Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What revival do you think GSN would do well with?  (Read 10321 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
What revival do you think GSN would do well with?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »
I think we should have more than just The Pyramid (and really, I'd like to see a second season so they can iron out the little things) before we trip over ourselves to say "Let's get a revival of every game show in the history of television ever."
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 11:37:18 PM »
Sony has a somewhat large music publishing company, so maybe they could come up with a music-based show which only uses Sony-controlled songs.  If you want to go cheap, revive WML with all civilians (including panel) with small cash prizes or costume jewelry to panelists who ferret out the occupations or to the jobholder if the panel is stumped.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
I think we should have more than just The Pyramid (and really, I'd like to see a second season so they can iron out the little things) before we trip over ourselves to say "Let's get a revival of every game show in the history of television ever."
You must be new here.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »
What about ESP, with Seth MacFarlane replacing Vincent Price as host?

I really think it could work.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:20:17 PM by MyronMMeyer »

SamJ93

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »
What about ESP, with Seth MacFarlane replacing Vincent Price as host?

I really think it could work.

Bleh. Played out. How about a revival of "Joe Garagiola's Memory Game," with Jeff Garlin playing the role of Joe Garagiola (just like Paul Reubens on "You Don't Know Jack") so viewers wouldn't be confused by a title change.

In all seriousness, I think "Catch Phrase" would make a good companion to Pyramid, with a little tweaking from the original (mainly in the flawed scoring system).
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

toddyo

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
Music rights can be overcome.
How do you overcome music rights?
Take a page from Conan O'Brien's book.

Use the music, pay Harry Fox Agency (or pre-clear) for royalties. Production company takes right off on costs as business expense.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »
Production company takes right off on costs as business expense.
They do? Like a rocket?
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 02:46:29 PM »
Production company takes right off on costs as business expense.
They do? Like a rocket?

All write, all write, there's no need to get snarky.
czambo@mac.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
We know who would win and who wouldn't if Homonym became a game show, don't we. :) I will also say that I don't think Toddyo quite gets how music rights and clearances work, or the money involved. You don't just write off a business expense because it annoys you.
Travis L. Eberle

dale_grass

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »
Sounds like a lot of folks need a lesson in write-offs:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upifaeK0B5U[/media]

Lirodon

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
Actually, given that right now they're rating higher than The Pyramid, do you think Dog Eat Dog or Minute to Win It could have good revival potential in GSN's realm? Personally, I've always felt that Minute could probably work better as a lower-budget show ($100,000 top prize), since they wouldn't have to try and make everything tense just for the sake of "Top prize is $1,000,000; thus we have to make it feel like Millionaire" logic. It's meant to be a fun show, but NBC only wrecked it by turning it into Deal or No Deal, climate-wise. Plus, if they kept that Super Coin game as the final round, they wouldn't even need to give away the $100,000 at all.

toddyo

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »
Toddyo does  (and I hate auto speller).    I acquire third party rights of a large company. Never said purchasing rights is annoying. It takes making a list (request), submitting it to the Agency or rights holders to get permission. You negotiate rights fees, sign an agreement and pay them.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
Actually, given that right now they're rating higher than The Pyramid, do you think Dog Eat Dog or Minute to Win It could have good revival potential in GSN's realm? Personally, I've always felt that Minute could probably work better as a lower-budget show ($100,000 top prize), since they wouldn't have to try and make everything tense just for the sake of "Top prize is $1,000,000; thus we have to make it feel like Millionaire" logic. It's meant to be a fun show, but NBC only wrecked it by turning it into Deal or No Deal, climate-wise. Plus, if they kept that Super Coin game as the final round, they wouldn't even need to give away the $100,000 at all.
Was this all meant to be funny? Because if it was, mission accomplished.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 12:59:07 PM »
You negotiate rights fees, sign an agreement and pay them.
Except you seem to be missing the most basic point: why pay them when you can do something else that pulls the same numbers, and *not* pay them?

This is the same reason that I Heart Schadenfreude and Minute To Win It would never fly: they both take far too much post-production work to be watchable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »
With the all the love Steve's FF has been getting and our neighbors to the north taking a cue, how about Match Game? Not too much of a payout, they can find some decent celebs and bing, bang, boom. I don't think they'd fall into the "obvious over-the-line answer is obvious" category that MG98 did, but I can only hope it wouldn't.

Also, with GSN trying to find hybrid reality stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing a What's Going On? revival.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:13:19 PM by jjman920 »
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.