were phrased in the "you didn't win but you leave us with..." tone of voice.

The end was implied, but I don't think it was ever expressed.

Now Super Password, that had a good final episode (goodbye magic toaster).  I'll have to dig up the tape of the Y2Play marathon when I'm home for break.

Fedya

Final episode mentions
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 11:10:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:55 PM\'] The end was implied, but I don't think it was ever expressed. [/quote]
 The end didn't get a mention from Clark, but did from celebrity player Henry Polic II.  After the final Winner's Circle, you can hear Polic mention that the $300 box (something like "Things that Finish") was Bob Stewart's way of mentioning the end of the show.

Then, in the final wrap-up, Polic thanks a bunch of the behind-the-scenes folks.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 11:24:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 11:10 PM\'] [quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:55 PM\'] The end was implied, but I don't think it was ever expressed. [/quote]
The end didn't get a mention from Clark, but did from celebrity player Henry Polic II.  After the final Winner's Circle, you can hear Polic mention that the $300 box (something like "Things that Finish") was Bob Stewart's way of mentioning the end of the show.

Then, in the final wrap-up, Polic thanks a bunch of the behind-the-scenes folks. [/quote]
 However, the champion from the finale of $100K in 1988 returned for the Davidson $100 premiere.

jrjgames

Final episode mentions
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 11:46:39 PM »
A lot of shows, like Classic Concentration dont mention its the final show as the show continued to air on the network in reruns.  I recall Card Sharks Perry having a final ep and CBN running a crawl at the bottom telling viewers that reruns would continue to air.

John

J.R.

Final episode mentions
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 12:09:31 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 11:24 PM\'] However, the champion from the finale of $100K in 1988 returned for the Davidson $100 premiere. [/quote]
 "The $100 Pyramid" ! Wow, thats cheep.

Speaking of the last CC episode. It's very obvious watcing it tha Alex is very bitter the show is closing, a LOT of sarcastic comments are made, at the end of the episode Alex says in a rather somber voice: "We've enjoyed having you with us... so long everyone."

It didn't help he had to endure two of the most ANNOYING contestants in the History of Modern Game Shows in the first half.

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

JMFabiano

Final episode mentions
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 12:39:58 AM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 11:46 PM\'] A lot of shows, like Classic Concentration dont mention its the final show as the show continued to air on the network in reruns.  I recall Card Sharks Perry having a final ep and CBN running a crawl at the bottom telling viewers that reruns would continue to air.

John [/quote]
 IIRC, the original broadcast (?) of the Perry CS finale on the trading circuit had a similar message for whatever station it was being shown on.  And indeed, episodes were reran a couple of years after the show went off the air.  I remember seeing Perry CS on KYW-3 (then Philly's NBC) around 1982-83.  Think they aired at noon?

Regarding the $100K Pyramid finale...they liked to do that, didn't they?  (See also: "Things that come to an end" in the $20K finale)  The last Davidson episode was weird, as I think they acknowledged it being the last but still, John did the "see you next week" spiel.  And didn't the last Eubanks CS have a ticket plug, or am I imagining things?!!?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

gameshowguy2000

Final episode mentions
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 12:56:40 AM »
Just like CS '78, CS '86 also had their finale mentioned, and it was mentioned by a very emotional Bob Eubanks. And like CS '78, the closing credits rolled one last time.

The finale of the first Dawson version of FF was mentioned by a very emotional Richard, who mentioned why he'd kiss women, etc., etc. If only he could've kissed women on the 1994 version (and I don't know why he chose not to kiss women in the 1994 version. Anyone want to help me out?)...

However, for his successor, Ray Combs, the finale (which I think was mentioned) did NOT go so well. The winning family scored only 77 points in Fast Money, for $385. The second player was dumber than the first, and made 3 goose eggs.

Ray said that "It was the first (and I hopefully wish it were the LAST) time someone got no points in Fast Money, and that's a mighty damn fine way to go out. I thought I was a loser until you walked up here..."

We'd see him leave the stage during the final segment (closing credits), and after that, he just left the studio building, and immediately got in his car and drove away. And we all know it was only downhill from there, from a not so successful Family Challenge, to his marriage problems, to the ultimate point: His suicide, which he left NO note, after hanging himself in an LA hospital.

(100 posts, and still going strong!)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 06:40:39 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Final episode mentions
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 01:24:27 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:56 PM\'] (and I don't know why he chose not to kiss women in the 1994 version. Anyone want to help me out?)...
 [/quote]
 The way he told the story to Jay Leno, he was showing a recording of the show to his young daughter, who asked him why he was kissing someone who wasn't Mommy. He decided at that moment there would be no more kissing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pyrfan

Final episode mentions
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 01:42:44 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 12:39 AM\']The last Davidson episode was weird, as I think they acknowledged it being the last but still, John did the "see you next week" spiel.[/quote]
Actually, I'm pretty sure that as that episode was taped, they were confident that the show would be back in production after the holidays. I auditioned for the game in December 1991, and the contestant coordinators said there would be two more weeks of new shows taped before their hiatus, one of them being the tournament week. Given that they weren't taping during my trip, I don't think they would have let me fly in from Pittsburgh to audition if they thought the show would not be returning from hiatus.

Also, add "Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour" to the list of shows that never got a final-episode mention.

Brendan

jw2001

Final episode mentions
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 02:00:41 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:32 PM\']What game shows didn't get a mention of the final episode, but should have?[/quote]
On Family Double Dare's finale, Marc never made mention of it being the end of the series.  Instead, he said, "Stay tuned next year for the 1994 Tournament of Champions!", which is kind of ironic because during the final season Marc noted on the air: "We're back with all new episodes, unless of course then if it's 1996, then sorry!"  A mention probably should have been made, as FDD was canceled after the 92-93 season.  Oh well...

Joe

gsnstooge

Final episode mentions
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 07:57:17 AM »
I remember on Jackpot '90, no mention and Geoff said something like "See you on Monday.

What about NYSI '89, Caesear's Challenge, Trivia Trap, Just Men, Bargain Hunters (even if you don't care), Blackout, and the original Battlestars?

zachhoran

Final episode mentions
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2003, 07:59:44 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 12:09 AM\']

Speaking of the last CC episode. It's very obvious watcing it tha Alex is very bitter the show is closing, a LOT of sarcastic comments are made, at the end of the episode Alex says in a rather somber voice: "We've enjoyed having you with us... so long everyone."

It didn't help he had to endure two of the most ANNOYING contestants in the History of Modern Game Shows in the first half.

-Joe R. [/quote]
 Apparently Alex tried to convince NBC to do new episodes of Concentration shortly after the reruns began. The reruns(which were only year-old reruns when the show first started airing, then by early 1993 they jumped back to 1987-88 shows) were getting just as decent ratings as the first run shows were.

uncamark

Final episode mentions
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003, 12:43:43 PM »
[quote name=\'jw2001\' date=\'Dec 18 2003, 02:00 AM\'][quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Dec 17 2003, 10:32 PM\']What game shows didn't get a mention of the final episode, but should have?[/quote]
On Family Double Dare's finale, Marc never made mention of it being the end of the series.  Instead, he said, "Stay tuned next year for the 1994 Tournament of Champions!", which is kind of ironic because during the final season Marc noted on the air: "We're back with all new episodes, unless of course then if it's 1996, then sorry!"  A mention probably should have been made, as FDD was canceled after the 92-93 season.  Oh well...[/quote]
That's how it is for most cable shows, since they usually tape the whole season in one period of time weeks (if not months) before the shows even air.  Marc was probably confident that they'd be back for another series--and after seven years on the air in (mostly) first-run production (and that group of "Family" shows was among the strongest "DD" eps in the series, thanks to those fathers who did almost every stunt with no hesitation and great gusto--they were truly fun to watch), I wouldn't blame him for being confident.